PDA

View Full Version : College World Series and playoffs thread

Sect309Fan
06-04-2010, 08:54 AM
The college baseball playoffs start up today at the 16 regional sites. http://www.ncaa.com/graphics/D1Baseball/Base-D1-2010Bracket.pdf

Obviously the big one for me is the Louisville regional, where #2 Vandy plays #3 Illinois St. and #1 Louisville plays #4 St. Louis. Vandy has beaten both Illinois St. and Louisville this year, so there is hope that Vandy can finally win one of these (only has happened once under Corbin after so many near misses).

The winner of this bracket does have a great shot at the CWS. Florida St. is the #1 seed in the opposing bracket, but they have to play at #2 UConn.

merl13
06-04-2010, 12:38 PM
TCU will win.

Sect309Fan
06-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Vandy wins 8-7 in the bottom of the 13th inning. :faint

Both teams had lots of chances to win it. Illinois St. had their best chance with the bases loaded and only one out in the top of the 13th, but Vandy induced a double play to end it. Vandy had a one-out double in the 13th, the next guy was walked, and Jack Armstrong, a pitcher, was brought in to pinch hit and win the game.

Whew!

Sect309Fan
06-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Vandy lost to Louisville yesterday, but they beat Illinois State again this morning and crushed Louisville 10-4 this afternoon to force a Monday final. Vandy seems to do this every single year, which is good and bad. It is good that they can come back, but bad because they never seem to win the Monday game. Maybe this year will be different.

Rolltide14TOMB
06-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Roll tide!!!!!! 5-0 vs GT in the 2nd for the right to play for all the regional marbles tommorrow night....hopefully we dont blow the lead

Rolltide14TOMB
06-06-2010, 06:45 PM
the defending champs and current sec champions are on the brink down 4-3 to UC Irvine late.....

Sect309Fan
06-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Vandy has a 2-1 lead going in the 9th... 3 outs away from making only their 2nd super regional, with Sonny Gray on the mound.

Gray gives up 2 hits with 2 outs in the 9th to tie the game. Vandy has the winning run at 2nd with one out, but fail to get a hit. :banghead

Extra innings...Vandy always seems to lose in extra innings in these games. :(

Sect309Fan
06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Vandy wins in the 10th on a safety squeeze bunt!!!! They finally did it!!

Vandy has a best 2 out of 3 with Florida State to go to the College World Series.

rpearljr
06-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Vandy wins in the 10th on a safety squeeze bunt!!!! They finally did it!!

Vandy has a best 2 out of 3 with Florida State to go to the College World Series.

GO SEMINOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!but i have watched a lot of the vandy guys grow up on the ball field both drew fann and sonny grey i have umpired their games since they were 5 yrs old lol

Rolltide14TOMB
06-08-2010, 06:58 AM
what a win for the crimson tide sweeping the #8 national seed in atlanta. much like vandy we came from the losers bracket, now its off to clemson. we were 10-15 at one point in the sec and almost didnt make the sec tournament. Now we are 2 wins from omaha...baseball is a crazy game

Sect309Fan
06-08-2010, 07:25 AM
When I saw Alabama being down early in that game, I was worried about them. But a great win for Bama. It does surprise me some that Bama made it to the next round, while Auburn didn't.

Florida, South Carolina, Arkansas, Vandy, and Alabama will represent the SEC in the Super Regionals. The bad news is that Florida is the only one of them that will host (at least they should host) this round. Hopefully some of the SEC teams can make it to the CWS.

Rolltide14TOMB
06-08-2010, 11:48 AM
I was hoping for Auburn to win for 2 reasons:
1. What an epic "Iron Bowl" Baseball series with so much at stake
2. It would assure an SEC Representative in the CWS even if it is Auburn

but it is what it is and we are going to have to win 2 against a very good clemson team.
I believe South Carolina will go the deepest FWIW

Sect309Fan
06-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Not a good start for Vandy. Down 6-0 after 2.

Starting pitching from the usual starters has sucked this whole postseason. They have done much better with relievers out there.

Sect309Fan
06-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah! Vandy has tied it 6-6 in the 6th with 1 in the 4th, 3 in the 5th, and 2 in the 6th. Great comeback so far!

7-6 Vandy in the 7th! That's 3 homers for Vandy.

7-7 now on a wild pitch and sac fly.

8-7 Vandy on their 4th homer of the game! (top of the 8th inning)

8-8 going into the 9th (Fl. St. homer in bottom of 8th)

8-8 going into the bottom of the 9th....

merl13
06-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I wish this game would hurry so I could see my frogs dominate.

Sect309Fan
06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Vandy loses 9-8 on yet another home run. What is with that park? Balls were flying out left and right.

This one hurts. Vandy fought back, had the lead twice late in the game, and just blew it. They have to bounce back tomorrow.

Sect309Fan
06-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Vandy win 6-2 to force a game 3. Vandy took a 3-0 lead early, hung on with some great defensive help, and then score 3 in the bottom of the 8th to put the game away.

rpearljr
06-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Vandy win 6-2 to force a game 3. Vandy took a 3-0 lead early, hung on with some great defensive help, and then score 3 in the bottom of the 8th to put the game away.

Sonny owned us today. I have watched him grow up so it was kinda cool watching that we gotta get it tomorrow

Sect309Fan
06-14-2010, 10:22 AM
I might as well finish what I started...

Vandy did what they seem to have done all year, and that is fall behind early in the game (4-0). And then the relievers held off FS till the 8th, allowing the offense to fight back to 4-3 (though it could have been a lot more if a failed hit and run hadn't resulted in a double play). Vandy then blew it in the 8th, giving up a based-clearing double with 2 outs, making it 7-3.

In the 9th, Vandy faced a closer that had given up only one earned run all year. But Vandy fought to the very end, scoring 3 to pull within one run. With a man on first and the winning run at the plate, the hopes for going to their first ever CWS seemed possible. But our batter took two quick strikes before swinging and missing at the last pitch. Game over...season over. :(

That loss Friday is really what killed them. At least then, they had the lead in the 7th and 8th innings, but couldn't hold on. In this game, all they could do is get close. It was still a remarkable season for Vandy, but you only get so many chances to get to the CWS. It hurts a lot to come so close, but not make it.

Sect309Fan
06-30-2010, 07:53 AM
South Carolina wins the college World series over UCLA!

It's the university's first men's national championship in any sport. Congrats to South Carolina and another SEC World Series championship! :thumbsup

Rolltide14TOMB
06-30-2010, 03:50 PM
I was hoping for Auburn to win for 2 reasons:
1. What an epic "Iron Bowl" Baseball series with so much at stake
2. It would assure an SEC Representative in the CWS even if it is Auburn

but it is what it is and we are going to have to win 2 against a very good clemson team.
I believe South Carolina will go the deepest FWIW

i mean i think i should get loads of rep for this prediction! and actually to my buddy predicted them to win it all before the super regionals