PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NCAA baseball tourney

Sect309Fan
05-31-2011, 08:30 AM
The brackets came out yesterday: http://espn.go.com/ncaa/bracket?id=6607258

I still can't figure out why Vandy is not higher than the #6 seed. They split with #4 South Carolina this year, had the higher ranking in the polls, had a better overall record, had a better record against the top 50, and had a better rpi. :huh

They still host a regional, and they will host a super regional if they can get past this round. Belmont (making their first NCAA tourney), Oklahoma State, and Troy will be here.

Austin Peay, the OVC champions, travel to Atlanta to play in the Georgia Tech regional. Mississippi State and Southern Miss round out that bracket.

And for Parddy, UConn is in the Clemson regional with Coastal Carolina and Sacred Heart.

Parddy
05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks 309!!!

Interesting, Sacred Heart is a Connecticut school too.

Sect309Fan
06-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Austin Peay beats Georgia Tech 2-1!!!! Great win for the Govs!

Vandy up 10-0 in the top of the 9th against Belmont, but bases are loaded with no one out.

Vandy got out of the inning with no damage. Vandy wins 10-0 and will play Troy tomorrow night.

Sect309Fan
06-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Belmont got their first NCAA tournament win with a 3-2 victory over Oklahoma State today. Congrats!

Sect309Fan
06-06-2011, 05:10 AM
Vandy beat Belmont 6-1 last night to win their region. Oregon State beat Georgia last night as well, so Oregon State will travel to Nashville this weekend for a best 2 out of 3 to see who goes to the College World Series.

Mississippi State came out of Atlanta as the #3 seed, and they will travel to Florida.

Uconn has played very well since losing their opening game. They have won 3 straight and have forced a Monday game against #1 Clemson.

Sect309Fan
06-07-2011, 06:05 AM
UConn had a huge win (14-1) over Clemson to win the regional. Now they face last year's champion South Carolina.

Here is a link to the TV schedule for the Super Regionals: http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/2011-06-07/super-regional-sites-times-released

Vandy - Oregon State starts Friday

Fri 7 p.m. (ESPNUHD)
Sat 8 p.m. (ESPN2HD)
Sun 3/6/9 p.m. (ESPNHD/ESPN2HD/ESPN2HD)

Parddy
06-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Good baseball being played right there in Nashville this weekend. Nice. Best of Luck to Vandy in the quest to reach Omaha. UConn playing with house money at this point and hitting the ball well. Stranger things have happened.

In a three game series you would think you could get at least ONE home game. Oh well, it is what it is... Go Huskies.

Sect309Fan
06-08-2011, 10:33 AM
In a three game series you would think you could get at least ONE home game. Oh well, it is what it is... Go Huskies.

With the distance that most of the visiting teams have to travel, it doesn't make sense to split the games up between the two teams playing. The NCAA does swap up the home team and visiting team, however. Vandy was actually the "visiting" team in two of their three games in the regional.

Parddy
06-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I know, it is unrealistic at this point to fly them back and forth. Basically just sour grapes on my part. Well, at least they get a "last at bat"... That is something anyway, I did not realize they did that.

Sect309Fan
06-08-2011, 10:55 AM
It's a bit weird, but it can really help out at times. Last year in the regional Championship game between Vandy and host Louisville, Vandy got to be the "home" team. It went to the 10th inning, where Vandy hit a squeeze bunt to win the game. I don't know if they do that if they are the visiting team.

Then in the Super Regional at Florida State, Vandy lost the first game as the visiting team, but won the 2nd as the home team. They even got to be the home team in game 3, which almost paid off. They were down 4 in the bottom of the 9th, and scored 3 in a furious rally. But they couldn't get anymore in the loss.

I just don't remember why Vandy got to be the home team in game 3 of a Super Regional. It might have been a coin flip.

Update: It is a coin flip for game 3.

MillaKilla8
06-10-2011, 09:34 PM
beavs got rocked tonight, hopefully they can bounce back tomorrow and force a game three. go beavs

Sect309Fan
06-10-2011, 10:45 PM
That was a really fun game to go to. Vandy dominated from the 1st inning. Sonny Gray pitched a great game, and the hitters came through over and over again. One win from Omaha!

MillaKilla8
06-11-2011, 08:04 PM
here we go sect!

Sect309Fan
06-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Three 2-run homers by 1st baseman Westlake led Vandy to a 9-3 victory. Vandy is going to the CWS!!!!!! :bowdown

They will face North Carolina in game 1. I am really hoping Mississippi State can pull off another upset of Florida on Sunday, since Florida is the only team I really fear.

MillaKilla8
06-12-2011, 07:09 PM
along with a dominant pitching staff, vandy can sure hit the **** out of the ball. congrats to them. great run for the beavers as well, considering they were picked to finish 8th in the pac ten this year.

Sect309Fan
06-13-2011, 05:30 AM
Not surprisingly, the three best SEC teams all year all made the CWS. Florida, South Carolina, and Vandy all were in the top 5 in the polls for most of the season, and they defended their rankings well.

Virginia, the #1 seed, has to play a third game against UC Irvine today. If they were to lose, South Carolina would be a heavy favorite to win that half of the bracket.

Vandy has a tough bracket to make it to the CWS finals. It's a double elimination format again, with Florida vs. Texas and Vandy vs. North Carolina. I would hate for Vandy to have to play an elimination game vs. either Texas or Florida, so hopefully they can beat Carolina and take some pressure off.

In the other bracket, SC and Cal have made it. Florida State ripped Texas A&M 23-9 to force a game 3.

Predarat
06-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Congrats to Vandy, best wishes in Omaha!

SouthSide Titan
06-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Represent Vandy!!!

kytitansfan1
06-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Go commodores!!!

Sect309Fan
06-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Vandy is 3 outs away from winning the first game of the tourney! Vandy is up 7-3, though it definitely hasn't been easy. Sonny Gray was not sharp, and he hit a batter with the bases loaded to fall behind 2-3.

But in the 6th, Vandy had a single, then had a ball that hit the top of the wall (just missed a homer) for a double, tying the game. Harrell then hit a no-doubt homerun (first in the new stadium's history) to take a 5-3 lead. The momentum has been all Vandy after that homer.

Let's finish this up, Vandy!

Sect309Fan
06-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Vandy wins!!!!! 7-3 is the final despite a 1-out triple by NC.

Jimmyd24
06-18-2011, 11:50 PM
309, seems like you are a big Vandy fan

how is Jack Armstrong done for you guys this year, played baseball with him for a year in high school before switching schools and remember hearing a few years back that he got a scholarship to Vanderbilt.

Sect309Fan
06-19-2011, 04:23 AM
309, seems like you are a big Vandy fan

how is Jack Armstrong done for you guys this year, played baseball with him for a year in high school before switching schools and remember hearing a few years back that he got a scholarship to Vanderbilt.

That's pretty cool. Jack was used as a starter last year, and he went 7-4 in 16 starts. Unfortunately, he didn't do very well in the playoffs last year, and I wonder if that contributed to his playing time this year. He has only played in 13 games this year and only 17 innings total. He only gave up 6 runs this year, which isn't bad, and he had 17 strikeouts.

He was one of the 12 Vandy players drafted last week, and he went in the 3rd round (99th overall) to the Astros.

In other news, Florida overcame 2 early errors and a 0-3 deficit to storm back to a 8-4 win over Texas. So Florida and Vandy will meet a 5th time this year in the winners' bracket game. While Florida is 3-1 so far against Vandy, Vandy very likely wins one more of those games if the very first game hadn't been postponed by rain. It should be a great game, and Florida is really the only team I fear as a Vandy fan. They one of the few teams in the CWS that can pitch and hit as well as Vandy.

Sect309Fan
06-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Vandy and Florida got rained out in the bottom of the 6th inning last night. They will start again about 10 AM this morning. Florida took advantage of a walk and an error by pitcher Garvin and hit a 3-run homer. :(

3-1 Florida. But Vandy can certainly come back from just 2 runs down. The bullpen is going to have to be great though to keep Florida from scoring more.

Sect309Fan
06-21-2011, 11:12 AM
That was a bit frustrating. I go to a 10-11 am meeting today, and by the time the meeting ends, the game was over. :(

It was so quick because neither team got a hit (and only one walk) the rest of the game. Now Vandy has to play North Carolina again tomorrow in an elimination game.

Sect309Fan
06-23-2011, 05:07 AM
Vandy gad a nice 5-1 win last night to set up set another game with with Florida. Vandy hit two more home runs n the game, and a leadoff triple in the 1st set up an early 1-0 lead.

It did get pretty tense at one point. In the top of the 5th, North Carolina had scored once, and the bases were loaded with 2 out. Jacob Stallings was at the plate, and he had already hit two doubles in the game. But Vandy struck him out to end the threat, and Carolina never threatened again.

Sect309Fan
06-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Here is how the schedule works for the rest of the way.

Tonight at 6 PM, Virginia plays Cal

Tomorrow at 1 PM, Vandy plays Florida
Tomorrow at 6 PM, the winner of Virigina/Cal plays South Carolina (so they don't get a day off)

Saturday, there could be zero, one, or two games depending on who wins on Friday. No times have been announced. My best guess is that if both underdogs win, it will be a 1 PM/6 PM schedule again. If only one wins, it will be a 6 PM game.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wed (if necessary) will be the championship series (best 2 of 3), all at 7 PM central.

Predarat
06-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Good job last night, and best wishes to Vandy tomorrow. I'm not a huge Vandy fan myself but its nice to see them make a splash in the CWS.

Comar
06-23-2011, 11:42 PM
I don't pull for Vanderbilt often but I am now. <--------------kiss of death. :baseballbat

Sect309Fan
06-24-2011, 02:35 PM
After a first inning home run by Vandy's Westlake, Florida has taken the momentum. Sonny Gray has not been sharp, giving up 6 hits and 3 walks. Florida leads 3-1 after a bases-loaded, 2-out single broke a 1-1 tie.

Vandy is down to their last 12 outs...

9 outs left and now they are down 4-1. I have no idea why Sonny Gray is still pitching. 9 hits, 4 walks, 2 errors.

Vandy scores to make it 4-2 in the 7th. They still have 2 on and 2 out for Bryan Johns.

Walk leads to the bases loaded for hot hitting Tony Kemp....

Another walk makes it 4-3 ! Still two outs and bases loaded.

Fly ball ends the inning. Vandy down to their last 6 outs now.

Sect309Fan
06-24-2011, 07:21 PM
I am angry and perplexed at Tim Corbin for losing this game. I don't mind players losing games, but when a manager/coach does it, it infuriates me.

Sonny Gray should have been pulled in the 4th in a 1-1 game. He wasn't, and Florida easily made it 4-1. You would think after Vandy miraculously tied the game in the 8th that Vandy would finally go to their bullpen.

But NOOOOOOOO....he had to leave Gray in with his 120 pitch count. Not surprising, it was bases loaded and no outs thanks to Gray's piss poor defense against bunts.

Florida scored two and won 6-4. Idiotic managing lost the game.

Sect309Fan
06-28-2011, 05:21 AM
Pretty amazing game 1 between South Carolina and Florida last night.

In a 1-1 game in the bottom of the ninth, Florida had bases loaded and no one out. The next batter grounds the ball up the middle, and the second baseman grabs it on a short hop and throws home for one out. The next batter grounds it to the 2nd baseman again, who throws it home and then to first for an inning ending double play.

In the 10th, Florida gets a hit with a man on 2nd, but the left fielder for SC makes a terrific throw to the catcher to get the runner out at the plate.

In the 13th, SC scores a run when the ball is overthrown past 2nd base and then past 3rd base. Florida still had a man on 2nd in the bottom of the inning, but SC didn't let him score the win.

ZachLV27
06-28-2011, 06:38 AM
Pretty amazing game 1 between South Carolina and Florida last night.

In a 1-1 game in the bottom of the ninth, Florida had bases loaded and no one out. The next batter grounds the ball up the middle, and the second baseman grabs it on a short hop and throws home for one out. The next batter grounds it to the 2nd baseman again, who throws it home and then to first for an inning ending double play.

In the 10th, Florida gets a hit with a man on 2nd, but the left fielder for SC makes a terrific throw to the catcher to get the runner out at the plate.

In the 13th, SC scores a run when the ball is overthrown past 2nd base and then past 3rd base. Florida still had a man on 2nd in the bottom of the inning, but SC didn't let him score the win.

That 2nd baseman (Wingo) for SC has been making big play after big play during this tourney. I've been keeping an eye on him because the Dodgers just drafted him.

That entire game last night was a pleasure to watch.

Jimmyd24
06-28-2011, 09:08 PM
This is getting weird now, I turn on the TV start watching and see a kid by the name of Peter Mooney playing shortstop, couldnt be the same Mooney I played with for a year as a Sophomore in high school before he transfered, sure enough it is.

Sect309Fan
06-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Congrats to South Carolina for their 2nd championship in a row. They set several records by going undefeated this year in the tournament (10-0) and winning 11 straight CWS games going back to last year.

The all-tournament team was all SEC. I am glad a couple of Vandy guys made it.

Robert Beary, C, South Carolina; Christian Walker, 1B, South Carolina; Scott Wingo, 2B, South Carolina; Cody Dent, 3B, Florida; Peter Mooney, SS, South Carolina; Tony Kemp, OF, Vanderbilt; Connor Harrell, OF, Vanderbilt; Bryson Smith, OF, Florida; Brady Thomas, DH, South Carolina; Michael Roth, P, South Carolina; Matt Price, P, South Carolina.