PDA

View Full Version : Official MLB 2009 Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2

TitanTom0987
03-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Well since the season starts next Sunday night (If I'm not mistaken) I figured we should have this thread ready.

Hamels looks like he won't start Opening Night against Atlanta so your Braves might get a win over the Phils next week.

shadowboxin'
03-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Go Rangers!

http://i42.tinypic.com/6dr8d3.jpg

Zephyr
04-05-2009, 05:14 PM
First pitch tonight, 6:15 CT Bravos @ Phillies

Upgraded rotation for the Braves this season, I like it.

Chop Chop

Jones31
04-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Let's Go Red Sox!

TITAN 1
04-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Braves fan here! Also, my first baseball fantasy league. I have Brian McCann for the Braves and ss Jimmy Rollins for the Phillies.

Jones31
04-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Who designed those Braves uni's?

Gross.

TitanTom0987
04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Braves fan here! Also, my first baseball fantasy league. I have Brian McCann for the Braves and ss Jimmy Rollins for the Phillies.

Same here.

TITAN 1
04-05-2009, 07:30 PM
McCann, 2 run homer!:thumbsup

Sect309Fan
04-05-2009, 08:14 PM
I usually don't get too excited about opening day anymore, but I have watched this entire game so far, mainly to see how good Derek Lowe really is. So far, I am quite impressed. :thumbsup

The bats are doing well, with three homers accounting for the 4 runs (and one double just missed). Jordon Schafer became the 99th player in MLB history to hit a home run in his first major league at bat. :woot

The Braves did absolutely terrible in Philly last year, so a win tonight would be a big confidence boost for this team. 4-0 in the 5th.

TitanTom0987
04-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I usually don't get too excited about opening day anymore, but I have watched this entire game so far, mainly to see how good Derek Lowe really is. So far, I am quite impressed. :thumbsup

The bats are doing well, with three homers accounting for the 4 runs (and one double just missed). Jordon Schafer became the 99th player in MLB history to hit a home run in his first major league at bat. :woot

The Braves did absolutely terrible in Philly last year, so a win tonight would be a big confidence boost for this team. 4-0 in the 5th.

You'll be disappointed fairly quickly.

Bobcat
04-05-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm just happy to be watching a baseball game that actually counts - even if it is the Braves and Phillies... :hide

FearKVB93
04-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Way to go Braves! Lowe looked amazing, too bad Gonzalez blew the shutout, but hey a win is a win. McCann looked good (got him on the fantasy team). Glad to see Jeff get a HR and the rookie. Looking at tonight, we may be pretty good but there's 161 more games.

Sect309Fan
04-06-2009, 07:28 AM
I am quite happy with the win. Last year, the Braves went 4-14 against the Phillies, so this win was encouraging. Lowe looks to be awesome.

I just have a couple of worries after waching the game. One, the Braves didn't manufacture any runs. All 4 runs came on homers, and they also were all scored in the first two innings. The Braves need to be able to score later in the game.

Two, Gonzalez needs to throw more strikes if he is to be the closer. Not many of those pitches were in the zone, but luckily he fooled a few hitters. He did seem to recover better on the last batter.

Jones31
04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Well this just sucks.....

Sect309Fan
04-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Well this just sucks.....

I assume you are talking about the rainout in Boston. (or was it snow?)

Titanico
04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Are the Dodgers finally do something good? Like winning the World Series THIS season? :D

Sect309Fan
04-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Are the Dodgers finally do something good? Like winning the World Series THIS season? :D

With the way baseball has been this decade, anything could happen.

2008 - Phillies
2007 - Red Sox
2006 - Cardinals
2005 - White Sox
2004 - Red Sox
2003 - Marlins
2002 - Angels
2001 - Diamonbacks
2000 - Yankees

Heck, even the losers are unexpected. Rays last year, Rockies 2 years ago, Tigers 3 years ago, and Astros 4 years ago. If you thought predicting the Super Bowl was hard, just try to predict major league baseball. :ohmy

Titanico
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
With the way baseball has been this decade, anything could happen.

That phrase sums it up...the Dodgers do not cause good respect anymore. :cry

They need to earn it back.

Old Oilers Fan
04-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Well I guess the Reds undefeated season didn't start off so good. :lol

Jones31
04-06-2009, 04:44 PM
I assume you are talking about the rainout in Boston. (or was it snow?)

Rain

shadowboxin'
04-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Rangers killed the Tribe today... if they can keep up this newfound "pitching" thing then they damn near might make the playoffs this year.

DelawareTitans
04-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Go Astros! Try not to lose 100 games this season. :doh

kytitansfan1
04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
A good opening day for me. The D-Backs won and the Yankees lost. :thumbsup

DelawareTitans
04-06-2009, 07:38 PM
A good opening day for me. The D-Backs won and the Yankees lost. :thumbsup

It's a good day anytime the Yankees lose, especially when their new mega millions pitcher gets rocked.

titanup23
04-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Lowe looked amazing last night! Great win for the Braves

TitanTom0987
04-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Dirty, stinking, filthy, opening day watah!

ZachLV27
04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Dodgers are 1-0 and they beat Peavy. Good start to the season so far.

MillaKilla8
04-07-2009, 08:09 PM
My Mariners and Dodgers are both 1-0!

FearKVB93
04-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Bravos are 2-0 woooooo!

Titans and Turtles
04-08-2009, 01:00 AM
C'mon Redbirds!!!!

Nice win tonight after giving away opening day.

I really want to see Ankiel succeed even more this year. I love that guy, and think he's such an awesome story.

And Pujols is the man. Perrennial MVP candidate, with the bonus of having a last name that makes my 6 year old fall down laughing every time he hears it.

Sect309Fan
04-08-2009, 06:27 AM
Bravos are 2-0 woooooo!

5 homers in two games, all by different hitters. :thumbsup It's a four game series, so let' try to win it tonight and go for the sweep.

Jones31
04-08-2009, 10:44 AM
BecKKKKKKKKKKett!
Red Sox on ESPN2 tonight.
Lester vs Kazmir.

Zephyr
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Braves going for the sweep today! Looking at the Phillies rotation of Myers, Moyer and Blanton as their 2,3,4 I have no idea how this team won the WS last season?

Sect309Fan
04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Braves going for the sweep today! Looking at the Phillies rotation of Myers, Moyer and Blanton as their 2,3,4 I have no idea how this team won the WS last season?

Their hitters haven't come around. Once they get a lead, they don't lose it (and they didn't lose a single game when leading after 8 innings, an amazing stat). Once they starting hitting again, the pitching will likely improve as well.

Zephyr
04-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Braves leading 10-3 in the 7th, cruising right along....enter, bullpen

What a frickin meltdown

E. O'Flaherty relieved G. Norton
- S. Victorino grounded out to third
- C. Utley singled to center
- R. Howard hit by pitch, C. Utley to second
- P. Moylan relieved E. O'Flaherty
- J. Werth walked, C. Utley to third, R. Howard to second
- R. Ibanez singled to left, C. Utley scored, R. Howard to third, J. Werth to second
- P. Feliz singled to center, R. Howard scored, J. Werth to third, R. Ibanez to second
- M. Stairs hit for C. Ruiz
- M. Stairs walked, J. Werth scored, R. Ibanez to third, P. Feliz to second
- B. Boyer relieved P. Moylan
- C. Coste hit for C. Condrey
- C. Coste walked, R. Ibanez scored, P. Feliz to third, M. Stairs to second
- J. Rollins walked, P. Feliz scored, M. Stairs to third, C. Coste to second
- J. Campillo relieved J. Campillo
- S. Victorino singled to right, M. Stairs scored, C. Coste to third, J. Rollins to second
- C. Utley walked, C. Coste scored, J. Rollins to third, S. Victorino to second
- R. Howard grounded out to first, J. Rollins scored, S. Victorino to third, C. Utley to second
- J. Werth flied out to right
- End of Inning (8 Runs, 4 Hits, 0 Errors)

Jones31
04-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Bwahahaha!

Sect309Fan
04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Good god! :doh What a meltdown.

shadowboxin'
04-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Bravo, Yanks, Bravo.

Bobcat
04-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Someone needs to inform the Braves bullpen that it is perfectly acceptable to throw strikes...

TitanTom0987
04-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Bwahahaha!

I believe this post led to the Sox losing. Bad karma.

Jones31
04-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Nah, blowing a 7 run lead is nothing new to ATL.

Sect309Fan
04-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Nah, blowing a 7 run lead is nothing new to ATL.

:rant

(I wish I could disagree with you)

FearKVB93
04-09-2009, 09:50 AM
If you give up a 7 run lead you deserved to be fired or killed, not sure which one yet. If I were the position players who gave them a relatively easy lead to hold, I believe they'd have to keep me from killin' em.

Jones31
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
LA Angels pitcher killed in wreck hours after pitching in game.
http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/images/2009/04/09/3txrU2Vw.jpg

Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart was among the three people killed in a crash in Fullerton when a driver ran a red light, an associate of the rookie player said this morning. The crash occurred hours after the 22-year-old appeared in Wednesday night's Angels game.
LA Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/04/angels-pitcher-nick-adenhart-killed-in-accident.html)

Yvette
04-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Tomorrow begins three days of heaven or hell for me. It's the hope opener against the yankees. No matter how they start, I expect them to be the resident cellar dwellers by the end of May. If you have any pity or charity in your hearts, please send some good thoughts towards Kauffman Stadium. Don excluded :D

Yvette
04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
:ohmy

Jones31
04-09-2009, 11:00 AM
I was watching him pitch last night too, while I was trying to get the little one to sleep.

Aaron3322
04-09-2009, 11:31 AM
http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/images/2009/04/09/3txrU2Vw.jpg

LA Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/04/angels-pitcher-nick-adenhart-killed-in-accident.html)

That's horrible. Makes you think a little bit.

don28
04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Tomorrow begins three days of heaven or hell for me. It's the hope opener against the yankees. No matter how they start, I expect them to be the resident cellar dwellers by the end of May. If you have any pity or charity in your hearts, please send some good thoughts towards Kauffman Stadium. Don excluded :D

Thanks! Though the Yankees might need something too. The free agent spending spree hasn't made a good start.

Jones31
04-09-2009, 11:50 PM
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-04/46108999.jpg

kytitansfan1
04-10-2009, 10:02 AM
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-04/46108999.jpg

I thought this was very well written.

There were two others in the car who died with Adenhart, and a third who remains in critical condition, and their lives, of course, were -- and are -- worth every bit as much as Adenhart's.

It's just that, of course, not everyone can be squeezed into the headlines. And it is Adenhart's public profile that drives home the tragedy, helps cry out for tougher drunken driving laws in this country, causes us to pause an extra second or two from our too-busy lives to, however fleetingly, agree that yes, we need to slow down and appreciate what we have and, most especially, value those in our lives whom we hold most dear.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/11612621/rss

BJShan
04-11-2009, 12:03 AM
The drunk driver has been charged with murder among other things.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/10/california.pitcher.killed/index.html

Andrew Thomas Gallo, 22, was charged with three counts of murder, driving under the influence and leaving the scene of a crime, the Orange County district attorney's office announced Friday.

Gallo, whose blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit, according to police, faces up to life in prison if convicted on all charges.

According to the DA's office, Gallo was driving a minivan 65 mph in a 35 mph zone at about 12:35 a.m. Thursday. He was on probation and his license had been suspended after a previous drunk-driving charge.

Jones31
04-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Adenhart honored in pregame ceremony
ANAHEIM -- With Nick Adenhart's parents in attendance at Angel Stadium, the Angels paid tribute to the fallen pitcher with a ceremony before Friday night's game against the Red Sox.

The Angels showed a video honoring Adenhart with clips from his pitching performance just two days prior, and Torii Hunter and John Lackey held Adenhart's jersey on the mound during a moment of silence, as both teams lined up on the foul lines to remember 22-year-old who died in a car accident just hours after he pitched six scoreless innings on Wednesday.
LA Angels (http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090410&content_id=4211894&vkey=news_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana)

FearKVB93
04-11-2009, 12:44 AM
The braves pull out a 1 run victory in the 10th over the Nationals. Had a rain delay and some crazy plays, like Gonzalez knockin the ball into foul territory allowing a run to score and Diaz misjudging a routine flyball. It was a great game

MillaKilla8
04-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Mariners ftw

Yvette
04-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks! Though the Yankees might need something too. The free agent spending spree hasn't made a good start.
Sheeit. You all are gonna sweep us right out of our newly renovated ballpark :cry

titanup23
04-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Braves are 5-1 :thumbsup

Bobcat
04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Jeff Suppan would be a great addition to the Braves pitching staff. Walked in 3 runs in a row...

Edit: And his replacement just made it 4 in a row.

Sect309Fan
04-12-2009, 08:47 PM
If it wasn't for that terrible inning, the Braves would be 6-0 now. Still, a 5-1 start is pretty promising for the Braves. :thumbsup

Jones31
04-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah only 156 games to go....

Serge
04-12-2009, 11:19 PM
You make the call....

Runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Batter hits a line drive to the second baseman. He catches it and the runners on 2nd and 3rd were off the base of which the runner on 3rd ran home and touched home plate, he did not tag up. The second baseman didn't touch 2nd base but rather tagged the runner out for the third out but not before the runner at third touched home plate as I stated earlier. The defensive team gets off the field.

Does the run count? If so why does it count, if not why doesn't it count.

Bobcat
04-12-2009, 11:44 PM
If I'm reading that correctly (and there's a good chance I'm not), if the runner on 3rd didn't tag up on a fly-ball (or in this case, line-drive), he can't score. He wouldn't be "eligible" to score without tagging up.

If there was such a thing as a fourth out in the inning, the defense could throw the ball over to third, or tag the runner that "scored" and get a fourth out. Obviously, that's not possible, but were it, the defense could do it.

Bobcat
04-13-2009, 12:07 AM
Just saw the highlight on SportsCenter, now I see what you're talking about.

Only saw it once so I'm still not sure what to make of it...

Edit: Found this on the D-Backs website, and I still have no idea what the hell is going on:

It happened in the second inning with Andre Ethier at third and Juan Pierre at second and one out with Wolf at the plate. Wolf hit a shot back at pitcher Dan Haren, who caught the ball in the air. Both Ethier and Pierre were both well on their way toward advancing and Haren turned and fired toward Lopez at second.

Rather than step on the base to force Pierre, Lopez jogged past second and tagged Pierre for what was the inning's third out. However, Ethier had crossed the plate by that point and the D-backs went on to leave the field without making a play on Ethier at third base, which would have been the fourth out of the inning.

As the teams changed sides, the umpires huddled and ruled that the Ethier run did count even without Ethier tagging up because there had been no appeal play at third base.

Melvin came out to argue, but he knew the umpires got the call right.

"I'm searching for whatever I can," Melvin said of why he argued. "Are you guys sure he didn't touch second base? Can I protest this call, or is it a judgment call? They did get it right. That's the call. They got it right. We had thought Lopez had touched second base."

For his part, Lopez was not aware that it made a difference for him to touch the base rather than the runner.

"I've never experienced a play like that," Lopez said. "It's just one of those crazy rules in baseball. I thought the guy had to go back and tag. I don't know the rule. Now I know. It's not going to happen again, [I'll] tell you that. Looking back I should have done something like [stepping on the base], but it's one of those crazy plays. I didn't know what was going on."

Even though Lopez tagged Pierre rather than the base, the D-backs still could have prevented Ethier from scoring had they tagged third base before leaving the field.

"To be honest, I still don't really understand the rule," he said. "Tough break for me to be honest. I've never seen anything like that and probably won't ever see it again. It's unfortunate, but I can't really dwell on it. I have to focus on the next time out."

ZachLV27
04-13-2009, 04:36 AM
This rule had me as confused as the Arizona fans at the time. It's just one of those quirky (stupid) rules that makes the game a little more interesting.

Serge
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Just saw the highlight on SportsCenter, now I see what you're talking about.

Only saw it once so I'm still not sure what to make of it...

Edit: Found this on the D-Backs website, and I still have no idea what the hell is going on:

It happened in the second inning with Andre Ethier at third and Juan Pierre at second and one out with Wolf at the plate. Wolf hit a shot back at pitcher Dan Haren, who caught the ball in the air. Both Ethier and Pierre were both well on their way toward advancing and Haren turned and fired toward Lopez at second.

Rather than step on the base to force Pierre, Lopez jogged past second and tagged Pierre for what was the inning's third out. However, Ethier had crossed the plate by that point and the D-backs went on to leave the field without making a play on Ethier at third base, which would have been the fourth out of the inning.

As the teams changed sides, the umpires huddled and ruled that the Ethier run did count even without Ethier tagging up because there had been no appeal play at third base.

Melvin came out to argue, but he knew the umpires got the call right.

"I'm searching for whatever I can," Melvin said of why he argued. "Are you guys sure he didn't touch second base? Can I protest this call, or is it a judgment call? They did get it right. That's the call. They got it right. We had thought Lopez had touched second base."

For his part, Lopez was not aware that it made a difference for him to touch the base rather than the runner.

"I've never experienced a play like that," Lopez said. "It's just one of those crazy rules in baseball. I thought the guy had to go back and tag. I don't know the rule. Now I know. It's not going to happen again, [I'll] tell you that. Looking back I should have done something like [stepping on the base], but it's one of those crazy plays. I didn't know what was going on."

Even though Lopez tagged Pierre rather than the base, the D-backs still could have prevented Ethier from scoring had they tagged third base before leaving the field.

"To be honest, I still don't really understand the rule," he said. "Tough break for me to be honest. I've never seen anything like that and probably won't ever see it again. It's unfortunate, but I can't really dwell on it. I have to focus on the next time out."

It is a weird call.

I'm no MLB rules expert but when I saw Ethier touch home base, I told myself that the run should count unless their is an appeal. I didn't know about when a team can appeal. According to MLB rules a team can appeal a call or play as long as all the players haven't left the fair side of the field. After that their is no appealing.

What was bad for the Dbacks is that there was no run on the scoreboard so there was no reason to appeal anything. Quirky rule :crazy but it benefited my team lol

And oh yeah, it was the Dbacks pitcher that caught the ball and then threw to the second baseman who then tagged Pierre out.

Sect309Fan
04-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I get fascinated by situations like that. Baseball has one of the highest "I have never seen that before" types of plays than any other sport, IMO.

Sect309Fan
04-14-2009, 10:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking

Look who is #1. :woot

FearKVB93
04-14-2009, 11:40 AM
that's awesome...it's wierd to say in April but we start a big series tonight with the Marlins

Zephyr
04-14-2009, 12:25 PM
If the Braves can keep their starting rotation healthy + Chipper not miss more than 20 games I like their chances. Bring up Tommy Hanson mid to late summer and boost the rotation.

FearKVB93
04-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Well the Marlins are looking great right now. So far they've taken both games from the Braves. Our bullpen is inconsistent at the moment.

Jones31
04-15-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm convinced the Red Sox losing is a direct result of wearing those old throwbacks as road uniforms this year.

shadowboxin'
04-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Rangers finally pulled their head out of their ass and snapped the 5 game losing streak. 19 runs against the Orioles and Kinsler goes for the cycle with 6 hits total.

Sect309Fan
04-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Well the Marlins are looking great right now. So far they've taken both games from the Braves. Our bullpen is inconsistent at the moment.

Walking in batters with the bases loaded is inexcusable. So is having a reliever with a 40 ERA. :rant

titanup23
04-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Swept by the Marlins in Atlanta for the first time :mad:

Zephyr
04-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Chipper missing 3 out of 9 games already, solid Chip, way to man up :facepalm

Sect309Fan
04-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Swept by the Marlins in Atlanta for the first time :mad:

So much for that #1 ranking. :sad

I think Chipper has missed every game the Braves lost.

Titan723
04-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Yankees lose their opener in their new billion dollar home.

FearKVB93
04-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Jorge Campillo is on the DL now too. It's not like we miss him, our entire bullpen could go on the DL and we would be the same.

Jones31
04-18-2009, 04:14 PM
What's the Yankee's team ERA right about now? I can't count that high....

shadowboxin'
04-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Ahem...

Bwahahaha!

Titan723
04-18-2009, 07:42 PM
What's the Yankee's team ERA right about now? I can't count that high....

I think Chien Ming Wang's alone is higher then the pricetag of their new house.

Sect309Fan
04-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Braves win! Braves win! (I can finally say this after the damn 5 game losing streak)

Having Chipper in the lineup seems to make a huge difference.

Jones31
04-20-2009, 12:12 PM
The Orioles might need to find a new CF, he can't catch a cold.

Titan723
04-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Reds take 7 of 10 on their longest road trip of the year. :toast
Next up, the Braves at home.

MillaKilla8
04-24-2009, 07:09 PM
I know it's early, but I'm real excited about how the Mariners are looking!...even with Griffey sucking.

Sect309Fan
04-25-2009, 09:23 AM
What is up with all the walk-in runs? :huh

The Braves won Wednesday night in a 1-0 when the winning run was walked in. Now the Reds gave the Braves two walk-in runs in a 4-3 victory for the Braves.

Of course, earlier this year, the Braves have let other teams walk in runs as well. I just have never seen so many walk in runs so early in the season.

don28
04-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Walk-in runs are better than watching the Yankees pitching staff give up the deep ball all day long. Even Mariano Rivera got scorched last night.

The game was at Fenway Park, but the result was still the same. Yankee pitching is not up to par so far this season, no matter where they are playing.

titanup23
04-25-2009, 11:17 AM
What is up with all the walk-in runs? :huh

The Braves won Wednesday night in a 1-0 when the winning run was walked in. Now the Reds gave the Braves two walk-in runs in a 4-3 victory for the Braves.

Of course, earlier this year, the Braves have let other teams walk in runs as well. I just have never seen so many walk in runs so early in the season.

How crazy was Vazquez's stats? From what I remember, he lasted only 4 innings but had 6 K's, 7 walks, hit 2 or 3 Braves and walked in 2 runs :crazy

MillaKilla8
04-25-2009, 12:51 PM
ATL is lookin good right now. And even better Chipper Jones is hitting well (2/2 HR 4 RBI) and Kotchman is 1/2 and theyre both on my fantasy team. :D

Titan723
05-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Red Sox are 5 of 5 against the Yankees so far this season. They swept a 2 game series tonight at Yankee Stadium.

The Reds recorded their 6th shutout of the season tonight. Impressive stat in that is they only had 6 shutouts all last season.

Sect309Fan
05-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Every time a read about the Braves, some team is making history by sweeping them for the first time in Atlanta. :rant

Bleh!

Jones31
05-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Told ya not to get excited.....

Jones31
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Hold the Phone!!!!

Manny Ramirez has been suspended 50 Games for testing positive for PED's

Sect309Fan
05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Hold the Phone!!!!

Manny Ramirez has been suspended 50 Games for testing positive for PED's

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

------------------------------------

This is the first big name that has been suspended under the new policy, isn't it?

Jones31
05-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I believe so....

Toronto
05-07-2009, 11:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

------------------------------------

This is the first big name that has been suspended under the new policy, isn't it?

Yes, by far the biggest name. To give you an idea how much money the guy makes? The 50 game suspension will cost hom $7.7M. :crazy

NYTitan21
05-08-2009, 07:40 PM
A-ROD cracks a 3 run shot on the first pitch he sees this year... woooo

TitanTom0987
05-08-2009, 08:55 PM
A-ROD cracks a 3 run shot on the first pitch he sees this year... woooo

Roids? :p

Also, Jason Bay = That dude. Theo needs to lock him up now. Give the man that dough!

Titan723
05-10-2009, 01:34 PM
The Braves are on TBS, feels like the 1990's all over again.

titanup23
05-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Braves get 2 out 3 games at Philly for the second time this season:thumbsup

Old Oilers Fan
05-14-2009, 05:07 AM
I am going to say this while I can. The Reds are tied for first!!!! :ohmy

Titan723
05-14-2009, 08:19 AM
I am going to say this while I can. The Reds are tied for first!!!! :ohmy

You beat me to it. I know its early, but it feels good for achange. :toast

Sect309Fan
05-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Ever since my little rant on the Braves, they have won three straight series against NL East opponents, and they are back to .500. :woot

The last two games against the Mets have aged me a few years. On Tuesday, the Braves blew a 3-0 lead in the last two innings, and they lost in the 10th due to a bases-loaded walk by Bennett.

Yesterday, they were ahead, behind (due to a grand slam), tied, ahead in the top of the 8th, and tied after 8. :ohmy In the 9th, the Braves had two on and nobody out, but the guy on second got tagged out trying to go to third on a popup ... no one scored. Then Bennett had to pitch the 10th and 11th innings, where he redeemed himself somewhat.

In the 12th, Prado hit a solo homer for the Braves, so our closer (Gonzo) came in. First guy...double. Then a sacrifice bunt. But Gonzo recovered and struck out the last two batters for the win. :thumbsup

Crazy games.

Titanico
05-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Yesterday, was the first time I get to see the Dodgers playing (we don't get as much baseball games as we did before on TV...now all of them are watched through MLB TV...and it's not free or cheap... )

Anyway...I get to see that game yesterday, only to witness an almost unoffensive Phillies team. I changed the channel when the Dodgers were 7-1. The game ended 9-2.

Yvette
05-15-2009, 11:04 AM
We are mid month and just as I predicted, the Royals are on a skid. I know where it's headed... the same place it always goes by the end of May :sad

Bobcat
05-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Nice to see the White Sox decided to score a run today. Now they only trail 20-1...

:lmao

Sect309Fan
05-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Braves outduel the Blue Jays 1-0. :thumbsup

Our Japanese pitcher had his best game by far in MLB. The Braves are above .500 again.

Toronto
05-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Looks like the Jays bubble about to burst....

Sect309Fan
05-25-2009, 08:06 AM
I am reall shocked with how the Braves have woken up, especially at home. They went into this latest homestand with just 5 home wins for the season, and they went 6-3, including a sweep of the Blue Jays.

Now that they are 3 games over .500 and 1.5 games behind the Phillies, I am getting my hopes up again. :drink

Yvette
05-26-2009, 12:26 PM
The Tigers killed the Royals last night 13-1. I'd watch tonight's game but I'm not into carnivorous feeding frenzies.

ZachLV27
05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Dodgers are staying strong through the Manny suspension....so far...

Serge
05-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I know this is early but, can anyone tell me who has the best record in baseball right now???

Titan723
05-27-2009, 11:46 PM
I know this is early but, can anyone tell me who has the best record in baseball right now???

Dodgers at 33-15

Sect309Fan
05-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Now that they are 3 games over .500 and 1.5 games behind the Phillies, I am getting my hopes up again. :drink

That koolaid is starting to sour. :p

Now the Braves can't win on the road. :crazy

Sect309Fan
05-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Good news! The Braves may be shopping Frenchy (and the Red Sox are the named team). :thumbsup

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/05/27/red_sox_francoeur.html

Braves general manager Frank Wren would not comment on a report that the Boston Red Sox have recently scouted Jeff Francoeur and might have trade interest in the Braves right fielder.

It’s not known whether the Braves have entertained offers for the player who was once expected to become the next face of the franchise, but whose career has stalled.

The Braves would presumably have to get an outfielder back in any trade for Francoeur, 25, or have another deal lined up to get a replacement.

------------------------------------------------

I really hope it happens. Frenchy is a lot like Andruw Jones. They both showed so much promise early in their careers, they both are really good fielders, but both can't hit consistently at all.

Serge
05-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Dodgers at 33-15

:D

And now 34-15

Serge
05-29-2009, 10:49 AM
As of today, no one else has won 30 games yet. :thumbsup

Toronto
05-29-2009, 11:33 AM
As of today, no one else has won 30 games yet. :thumbsup

When the Jays were at 27-14, I never woulda guessed they wouldn't have cracked 30 as of today. Man what a losing streak....It was like the baseball gods woke up and reminded them they're not the Yanks or Sox...

Serge
05-29-2009, 12:31 PM
When the Jays were at 27-14, I never woulda guessed they wouldn't have cracked 30 as of today. Man what a losing streak....It was like the baseball gods woke up and reminded them they're not the Yanks or Sox...

Hopefully the baseball gods will go back to sleep. Every year I hate the thought of hearing all about the Yanks or Bosox. Of course even if they were at the bottom I'm sure the mass media outlets would do a 20 part series about the possible downfall of each club.

I understand the history of the Yanks and all the WS they have won..... but the redsox have won what? One WS in the last 2,000,000 years?

Sect309Fan
05-29-2009, 01:38 PM
I understand the history of the Yanks and all the WS they have won..... but the redsox have won what? One WS in the last 2,000,000 years?

The Red Sox have won 2 of the last 5 World Series. Compared with everyone else, it is almost a dynasty. ;)

Titan723
05-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Not to mention the 0-3 comeback against the Yankees was quite impressive.

FearKVB93
06-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Braves come back down 5 and being no hit in the 7th to win 6-5 on a walk off hit by chipper

Sect309Fan
06-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Braves come back down 5 and being no hit in the 7th to win 6-5 on a walk off hit by chipper

That is one of those games that makes baseball a great sport to watch. :thumbsup

I happened to tune in in the bottom of the 8th inning (5-0 Cubs), and decided to keep watching despite the score.

1st batter - home run (5-1) (note: only the 2nd hit of the night)
2nd batter - reached on error
3rd batter - Francoeur walked on 4 straight pitches (extremely rare sight)
4th batter - fly out
5th batter - a .135 hitter gets hit by a pitch (bases loaded)
6th batter - walk (5-2)
7th batter - sacrifice fly (5-3)
8th batter - Chipper - ground out
3 runs - 1 hit - 2 walks - 1 error

In the bottom of the ninth, Anderson struck out but got to first becaue the ball got away from the catcher. Then Francoeur was up with 2 outs. For some reason, the reliever threw a fastball right down the middle of the plate, and Francoeur tied the game with a huge home run. :bowdown

The Braves just missed scoring in the 10th and 11th innings (man on third, great defensive plays to catch the 3rd out).

Finally, in the 12th, Escobar singled, stole 2nd, and Chipper singled on a 3-2 pitch to win the game.

Francoeur has been a sore spot for many Braves fans, but he came through last night. A 4 pitch walk (he has had a 3-0 count only twice all year), a game tying homer (first homer since May 1), a bunt (his first as a professional baseball player), and a big running catch in the outfield. :thumbsup

FearKVB93
06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Yeah, Frenchy sure has been a mind boggler these past two years. I wish he could get back to the way he was playing a couple of years ago. I hope they figure something out because I don't want them to have to trade him but if he doesn't get it together they have no choice.

ZachLV27
06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Braves have released Tom Glavine.

He was actually looking fairly good down in the minors so this was probably done because of the $1 million he was set to make if he made it back onto the big league roster.

Edit: His contract actually calls for him to be paid $3.5 mil if he was on the major league roster for 90 days.

Glavine said "He's still shocked about being released by a team he's been a member of, and he's not prepared to retire. He looks forward to pitching again in 2009."

That comment made me laugh since he played a few years for the Mets. It does make me wonder what team will sign him.

Jones31
06-03-2009, 05:51 PM
That was a shock to read on my alerts. Way to disrespect one of your all time greats.

Sect309Fan
06-03-2009, 07:10 PM
That was a shock to read on my alerts. Way to disrespect one of your all time greats.

Glavine may have been one of the all time greats, but he just has nothing left. He needed to be cut. They probably should have done it earlier this season, but it's done.

I still have a hard time forgiving him for being a Met. He was one of my most favorite Braves until that point.

FearKVB93
06-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Tommy was my all-time favorite Braves pitcher. I'm sad to see that he was released, especially after he pitched a shutout in the minors recently. However, I'm excited that we are getting Nate McClouth in the trade with the Pirates. We got a good deal I believe. We gave 4 minor leagures. A good Center fielder and Charlie Morton who has great potential and two others I don't remember. I feel that we will come out better on this deal however.

ZachLV27
06-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Glavine may have been one of the all time greats, but he just has nothing left. He needed to be cut. They probably should have done it earlier this season, but it's done.

I still have a hard time forgiving him for being a Met. He was one of my most favorite Braves until that point.

What makes you feel that he has nothing left? Reports are that he looked good down in the minors. Granted it is the minors, but everyone has to work their way back up. The Braves used the excuse that his velocity is down. His fastball was reportedly 83 - 86 his last time out. He, as well as many others, have proven you can succeed in this league with a below average fastball.

This was done for financial reasons and I have absolutely no problem with that. This is a business and teams have to use their brains and not their hearts when making decisions. That coupled with the fact that he left them to join the Mets lost him any sort of claim to saying he was disrespected by them (not saying that he feels he was).

Sect309Fan
06-03-2009, 07:56 PM
http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2009/06/03/it-hurts-to-say-it-but-it-was-time-for-tom-glavine-to-go/

“This was not a business decision,” Frank Wren told the media. “This was a performance decision.” And there should be no arguing with that.

Jones31
06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Yawn....

FearKVB93
06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I wish the rain would let up in Atlanta!! I'm excited to see Nate McClouth put on the Braves uniform

Serge
06-04-2009, 09:21 PM
The Red Sox have won 2 of the last 5 World Series. Compared with everyone else, it is almost a dynasty. ;)

That's just it though, they've won 2 WS in like what 80 years?

Hardly worthy of the amount of coverage they've been getting for the last 20 or 30 years.

Not that I dislike them, I could care either way. Just really dislike all the coverage they get especially when they play the Yanks, who I really hate.

It's kind of like the equivalence of the Cowboys getting as much media coverage as they do.

Serge
06-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Yawn....

In other news, Sammy Sosa is retiring. :lol

kytitansfan1
06-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Contratulations to Randy Johnson on his 300th win!

Sect309Fan
06-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Contratulations to Randy Johnson on his 300th win!

A few years ago, I really didn't believe he would get it due to his age. But he was willing to hope from team to team to finally get enough to get there. Congrats, Randy! You are a Hall of Famer and one of my most wicked pitchers in history. :thumbsup

Sect309Fan
06-05-2009, 08:40 AM
That's just it though, they've won 2 WS in like what 80 years?

Hardly worthy of the amount of coverage they've been getting for the last 20 or 30 years.

Not that I dislike them, I could care either way. Just really dislike all the coverage they get especially when they play the Yanks, who I really hate.

It's kind of like the equivalence of the Cowboys getting as much media coverage as they do.

The Cubs get a lot of coverage too. You can be famous for losing as well, which used to be the reason the Red Sox got so much coverage.

Sect309Fan
06-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I was very happy to see Mike Minor of Vandy get drafted at #7 to the Braves. This is the fourth Vandy player to be drafted in the first round these last five years. Tim Corbin is doing something right. :thumbsup

3 game win streak for the Bravos!!! (It doesn't happen too often)

Sect309Fan
06-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Remember last year when the Braves didn't win a one-run road game till the last month of the year, and they were MLB-worst in overall one-run games? I thought I would take a look at their record this year.

Through 58 games, the Braves are 12-9 in one-run games (3 on the road). That's a pretty impressive turnaround from last season. :thumbsup

GoPats
06-17-2009, 10:33 AM
So 309, the talk around here is that Smoltz will start a week from Thursday against Washington. It's caused some discussion because the Sox can't figure out what to do with their rotation (with Smoltz they have six bonafide starters, and pretty much all of them except Dice-K are pitching well).

kfmac70
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
In other news, Sammy Sosa is retiring. :lol

In other news, Sammy Sosa was revealed yesterday to have tested positive for PEDs in 2003.

Sect309Fan
06-17-2009, 02:25 PM
So 309, the talk around here is that Smoltz will start a week from Thursday against Washington. It's caused some discussion because the Sox can't figure out what to do with their rotation (with Smoltz they have six bonafide starters, and pretty much all of them except Dice-K are pitching well).

I think Braves fans were hoping he could start this weekend, since the Red Sox will be in Atlanta.

GoPats
06-17-2009, 03:22 PM
I think Braves fans were hoping he could start this weekend, since the Red Sox will be in Atlanta.

That would be pretty cruel for his new team to do that to him! LOL...

Seeing more of him in interviews and stuff now... seems like a guy with a baseball IQ that's off the charts. Schilling was like that too, but he was kind of an ass. I think Smoltz will help the young pitchers on the Sox staff.

Didn't you mention once that he was, at one point, your favorite Brave?

Sect309Fan
06-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Good memory, GoPats. :)

He just does everything right. He is a great community leader, he is beloved by his fans, he is/was the winningest postseason pitcher, and he is versitile enough to be a starter and a closer.

I still have a lot of respect for Smoltz, and I wish he would have retired a Brave. But I have no faith in Atlanta's ownership or GM, so I am not surprised that he is on a different team at the end of his career.

Old Oilers Fan
06-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Darn 309 I was all ready to have fun with you......Then the Reds got back to normal. :doh

:lol

Sect309Fan
06-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Darn 309 I was all ready to have fun with you......Then the Reds got back to normal. :doh

:lol

You mean the Braves finally won??? :ohmy

It look like Hanson may be pretty good for the Braves, and McLouth certainly showed why the Braves traded for him today. :thumbsup

Sect309Fan
06-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Tonight's game between the Braves and Red Sox in Boston has an interesting matchup. Kenshin Kawakami will be pitching against Daisuke Matsuzaka. These two Japanese pitchers have never faced each other in a regular season or playoff game.

The scheduling is pretty brutal for the Braves these next couple of weeks.
Jun 19-21 @Red Sox
Jun 22 Cubs (make up game)
Jun 23-25 Yankees
Jun 26-28 Red Sox (again)
Jun 30-Jul 2 Phillies

What sucks is that only 3 to 5 of those games will be on Dish (2 of the 5 are listed as "no local TV" which I assume means ESPN/Fox).

Jones31
06-20-2009, 11:27 AM
And as usual Dice K didn't help his cause...

TitanTom0987
06-20-2009, 01:20 PM
And as usual Dice K didn't help his cause...

He's a huge pile of suck.

GoPats
06-22-2009, 08:01 AM
He's a huge pile of suck.

Sox placed him on the DL this morning. Folks around here are blaming the WBC, saying Dice-K threw himself off and never recovered.

I don't care what the reason is, and I really don't care what they do with him... just as long as he's out of the rotation, at least for now!

Jones31
06-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Word... notice they said it wasn't going to be a 2 week DL stay either. I think they are pretty ticked with him.

GoPats
06-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Word... notice they said it wasn't going to be a 2 week DL stay either. I think they are pretty ticked with him.

You got it right there bro. The Sox are not happy.

He pretty much does his own thing when it comes to side sessions and his off-day schedule. If he pitched better, the Sox would probably let him do whatever he wants. But he sucks, so... "do it our way, or don't do it at all." And I'm 100% down with that.

Sect309Fan
06-23-2009, 09:21 PM
So far, the Braves are doing ok in this tough stretch. After beating the Yankees today, they are 3-2. Hanson has won 3 in a row for the Braves, and the team had their first back-to-back shutouts since June of 2005.

This was also the Yankees first visit to Atlanta since the 2000 World Series (one I would rather forget).

Sect309Fan
07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
How about them Orioles! :lol

Jones31
07-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Shut it!

Titan723
07-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Today Baltimore takes a 5-1 lead to the 9th. Boston scores 4 in the 9th to tie it. They are currently in the 10th.

Sect309Fan
07-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Today Baltimore takes a 5-1 lead to the 9th. Boston scores 4 in the 9th to tie it. They are currently in the 10th.

Boston wins in the 11th. Last night was Baltimore's only win against the Red Sox all year. It just proves that teams get lucky every once in a while. ;)

GoPats
07-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Boston wins in the 11th. Last night was Baltimore's only win against the Red Sox all year. It just proves that teams get lucky every once in a while. ;)

You know, something about the other night that kind of got overlooked...

The O's didn't rally until Varitek came out of the game. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with other factors too, but 'Tek calls such a good game and knows hitters so well.

It was good for the Sox to win like that yesterday... no hangovers from Tuesday night.

Sect309Fan
07-03-2009, 11:23 AM
http://nationofone.mlblogs.com/sweep.jpg

:woot

FearKVB93
07-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Get the brooms out baby!

titanup23
07-04-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't usually blame Bobby Cox on games but I'm putting the blame of today's game on him . You have Hanson who is pitching lights out the entire game, he gives up a solo homer to Dunn and you pull him? I have no faith whatsoever in the Braves bullpen.....NONE!

Titansfan777
07-14-2009, 09:30 PM
I LOL'd at Sarah Evans singing God Bless America...it actually hurt to hear.

Sect309Fan
07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
I refuse to watch the All Star game until the NL wins again.

Bastard AL and their one-run wins in late innings. :mad:

And Bud better get rid of the idiotic "home-field in the WS" connection ASAP.

Titansfan777
07-15-2009, 10:45 AM
I refuse to watch the All Star game until the NL wins again.

Bastard AL and their one-run wins in late innings. :mad:

And Bud better get rid of the idiotic "home-field in the WS" connection ASAP.

THIS

Jones31
07-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Julio Lugo has been designated for assignment.
Thank you!

MillaKilla8
07-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Just stopping by to say go Mariners!...and f*** the Yankees!

titanup23
07-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Where has this braves offense been all season long??? Glad to be back at .500!

MillaKilla8
07-17-2009, 09:51 PM
I have Chipper and Jurrjens on my fantasy team...it was a good day! :)

Sect309Fan
07-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Where has this braves offense been all season long??? Glad to be back at .500!

They have hovering at one or two games below .500 for most of the season, so it is great to finally get there. It was also nice to see Maddux's number get retired last night.

The Mets are really struggling right now. I don't think anyone expected them to be 5 games under .500 at this point of the season.

Sect309Fan
07-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I just wanted to let you Braves know that Dish is now showing the Peachtree games for those in the Braves TV area (like Tennessee). :thumbsup

It is on the alternate channels, so it may move around. This Tuesday and Wednesday, the games are on channel 449. (tonight's game is on SportsSouth).

DirecTv and Comcast subscribers already have been getting it this season, though I don't know about Charter customers.

The games are only in standard definition, even though most are broadcast to the Atlanta area in HD.

MillaKilla8
07-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Sect may i ask why you are a braves fan? Did you live in ATL or something?

Sect309Fan
07-20-2009, 05:23 PM

Back in the early 80's, if you were a baseball fan in a state like Tennessee that didn't have baseball, you pretty much were a Braves fan, a Cubs fan, or a Mets fan, since those three teams had Superstations on cable. You could follow any one of those teams every day during baseball season.

My cousin was a huge Dale Murphy fan, and he got me hooked on watching the Braves at that time. It didn't hurt that 1982 (I turned 11) was the year when I got addicted to sports, with the Braves winning their first division title in forever, and Dale Murphy winning the MVP.

Amazingly enough, I stuck with being a Braves during all the crappy years that followed, and was rewarded richly with the 1991 season on.

MillaKilla8
07-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Back in the early 80's, if you were a baseball fan in a state like Tennessee that didn't have baseball, you pretty much were a Braves fan, a Cubs fan, or a Mets fan, since those three teams had Superstations on cable. You could follow any one of those teams every day during baseball season.

My cousin was a huge Dale Murphy fan, and he got me hooked on watching the Braves at that time. It didn't hurt that 1982 (I turned 11) was the year when I got addicted to sports, with the Braves winning their first division title in forever, and Dale Murphy winning the MVP.

Amazingly enough, I stuck with being a Braves during all the crappy years that followed, and was rewarded richly with the 1991 season on.

Nice.
So who's your favorite player on the current roster?
I love chipper.

Sect309Fan
07-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Chipper is definitely my favorite, now that Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz are gone. Smoltz was my favorite for many, many years.

Chipper at least produces most of the time (when healthy), and he plays solid defense. There aren't many Braves hitters that can claim that, though Prado is really impressing me this year.

MillaKilla8
07-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Nice..well i'm a Mariner & kind of a Dodger fan (not so much anymore)...the Mariners are kind of in the same boat the Braves are...we're right there in the division and wild card...we just need to have a strong second half. The postseason is in reach though.

Old Oilers Fan
07-20-2009, 05:56 PM

You big liar. You became a big fan because of the movie "The Slugger's Wife" :p

I always liked Dale Murphy myself. I always wish that he was a Red.

Sect309Fan
07-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Getting rid of Franceour has been great for the Braves. They can hit again!

8-0 Braves over the Giants in the 5th. :bowdown

MillaKilla8
07-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Mariners gettin pounded also Franklin Gutierrez is hurt it looked pretty bad too.

MillaKilla8
07-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Mariners have cut it to 8-6...it was 8-1.

Sect309Fan
07-22-2009, 08:53 PM
The Braves are red-hot right now. They won 4-2 tonight, being only the third team to beat Lincecum this year. Escobar, hitting .440 with men in scoring position, jacked a three run homer that made the difference.

They have now won 4 in a row for only the 2nd time this season (and have a great shot at #5 against Zito tomorrow). They are 6-1 since the break, and 10-3 in the last 13 games. :bowdown

They have also averaged 5.7 runs a game over those 13 games.

The Phillies finally lost, so the Braves are only 5.5 games back. They are 3 back of the wild card (Rockies).

titanup23
07-22-2009, 09:18 PM

I was kinda born into it. My mom's parents lived 5 miles from Fulton Co. Stadium when I was born and they lived there till I was about 10 (??). So we use to go to the games when they were horrible and you could almost walk into the stadium for free to watch a game.

My favorite play at this time is Brian McCann. He's a great hitter and one of the best catchers in the NL and he seems like a class act.

And I'm loving this run they are putting on right now. If we can get a pitcher or someone in the bullpen before trade deadline, I think we could make a serious run at the playoffs. I just hope they don't get cold when they go on this road trip.

MillaKilla8
07-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Cool

Sect309Fan
07-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Well, the Braves were due to blow a game, and it looks like it will happen.

One, they can't do anything against Zito except a solo home run. So it is 1-1 in the eighth with the Giants up. This is a team that can't score on the road.

Gonzalez relieves Melden
Schierholtz singles - Gonzalez injured on the play
Logan relieves Gonzalez
Ishikawa bunts to the pitcher - pitcher can't field it - safe
Moylan relieves Logan
Uribe sacrifices, pitcher has a throwing error, Schierholtz scores (2-1, 0 outs)
2 strikeouts
Winn singles, 2 runs score, throwing error on outfielder allows the 2nd run (4-1, 2 outs)
Lewis singles, Winn scores (5-1)

:rant

And that was the final score....

kytitansfan1
07-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Congratulations to Mark Buehrle for his perfect game! Only the 18th such game in MLB history. And for once I'll agree with Obama, Buehrle needs to buy Wise a 'big' steak dinner for that catch. :toast

kytitansfan1
07-23-2009, 11:23 PM
now that Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz are gone.

Wouldn't it be sweet to see those three enter the HOF at the same time? :thumbsup

Old Oilers Fan
07-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Well it looks like the Reds are making their second half run for another losing season again this year. :loser

Titan723
07-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Well it looks like the Reds are making their second half run for another losing season again this year. :loser

I knew it was bound to come sooner then later. Guess there is always next year. :lol

Old Oilers Fan
07-26-2009, 11:25 AM
I knew it was bound to come sooner then later. Guess there is always next year. :lol

Always is. :lol

Next year will be their undefeated season. :p

I will still watch and listen to them but football season sure can't be here to soon.

titanup23
07-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Another offensive outing for the Braves, 10-2 over the Brewers and they've now won 7 of their last 10.:thumbsup

Yvette
07-26-2009, 07:22 PM
The Royals ended a 10 game losing streak yesterday and it's the end of July. It's a miracle!

kytitansfan1
07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
The Royals ended a 10 game losing streak yesterday and it's the end of July. It's a miracle!

And there are no flags on the field! :D

Sect309Fan
07-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I am glad you guys couldn't see me last night. I am usually fairly restrained, but I lost it watching the Braves-Marlins game. They both had the same record, so these games are very important. It was such a good tight game, but the Braves get a homer in the 9th to take a 3-2 lead.

Soriano comes in to close, and he has been excellent this season. But he hasn't pitched in 4 nights, and he walks the first batter on 4 straight balls. Then the next batter bunts the guy over, but I still feel pretty good. Soriano then gets a 3-1 count on the next batter, who smacks the next pitch high and deep for a walk-off home run. :rant

The umpire called a very tight strike zone, which certainly hurt. But to see a win turn into a loss just like that in a blink of an eye drove me nuts. I was in bed, and I started throwing books around and cussed up a storm. (I knew the kids were asleep downstairs, so they wouldn't hear me).

Damn baseball. :lolhit

Parddy
07-29-2009, 02:03 PM

It's not too late Y, there is still plenty of room left in "The Nation" for you to join.

Go Sox!

Jones31
07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Now if they would land Halladay.

Parddy
07-29-2009, 02:33 PM
It is almost zero hour in the Halladay auction. Who's going to mortgage the most farm?

Sect309Fan
07-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Crap. The Phillies traded for Cliff Lee. That guy is a darn good pitcher.

Oh well, the Braves will continue to try to get the wild card.

Parddy
07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Phillies now OUT of the Halladay auction... The plan is coming together nicely.

MillaKilla8
07-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Mariners are fallin back now 7.5 gb in divi and 6.5 in wild card.....and i still hate the Yankees.

Jones31
07-29-2009, 04:07 PM
It is almost zero hour in the Halladay auction. Who's going to mortgage the most farm?

Probably the Skanks.... since we know they are lying in the weeds.

MillaKilla8
07-29-2009, 05:07 PM
The Mariners' Ryan Rowland-Smith has a perfect game going through 6 innings right now...go Mariners!

MillaKilla8
07-29-2009, 05:15 PM
So much for that...just gave up a base hit and then a homer to Adam Lind. 2-1 Toronto...

Sect309Fan
07-31-2009, 09:28 AM
After the crap that went on the last two nights in Miami, the Braves avoided flushing their whole season away by getting out of a 1-out, 2 men on jam in the bottom of the 9th, and then McCann hitting a 3-run homer in the 10th.

The Braves season was very close to being over. They had a 2-0 lead and a 3-1 lead, but gave up two runs in the 8th on a solo home run and a crazy infield, bases-loaded hit that Chipper couldn't field cleanly.

I still wonder about that hit. The ball was hit down right past the plate, bounced up fairly high, and then hit the ground about halfway to third base with a wicked spin. Looking back, I really think Chipper should have let it go, because I think it would have rolled foul with that spin. Instead, it tied the game.

MillaKilla8
07-31-2009, 11:48 AM
The Mariners traded their 2nd best pitcher, Washburn, for two Detroit pitchers. A rookie and a prospect. Washburn had an ERA under 3 so these two pitchers better be good.

FearKVB93
07-31-2009, 03:32 PM
The Braves and Red Sox have agreed on a deal that will send Adam Laroche back to Atlanta for Casey Kotchman.

MillaKilla8
07-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Red Sox got Victor Martinez.

Titan723
07-31-2009, 07:57 PM
I just saw the Reds sent the error machine himself Edwin Encarnacion to Toronto for Scott Rolen.

titanup23
07-31-2009, 09:14 PM
The Braves and Red Sox have agreed on a deal that will send Adam Laroche back to Atlanta for Casey Kotchman.

Hate to see Casey go but I think its a good pickup for both teams.

Old Oilers Fan
08-01-2009, 09:29 AM
I just saw the Reds sent the error machine himself Edwin Encarnacion to Toronto for Scott Rolen.

:lmao SUCKERRRRRS

titanup23
08-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Well, I'm off to Chattanooga in a couple hours. Going to check out the Lookouts game tonight and then going to the Braves game tomorrow night. Its just my second visit to Turner Field. Can't wait!

Hopefully, the outcome will be a lot better than last nights game:mad:

Serge
08-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Always good to see the Dodgers beat the Braves. :D

Ah, what am I saying.... always good to see the Dodgers beat everyone.

MillaKilla8
08-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Dodgers are beast.

Sect309Fan
08-03-2009, 08:38 AM

Dodgers are a heck of a team. I wish the Braves didn't have to play them again in a week. :ohmy

ZachLV27
08-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Dodgers are a heck of a team. I wish the Braves didn't have to play them again in a week. :ohmy

At least you will get to see Kershaw pitch next weekend. :thumbsup

Serge
08-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Hopefully I'll be at one of those games.

MillaKilla8
08-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Dodgers had a nice run tonight but couldnt quite get over the hump.

titanup23
08-04-2009, 08:43 PM

Yea, I got to watch the beatdown live in person at the ball field. :peepwall

MillaKilla8
08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Anyone hear about Prince Fielder trying to get into the Dodgers clubhouse after last nights game?

Sect309Fan
08-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Anyone hear about Prince Fielder trying to get into the Dodgers clubhouse after last nights game?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4378397

LOS ANGELES -- Not even Prince Fielder really knows what he might have done if a phalanx of security guards and teammates hadn't prevented the furious Milwaukee Brewers slugger from entering the Los Angeles Dodgers clubhouse after a ninth-inning beaning.

And nobody is sure how the Brewers and the Dodgers will react in Wednesday's season finale after Los Angeles' impressive 17-4 victory Tuesday night degenerated into retaliation, recrimination and a regrettable charge through the Dodger Stadium tunnels by the Brewers' All-Star first baseman.

The trouble started when Manny Ramirez was hit by a pitch in the seventh while Los Angeles had a nine-run lead, but it didn't boil over until Guillermo Mota was ejected for drilling Fielder with two outs in the ninth. Dodgers catcher Russell Martin acknowledged it was a response to Chris Smith hitting Ramirez with what appeared to be a much less purposeful pitch.

"It's just part of the game," Martin said. "Our premier hitter gets hit, and he gets protection. I understand [Fielder] is frustrated, but you don't take care of that after the game."

--------------------------------------------------------

This is one part of baseball that makes me sick. One player gets hit with a pitch (usually unintentionally), and then the other team has to respond by purposely beaning a player themselves. To go after the star of the Brewers with 2 outs in a game that had well been decided should result in suspensions for that team. It is uncalled for, and there is no real reprecussion since the game was all but over.

I hope Fielder crushes a couple of homers tonight.

Jones31
08-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Hope he gets suspended.

ZachLV27
08-05-2009, 02:17 PM
This happens in every sport. It is just a lot more noticeable in baseball. I have absolutely no problem with this happening as long as the ball is thrown at the players ass which Mota did. If you throw near someones hands or near their head then it's a different story.

Hitters crowd the plate to get more plate coverage. Pitchers throw up and in to push the hitters back. Until the hitter or the pitcher budge (never going to happen because it just hurts their performance) then this will continue to happen.

Nobody complains when a LB retaliates for a previous play by lighting up a receiver or running back going over the middle.

Nobody complains when a hockey team sends in their enforcer to put a hard check on the opposing team in retaliation for something that happened earlier.

ZachLV27
08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Oh, I also believe he deserves a suspension and he will get one.

If MLB really wanted to look into the play they could try and find out why someone was warming up in the pen before this even happened. Torre might not have ordered this, but Torre knew it was coming. Torre was probably perfectly fine with it too since Manny got thrown at (right at his hands where he was just hit a week ago) and Pierre was also hit.

MillaKilla8
08-05-2009, 02:21 PM
He needs to be punished that's for sure.

Sect309Fan
08-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I would be shocked if Fielder gets suspended. I would hope some Dodgers get suspended instead for starting the whole mess.

Jones31
08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Fielder had no business trying to enter the Dodgers clubhouse, none. Much less acting like a fool as he did.

ZachLV27
08-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Lastly, I don't see how baseball can ever get this completely out of the game. The only way to attempt to stop it is by using REAL suspensions. None of this "I'm going to suspend a starting and make him unable to play on the 4 days he wouldn't have been playing in anyways". To stop this MLB will have to go with 7 to 10 days suspended for a position player and something like a 25 to 40 game suspension for the pitchers. These suspensions will also have to be applied not only to pitches that hit players, but also to pitches that come close to hitting them.

And then that right there leads you into a slippery slope problem.

ZachLV27
08-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I would be shocked if Fielder gets suspended. I would hope some Dodgers get suspended instead for starting the whole mess.

Mota should be suspended for throwing at Fielder. Fielder should be suspended for acting like a fool by trying to get into the Dodgers Clubhouse. The pitcher that through at both Manny and Pierre needs to be suspended as well.

Mota deserves a 4 or 5 games suspension. Fielder and the Brewers pitcher each deserve a 1 or 2 game suspension.

Sect309Fan
08-07-2009, 07:30 AM
The Braves need a new closer. :sad

Parddy
08-07-2009, 07:34 AM
They can have Smoltz back....For FREE

Sect309Fan
08-07-2009, 07:39 AM
They can have Smoltz back....For FREE

As much as I love Smoltz and Glavine, I am glad they are gone. I really like the Braves starting rotation, they are pretty young, and we still have Tim Hudson waiting in the wings.

I do hate seeing Smoltz end his career like this. :sad He just doesn't have it anymore, and it is really showing in Boston. I finally saw the recap of last night, and that was U-G-L-Y. :ohmy

Titan723
08-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Red Sox designate John Smoltz for assignment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4384410

Jones31
08-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Thank god. The highlights probably wasn't near as bad as sitting through it.

Jones31
08-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Well, Cox gets the boot for an MLB record 148 times. The home plate umpire indicates strike then changes his mind.

ZachLV27
08-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Well, Cox gets the boot for an MLB record 148 times. The home plate umpire indicates strike then changes his mind.

My only guess is that he was signaling for him to head to first. At least that is the only explanation I can come up with. Scully has gone over it several times already and he is just as confused as I am.

I get a feeling the umpire is going to get an ear full after this game.

Jones31
08-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Probably, I was just watching MLBN and they were doing a look in.

ZachLV27
08-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Billingsley hurt his hamstring again. :sad

NYTitan21
08-08-2009, 12:34 AM
WHAT A GAME!

Yanks and Dead Sox take it to 15 innings knotted at 0 and AROD smacks one out to win it 2-0

AN ABOMB FROM AROD!!

Sect309Fan
08-08-2009, 05:39 AM
My only guess is that he was signaling for him to head to first. At least that is the only explanation I can come up with. Scully has gone over it several times already and he is just as confused as I am.

I get a feeling the umpire is going to get an ear full after this game.

Wow. :ohmy

I just read about what happened in the AJC, and this kind of thing is getting ridiculous. I am so glad Bobby is the manager of the Braves, because he puts up with so much crap from these idiotic umpires to protect his players.

Thank goodness the Braves won eventually, because I don't know how many heartaches this team can take anymore.

MillaKilla8
08-08-2009, 04:35 PM
CC has a perfect game going right now in the 5th inning. He is a beast.

Jones31
08-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Red Sox sure know how to choke themselves out.

ZachLV27
08-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Kershaw was dominant again.

Dodgers offense was non-existent again. (The offense has been sputtering for a month now)

A closer does his best job to try and blow a save for the 3rd straight game in this series. Luckily for Soriano, Escobar can play some pretty good defense when he decides to try.

NYTitan21
08-09-2009, 02:29 AM
Yanks win in a shutout

CC is indeed a beast.

this maybe the year we've been waiting for since 00!

Sect309Fan
08-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Kershaw was dominant again.

Dodgers offense was non-existent again. (The offense has been sputtering for a month now)

A closer does his best job to try and blow a save for the 3rd straight game in this series. Luckily for Soriano, Escobar can play some pretty good defense when he decides to try.

These games are killing me with the tension. :ohmy Three crazy games in a row in LA.

What hurts is that even with these wins, the Braves are still 5.5 out of first in the East and 4.5 out of the wild card. They still have a chance to make the postseason, but I really hope Sorinao can get his stuff back together.

Sect309Fan
08-09-2009, 06:07 PM
The Braves score 5 in the 9th to blow open a close game, as they win 8-2 and take 3 of 4 from the Dodgers. Thank goodness for no late game tension this time around.

Now they have to face a Nationals team that has won 8 in a row. :ohmy But the Braves did pull closer with the Phillies, who like the Dodgers are struggling. (they gained a game in the wild card as well)

MillaKilla8
08-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Mariners win series against TB.

Titansfan777
08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
WTF is up with the Nat's...I just might have to bring the Nationals hat outta the closet.

Jones31
08-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't dust it off just yet, they are still about 30 games under .500

Sect309Fan
08-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't dust it off just yet, they are still about 30 games under .500

32. But they have almost overtaken the Royals, the only other sub .400 team. :D

titanup23
08-10-2009, 10:01 PM
WTF is up with the Nat's...I just might have to bring the Nationals hat outta the closet.

Is it on top of the Michigan hat or under?? :D

MillaKilla8
08-11-2009, 03:03 PM

hahahaha...well played sir

Titansfan777
08-11-2009, 10:04 PM

I can deal with a losing season once every 40 years from Michigan :thumbsup