PDA

View Full Version : NBA Lockout

Johnnyb
06-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, that's 2 down, 2 to go... why don't all the professional sports just lock out? Sounds like the trendy thing to do...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6723645

ZachLV27
06-30-2011, 02:56 PM
I agree with the NBA owners 100% on this one. The owners have shown that the teams are losing money yet the players don't want to negotiate back any of that money to help the owners. Since the players aren't really wanting to negotiate now the owners are going to go for the throat and push some serious changes that the current players union will never agree to. Now that they have locked out the players the league is going to push for an NHL like overhaul of the system (of course not as drastic since the NBA makes quite a bit more) and now we're going to just have to wait and see who blinks first. We most likely wont have a season though.

ZachLV27
06-30-2011, 02:57 PM
The NHL and MLB wont be going into a lockout anytime soon though. Both of those leagues seemed to have learned their lessons. MLB's current deal comes up this winter but most are saying good progress has already been made on it.

Johnnyb
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
The NHL and MLB wont be going into a lockout anytime soon though. Both of those leagues seemed to have learned their lessons. MLB's current deal comes up this winter but most are saying good progress has already been made on it.

Even though I wasn't really serious, that is good to hear :)

Sect309Fan
06-30-2011, 03:06 PM
While I side on the NBA owners as well, it really is their fault it came to this. They cared more about paying outrageous salaries to role players that controlling their own expenses.

Now they have to have a lockout to save the league from their poor decisions. Unlike the NFL owners, the NBA really is losing money.

don28
06-30-2011, 07:20 PM

I wish I was as confident about the NHL not facing another lockout as you are. Salaries have spiraled out of control since the lockout, and with Don Fehr (former head of Major League Baseball's Player Association) in charge of the NHLPA, a lockout is a real possibility.

Titansfan777
06-30-2011, 09:11 PM
just when the grizzlies get good...a lockout happens

Toronto
06-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I wish I was as confident about the NHL not facing another lockout as you are. Salaries have spiraled out of control since the lockout, and with Don Fehr (former head of Major League Baseball's Player Association) in charge of the NHLPA, a lockout is a real possibility.

Couldn;t agree more. The NHL is telling teams that the floor is now $48M, which is a rise from approximately 30M when they shut the league down for an entire season. There are a number of teams that have to overpay for players now just to ensure they make that floor. I don't understand how the league is able to have this high a salary cap. Their TV revenue pales in comparison to the NBA. I guess Canadian teams have skewed the numbers right now - most are extremely profitable and have terrific local/national TV deals.

ZachLV27
06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
You guys would know more about the NHL than I would. My statement was based off of something I read a little while back but it could have been flawed or just outright wrong.

Toronto
07-01-2011, 01:09 AM
You guys would know more about the NHL than I would. My statement was based off of something I read a little while back but it could have been flawed or just outright wrong.

The NHL shut itself down for several reasons.

1) Haves and Have nots - teams like the Rangers, Leafs, Flyers and Red Wings had enormous payrolls. They blew their brains out on any UFA. While the Leafs made a ton of dumbass signings/trades, they could always replace bad money with more money. Owen Nolan one year, Brian Leetch the next. Curtis Joseph, then Ed Belfour. Teams on the other end of the spectrum, like the Preds, Panthers, Oilers couldn't compete. Enough teams forced Bettman/Daly to kill the league.

2) A poor Canadian dollar - the 6 teams in Canada (now 7) have all benefited HUGE from a dollar at par with the US buck. The reveue that these teams now pump into the league is significant. Back then, two teams were in deep trouble (Sens, Oilers) getting revenue subsidies and begging the federal government for tax breaks. Today CBC, TSN and Sportsnet all pay a ton to the NHL for regional, national and playoff rights.

3) Cost certainty - the league felt that players were getting way too big a slice of the revenue pie, while the players didn't trust the owners. The compramise was complicated, but in a nutshell the salary cap would be tied into league revenue growth. Because the NHL had little to go but up after the lockout, the salary cap has skyrocketed.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/learnthegame/a/nhl_salary_cap.htm

Basically the league has gone from a $39M cap in 2005-06 to today, 64.5M with a floor higher than the actual cap when the lockout ended. Its a recipe for disaster, expecially with Fehr running the NHLPA now.

Johnnyb
07-01-2011, 08:04 AM
I may be mistaken but I thought I heard that the MLBPA was supporting the NFLPA for their stand? I have no idea what that has to do with anything, but it worries me if all the PA's are on one side and the owners are all on the other... Could be a real recipe for disaster.

Let's just hope the NFL can get a deal done, I would care far less about the rest of the sports if there's football.

Sect309Fan
07-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I may be mistaken but I thought I heard that the MLBPA was supporting the NFLPA for their stand? I have no idea what that has to do with anything, but it worries me if all the PA's are on one side and the owners are all on the other... Could be a real recipe for disaster.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. Labor sides with labor. Owners side with owners. That's what is expected.

The NBA lockout is needed, though it's basically the owners saying that they were stupid with their money and they need to get finances under control again.

ZachLV27
07-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Let's just hope the NFL can get a deal done, I would care far less about the rest of the sports if there's football.

The MLBPA and a number of other associations sided with the NFLPA when they were fighting for their right to decertify. It was just a show of support for that one issue. It had nothing to do with anything else the NFLPA is wanting in their fight with the NFL.

ZachLV27
07-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I just heard Derek Fisher on the radio and he was going over the NBAPA's stance in this fight and he went on to talk about how this was about more than just the NBA. He was saying this is a stance for unions everywhere after how things have been going on with governments and unions in Wisconsin, other states, and other countries. We are in for a very long fight if they are wanting to take stances like this. The last part was brought up when asked about their claim that the NBA wants to break the union. He pointed out how it is happening all over the world right now and they can't allow it anymore.

Old Oilers Fan
07-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Let them all lock out and Hollywood can join them. They are all overpaid any ways. Time to give that selfish money to the people that does good for this country. :2cents

JimOkc
08-04-2011, 02:26 AM
KD had an amazing night at Rucker Park

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Oklahoma-City-Thunder-F-Kevin-Durant-scores-66-points-at-Rucker-Park-in-New-York-City-080211

Kevin Durant's performance created an evening for the ages at Harlem's famed Rucker Park, the New York Post reported Tuesday.

The Oklahoma City Thunder All-Star shook off a slow start and poured in an astounding 66 points to lead DC Power to a 99-93 win over the Sean Bell All-Stars Monday night in front of a standing-room only crowd at the Entertainers Basketball Classic (EBC) at streetball's most famous park.

Video at Fox Sports available.

DelawareTitans
08-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I couldn't care less about missing an NBA season. It'll be one more year that Lebron has to wait to go for another ring. As long as I have football and hockey, I'l be fine.