PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Vols hired who?

TITAN 1
03-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Tennessee makes quick work of search, hires Pearl's replacement
Sunday, March 27, 2011 at 6:34pm
Staff reports
Printer-friendly versionSend to friend

The University of Tennessee’s search for Bruce Pearl’s replacement did not take long.

Cuonzo Martin, who went 61-41 in three seasons at Missouri State, was announced as the new coach of the Volunteers on Sunday. His official introduction was scheduled for a Monday afternoon press conference in Knoxville.

He is a finalist for two national coach of the year awards this season after he guided his team to a 26-9 record and the Missouri Valley Conference regular season title. The Bears lost in the conference tournament final and was relegated to the NIT, where it defeated Murray State and then lost to Miami (Fla).

“Cuonzo is among the most promising young coaches in the game, and we are excited about the coaching ability, toughness, and energy that he brings to our program,” UT director of athletics Mike Hamilton said in a release announcing the move. "He has a proven track record of success as a head coach. … His Missouri State program improved from 11 wins to 26 in just two seasons, and they won the regular season conference championship this year.”

Martin. 39, is a cancer survivor whose playing career was cut short by the illness. He was in Italy in Nov. 1997 when he was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. He received his last treatment in April, 1998 and the disease was classified as “in full remission.”

"Cuonzo has an inspiring personal story, and we look forward to his impact on Tennessee basketball,” Hamilton said. “We welcome Cuonzo, his wife Roberta, their sons Joshua and Chase, and their daughter, Addison, to the Tennessee family.”

Orca
03-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Knoxville, Tennessee -- always good for a laugh.

Johnnyb
03-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Did I hear correctly on this? Is he already facing possible NCAA sanctions? Why would UT even hire a guy who is under scrutiny after all the NCAA issues they already have? It baffles the mind... thank goodness I hate creamsicle orange.

Sect309Fan
03-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Did I hear correctly on this? Is he already facing possible NCAA sanctions? Why would UT even hire a guy who is under scrutiny after all the NCAA issues they already have? It baffles the mind... thank goodness I hate creamsicle orange.

I think you misread something. UT is facing NCAA sanctions because of Pearl. The new coach is clean.

Johnnyb
03-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Ohhh, I know what it was, there was a quote of his saying he wasn't worried about the impending sanctions. I thought it was in reference to something he had done but he was referring to UT's problems. You are correct... I did misread, not afraid to admit it.

Parddy
03-30-2011, 02:38 PM
You would've at least thought the Vols would wait and give Shaka a call? Maybe feel him out? Kid can coach.