PDA

View Full Version : Craziness at PGA Championship

Sect309Fan
08-15-2010, 06:35 PM
I have see a lot of weird ends to majors, but this is a new one. Dustin Johnson had a one shot lead over two others going into 18. He knocks his drive way off line into the crowd, and the ball lands in a sandy patch of ground.

The crowd was all around him, and it was outside the ropes. Dustin then set up the shot, putting his club on the ground, just like any normal shot. He then hits a high shot in the rough around the green. His third shot lands about 5 to 10 feet away from the pin (wonderful shot), but he missed the winning putt.

As soon as he knocks in the bogey, a rule official comes up to him. They go into the tent for a lengthly discussion about what happened. The final ruling is that he was in a sand trap, and he "grounded" his club for a 2-shot penalty. This course is filled with a bunch of sand traps in weird locations, and while many look like ordinary bunkers, a good number don't.

So Johnson was not allowed to participate in the playoff, and he dropped all the way to 5th place. :ohmy

ZachLV27
08-15-2010, 07:48 PM
The second I saw his drive go out that way I thought it might end up in a bunker. Once I saw his lie I said to myself "He better play this safe and not ground his club". The second he grounded his club I had a feeling things were about to get interesting.

That said, I don't know how I feel about the ruling. The rules officials made sure to emphasize this week that all bunkers inside and outside of the lines were to be played as normal sand bunkers, so he should have possibly known better. On the other hand, how in the hell can you call that a sand bunker? If you're going to let the fans trample through that area then there is no way you can count those the same as any other bunker. If it was a bunker inside the lines then it would have to have been raked well before his ball was ever near it. That bunker wasn't raked. Hell, that bunker didn't even look like a bunker.

I guess he should have paid more attention to the rules and known better, so the penalty was his fault. The PGA has to take on some of the blame though because there is no way it should have ever been counted as a bunker to begin with.

TitanPop
08-15-2010, 08:51 PM
The second I saw his drive go out that way I thought it might end up in a bunker. Once I saw his lie I said to myself "He better play this safe and not ground his club". The second he grounded his club I had a feeling things were about to get interesting.

That said, I don't know how I feel about the ruling. The rules officials made sure to emphasize this week that all bunkers inside and outside of the lines were to be played as normal sand bunkers, so he should have possibly known better. On the other hand, how in the hell can you call that a sand bunker? If you're going to let the fans trample through that area then there is no way you can count those the same as any other bunker. If it was a bunker inside the lines then it would have to have been raked well before his ball was ever near it. That bunker wasn't raked. Hell, that bunker didn't even look like a bunker.

I guess he should have paid more attention to the rules and known better, so the penalty was his fault. The PGA has to take on some of the blame though because there is no way it should have ever been counted as a bunker to begin with.

I agree, but he should of called an official over for a ruling AND they should of moved the spectators back much further then they did, it looked like he was hitting the ball through a very narrow funnel.

Rolltide14TOMB
08-16-2010, 02:36 PM
i was one who said that as well. I said to my parents "Why is he grounding his club in that bunker?" no one said anything and he hit the shot and i forgot about it until of course we heard the news

MusicCityMullet
08-16-2010, 04:58 PM
i think he kinda knew what he did right after the fact...he kinda hit the sand and then looked around and then pointed to the ground. but i do feel sorry for the dude.