PDA

View Full Version : Official 2012 MLB Season thread

Sect309Fan
03-22-2012, 09:10 AM
It's time to kick off a new season of baseball. :thumbsup

Some early news...Chipper Jones will retire at the end of the season. http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/03/22/chipper-will-retire-at-end-of-season/

I just hope he can make it most of the season. He is one of my favorite players of all time, but it is tough to see him the bench healing for so many games each year. It does sound like he will have a job inside the Braves after this retirement.

titanfan62702
03-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Are Cardinal fans welcome?

Sect309Fan
03-22-2012, 11:02 AM

All fans are welcome! While we are all Titans fans, many of us root for different baseball teams.

titanfan62702
03-22-2012, 11:40 AM
All fans are welcome! While we are all Titans fans, many of us root for different baseball teams.

Thanks. I'm really not sure how the season will go this year. Still riding high from 2011.

titanfan62702
04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Where's all the baseball fans? Season has started, and so far I'm fairly happy with the new version of the Cardinals. Strange not to see #5 or Tony.

Titan723
04-10-2012, 07:23 AM

As a Reds fan, I am gonna have to say no. Just kidding.

Sect309Fan
04-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Where's all the baseball fans?

I am waiting till my team wins a game...:banghead

Parddy
04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Red Stockings finally get a win in Toronto. The weekend in Detroit was UGLY.

titanfan62702
04-10-2012, 09:51 AM
As a Reds fan, I am gonna have to say no. Just kidding.

LOL. Better than the Cubs -- Completely Useless By Spring.

Sect309Fan
04-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Ozzie Guillen was suspended 5 games by the Marlins themselves, not MLB.

The Venezuelan skipper was quoted as saying, "I respect Fidel Castro. You know why? A lot of people have wanted to kill Fidel Castro for the last 60 years, but (he) is still there."

While at first I was surprised by the suspension, despite it being a stupid comment, I remember former Reds owner Marge Schott was suspended for a lot more for comments praising Hitler and other hurtful statements.

Jones31
04-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Didn't she get a year?

Sect309Fan
04-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Didn't she get a year?

Yep, the 1993 season. But it was more than just the Hitler comments. She supposedly made some very racist comments as well.

MillaKilla8
04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Go Mariners and Go Dodgers

titanfan62702
04-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Opening Day at Busch Stadium --- nothing like it!

Jones31
04-14-2012, 08:45 AM
So Ellsbury is done for a few weeks.... sheesh

ZachLV27
04-15-2012, 07:22 PM
I was at Dodger Stadium on Thursday when they beat the Padres (1 of 6 wins over them already this year). It was a good game, with good weather (there was a threat of rain), and good food.

The Dodgers are now 9-1 after their win today. All 10 games have been against the Padres and Pirates, but it's good to get off to a hot start no matter who it is against.

Kershaw still doesn't have a win yet this season.

Sect309Fan
04-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Zach, that was a crazy triple play in the ninth today. I have never seen a bunt attempt cause three outs like that.

Titanico
04-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Zach, that was a crazy triple play in the ninth today. I have never seen a bunt attempt cause three outs like that.

I also saw it. First triple-play done by the Dodgers, since 1998.

ZachLV27
04-17-2012, 04:23 AM

I'd feel bad for the Padres but their own manager wasn't smart enough to finish the game under protest. Had the game been played out under protest it most likely would have been replayed at a later date from that play onward.

Bud Black did get tossed from the game for arguing with the umpire on that play, but he was arguing that the ball hit the batter. He didn't even realize that the umpire signaled foul (the play should have been dead the second he signaled that) and never even paid attention to his players arguing that they saw the foul call and returned to their bases.

It was a fair ball though so calling it fair was the proper call. It just shouldn't have ever gotten that far. The second it was called foul the play should have been over.

I'll take the win though. I'll take the 9-1 start as well.

Sect309Fan
04-24-2012, 11:45 AM
I want to thank for Dodgers for shelling Jurrgens last night, forcing Braves management to send him back to triple A. He still hasn't recovered from the shoulder surgery after last years' All Star break, and he doesn't belong in the majors.

Now the really battle begins. The Braves are going to end the Dodgers unbeaten streak at home tonight (and if not, tomorrow night). Mike Minor has looked really good lately.

Sect309Fan
04-25-2012, 07:59 AM
The Braves did end the Dodgers' unbeaten home streak last night in a 4-3 win. Chipper Jones homered, and the Braves are now 11-2 on his birthday. (Chipper is still a year younger than me)

ZachLV27
04-28-2012, 11:47 PM
I love baseball.

The Nationals / Dodgers game is probably one of the best regular season games I've ever watched (Dodgers 4+1 game and last years Rays season finally are two others).

Bryce Harper is an amazing talent and is going to be a lot of fun to watch for a long time. Stephen Strasburg is also an amazing talent which we all already knew.

Oh yeah, Matt Kemp is my hero and just as amazing.

Hearing 50,000 or so chanting MVP at the end of the game was insane.

ZachLV27
04-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Dodgers have played 7 series so far.

They have now had a chance to sweep five of them.

In the other two series, they lost four total games, all in the final AB.

Such a fun season so far.

Sect309Fan
04-30-2012, 02:09 PM
I appreciate the Dodgers sweeping the Nats. The Braves are now tied with the Nats for first place in the East. :)

I find it fascinating that two of the most troubled teams in the offseason (at least from an owner perspective) are two of the most successful teams so far this season. The Dodgers have the best record in the NL, while the Mets are just one game behind the Braves and Nats.

titanfan62702
05-02-2012, 08:05 PM
And the Cardinals go marching along.

Albert who?

ZachLV27
05-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Jered Weaver just tossed a no-hitter. This could be exactly what the Angels needed to kick start their season.

Sect309Fan
05-03-2012, 05:17 AM
Last night was one one of the wildest and craziest Braves games I have ever watched. I tuned in a little late, and Halladay and the Phillies were up 6-0. But in the 5th, the Braves tie the game, the biggest blow on McCann's 2-out grand slam (his first 2-out RBIs of the year). Then they tagged two more on in the 6th.

Unfortunately, the Braves bullpen has been sucky lately, and the Phillies hit a 3 run homer in the 7th and tack on 3 more in the 8th to take a 12-8 lead.

Fear not, the Braves score 5 in the bottom of the 8th (mostly singles) to retake the lead 13-12. But a leadoff walk (4 straight balls) by our closer Kimbrel came back to haunt him as the Phillies tie it in the 9th on a two out hit.

The Braves blow a few more scoring chances until the bottom of the 11th. Uggla gets on base, and Chipper comes to the plate. He hits the ball deep, but just foul. He doesn't miss the next pitch, however, and he ends the Phillies 8 game win streak over the Braves with a 2-run blast. :banana

Titanico
05-03-2012, 03:56 PM
And I heard on radio yesteday, that the Dodgers had been sold. And they talked that is not certain if the team will remain in Los Angeles or not.

They were talking about that, with a sensationalist feeling.

Jones31
05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Dodgers aren't going anywhere.

ZachLV27
05-03-2012, 11:19 PM
No, they aren't. They didn't just spend $2.1 billion to buy the team, the stadium, and the tv rights in the 2nd biggest market in the US to move them elsewhere where they would need to build a new fanbase and somehow come up with a tv deal that would be worth far less than what they will get in LA. Whoever was entertaining the idea of the Dodgers leaving LA has absolutely no business sense.

ZachLV27
05-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Mariano Rivera's career may have ended tonight. Torn ACL.

I hate the Yankees and will always hate them. This sucks for fans of every team though. He has been a great pitcher and the game suffers with losing him.

Jones31
05-03-2012, 11:35 PM
That's sad, he was in tears during interviews after the game.

Parddy
05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
After further review, I have come to the conclusion, that the Red Sox really stink.

Jones31
05-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Red Sox Public Address announcer Carl Beane was killed in a single vehicle crash this afternoon.

Titanico
05-09-2012, 05:23 PM
meh...I get to see another Dodgers vs. Giants game on TV yesterday....and they wasted two chances with the bases loaded, to win the game?

It's hard to be a Dodger fan these days.

ZachLV27
05-09-2012, 11:45 PM
meh...I get to see another Dodgers vs. Giants game on TV yesterday....and they wasted two chances with the bases loaded, to win the game?

It's hard to be a Dodger fan these days.

Watching a team with the best record in the NL and possibly 5 games up in the division is hard? Our offense outside of Kemp, Ethier, and both Ellis' has been horrible, but this team has been tons of fun to watch.

Titanico
05-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Watching a team with the best record in the NL and possibly 5 games up in the division is hard? Our offense outside of Kemp, Ethier, and both Ellis' has been horrible, but this team has been tons of fun to watch.

Oh, don't get me wrong. We do not get so many Dodgers' games now a days.

I get to watch that one against S.F., and it was painful to watch. That's all.

Yvette
05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
After further review, I have come to the conclusion, that the Red Sox really stink.
http://www.avatarist.com/avatars/Sports/Baseball/Kansas-City-Royals/Kansas-City-Royals-Logo.gif

:p

Titan723
05-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Marlins and Reds both win yesterday off walk off grand slams. First time in 14 years 2 have occured on the same day. Joey Votto also made history yesterday. His grand slam was his third home run of the game. First time that has ever happened.

Sect309Fan
05-14-2012, 10:02 AM
I really appreciated that Votto slam, as it put the Braves in first place by themselves for the first time since opening day 2011.

Now the Reds travel to Atlanta for a 2-game series. I just hope the Braves watch how they pitch to Votto and don't give him a chance to hit 3 more in any game.

I am really pumped for the Braves this year. I never imagined the hitting could be so good, especially after last season. If the Braves can get their starting pitching going again, they will be very hard to beat.

Titan723
05-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Should be a fun 2 game series. Keep an eye on jay Bruce also. He's been tearing it up recently. Atlanta visits cincy next week for a 3 game series. I may go up Mon to watch it with my brother, he is a Braves fan.

Sect309Fan
06-07-2012, 01:31 PM
From the keep your mind out of the gutter department... :lol

Chein-Ming Wang is pitching for the Nats against R.A. Dickey of the Mets today. In his last start, Wang faced off against Josh Johnson of the Marlins.

Sect309Fan
07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
The All-Star break is almost here, and if the season ended today, only 2 of last year's 8 playoffs teams would repeat. Who expected the Nats and Pirates to be in first place in their divisions?

I am pretty pissed off at the Braves for their poor play lately. Chipper has been awesome and definitely deserves his All-Star spot, but Uggla, Freeman, McCann, and almost every pitcher on the team has been a big disappointment. :(

Jones31
08-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Welp the Red Sox have just blown up the team, I expect more to get away during the offseason.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8300112/adrian-gonzalez-carl-crawford-josh-beckett-nearing-boston-red-sox-exit-los-angeles-dodgers-sources-say

Titan723
08-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Welp the Red Sox have just blown up the team, I expect more to get away during the offseason.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8300112/adrian-gonzalez-carl-crawford-josh-beckett-nearing-boston-red-sox-exit-los-angeles-dodgers-sources-say

Hopefully it includes that turd that is currently managing them.

Jones31
08-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Don't tease me, he just got assured he'd start the next year of his deal.

Then Gonzalez hits a 3 run bomb in his first AB, Beckett goes on the hill tomorrow.

Sect309Fan
09-17-2012, 12:23 PM
It's a shame no one posts in this thread anymore. Here is a September 17th update:

In the AL, all three division races are within a 3 game margin. Yankees are 1 ahead of the Orioles, White Sox are 2 ahead of the Tigers, and the Rangers are 3 ahead of the A's. A's and Orioles have the wild card for now, with the Angels, Rays, and Tigers within striking distance.

In the NL, the Braves have a slim chance to catch the Nationals after their first sweep on the Nats since 09. They are 5.5 back, and the Nats are playing a lot of wild card contenders the rest of the year. The Reds and Giants are going to be safely in the playoffs.

The Braves have a commanding 7.5 game lead over the Dodgers for the wild card, and the Braves' schedule down the stretch is a whole lot easier than it was in last year's collapse. However, the 2nd wild card spot is definitely up for grabs. The Cardinals have the lead, but the Dodgers, Brewers, Pirates, Phillies, Diamondbacks, and even the Padres (6 back) have a shot.

Without the 2nd wild card, the NL race would be quite boring. And the one-game playoff is making the AL division races that much more important. Overall, I think the 2nd wildcard is terrific for baseball (though if the Braves lose in the one-game playoff, I may change my mind. ;) )

ZachLV27
09-17-2012, 01:02 PM
The 2nd Wild Card is a bunch of teams doing everything possible to not make the playoffs. It isn't going to be a battle of who plays the best going forward. It's going to be a battle to see who can somehow manage not to lose as many as the others.

Losing Matt Kemp for a third of the season then having him come back and try and kill himself on a wall hasn't been fun. He hasn't looked even remotely like the player he is since running into that wall.

We've also lost Billingsley for the rest of this year and possibly all of next year (he still may need TJ surgery).

The final nail to this season for me came last night. Clayton Kershaw has been battling a sore hip the last few weeks and they skipped his start on Sunday. Now it looks like he'll need surgery and wont be available until May at the earliest next year.

So I get to watch us finish this season without our best hitter (Kemp may still be in the lineup but the good Kemp isn't playing in the games) and our 2 best starting pitchers (Our #3 pitcher coming into the year has already been shut down for the year as well). Oh and on top of that our closer has been out a few weeks with an irregular heartbeat.

Someone put me out of my misery.

MDK Titan
09-17-2012, 02:01 PM
well I don't follow baseball as closely as I used to mainly because my A's have been mediocre for awhile but this year has been a big surprise. barring a Braves/Red Sox type collapse, I think they should be good for one of the wildcard spots though the rest of the schedule seems a little rough.

Titan723
09-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Reds magic number is 5. I'm so glad they didn't collapse when Votto went down with the knee injury.

Titan723
09-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Reds win the NL Central!!!

Sect309Fan
09-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Last year in the final game, Chipper Jones went 0-5, Craig Kimbrel blew a save, and Freddi Freeman hit into a game-ending double play in the 13th inning as the Braves missed the playoffs.

Last night, Chipper scored 2 runs and had an RBI, Kimbrel won the game, and Freeman hit a walk-off 2-run homer in the bottom of the 9th to clinch a playoff spot. :thumbsup

The Nats lost, so the Braves are four back with 8 to play. The only situation that really worries me would be a tie for first. Unlike previous years where a tiebreaker would be used, it is a one game playoff instead. So the loser would have to use a good pitcher for the tiebreaker game and then use another good pitcher for the wild card game.

Titanico
09-28-2012, 03:04 PM
what can I say? the Dodgers looked "armed and dangerous" with the recent players they added, but they're about to miss the playoff race.

Titan723
09-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Homer Bailey pitches the first no hitter for the Reds since 1988.

Jones31
09-29-2012, 08:26 AM
what can I say? the Dodgers looked "armed and dangerous" with the recent players they added, but they're about to miss the playoff race.

Looks are deceiving, they played well over their heads the first part then got back to who they really are.

Titanico
09-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Looks are deceiving, they played well over their heads the first part then got back to who they really are.

Agreed , plus not good pitching, is what I am blaming.

ZachLV27
09-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Agreed , plus not good pitching, is what I am blaming.

The Dodgers have had one of the best pitching staffs in baseball (starters and relievers). The major problem the team had is they had a AAA lineup out there for most of June and couldn't hit at all. Then when they traded for all the new guys you had Kemp injured again from running into a wall twice (he's still hurting from that, but will keep playing). This put all the pressure on the new guys and you could tell they were pressing to try and carry the team. It didn't work well.

Oh, on top of that we last 2 of our starting 5 pitchers for a good majority of the year (Billingsley being the most important loss), our closer had to be shutdown for a while due to heart problems, and then we had Kershaw get hurt. If we were already eliminated Kershaw would have been shut down for the year, but he's a gamer and wont quit until we are done.

I'm not all that worried about what has happened this year. The trades we made weren't with just this season in mind. We have all these guys coming back (minus Victorino and Blanton who both suck) and will probably be looking to spend a little more money to fill out the rotation better (injuries will happen). I hope we also find a way to bring back League and Choate but I think they are due for decent sized paydays. We don't really need Choate with Elbert being healthy and Paco Rodriguez showing why he was worthy of a 2nd round draft pick (coming up the same year you were drafted and dominating shows the kid has skills).

MDK Titan
09-29-2012, 07:13 PM
This Oakland team is just..........wow! 4 rookie starters and leads the league in strikeouts yet could still win the division

ZachLV27
09-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Dodgers are now 2 games out with 4 to play. At least they are making this interesting.

Sect309Fan
09-30-2012, 09:19 AM
At this point, the Nats have clinched a least a tie for the division. There is no strong benefit for the Braves to win out now. They certainly don't want to fly to Washington for a tiebreaker game on Thursday.

I want the Cardinals to make it. I think they are a bit weaker than the Dodgers, and there is some revenge factor for the Braves. What sucks is that my family and I are driving through Atlanta Friday night on our way to Florida, and I don't have tickets. We be going right by the stadium, possibly when the game just gets started. Oh well...

MDK Titan
09-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Oakland controls their own destiny! A sweep of the Rangers = Division Title

Sect309Fan
10-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Kimbrel of the Braves struck out 3 of the 4 batters he faced today. He ended the season striking out 116 of the 121 batters he faced, 1 over half. No other pitcher with 22 innings or more pitched had ever done that.

Cards-Braves Friday for the Wild Card, though the time won't be set the AL Wild Card is known.

MDK Titan
10-03-2012, 05:58 PM
After trailing the first place Rangers for 176 days and being down by as many as 13 games, the Oakland A's have won the AL West on the 162nd game of the season! I'm not sure anyone wants to play this team right now. This is what I call house moneyball!

Titan723
10-04-2012, 07:09 AM
So, will Boston wait until at least noon to fire Valentine today?

Jones31
10-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Should have been done yesterday after throwing his staff under the bus.

Jones31
10-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Almost.

BREAKING: Bobby Valentine will not return as #RedSox Manager in 2013. See ya sh!thead

zonian
10-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Almost.

BREAKING: Bobby Valentine will not return as #RedSox Manager in 2013. See ya sh!thead

Charlie, I'm pretty sure the filter allows for the full spelling of !!i!!!!!.

Sect309Fan
10-12-2012, 11:11 AM
I have to admit that the playoffs have pretty exciting. I am hoping heavily for a Baltimore-Washington WS now, with the Giants as my backup. The Cards have replaced the Yankees as my most hated team. I drove by Turner Field Friday night as the staff were cleaning up the field after the fans' reaction to the terrible infield fly rule call. That was a painful night.

Titan723
10-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Go American League!

Jones31
10-12-2012, 03:40 PM
BAL/WSH world series.... zzzzz, Ratings would suck.

SF/NY would be good.

Sect309Fan
10-12-2012, 07:47 PM
BAL/WSH world series.... zzzzz, Ratings would suck.

SF/NY would be good.

Ratings are going to suck no matter who plays. World Series is great for the cities involved, but not much else. I just love seeing new teams play.

All I know right now is that I will be cheering against the Yankees-Tigers winner. I just hope the Nats pull through tonight, or I might have nothing to cheer for in the World Series.

Jones31
10-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Not a bad start for the Nats.

Jones31
10-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Then that happens.... That's a choke the Red Sox would be proud of.

MDK Titan
10-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Very proud of the A's and what they did this season, probably the best overachieving from a team I've seen. Not mad at all that they were bounced 6-0 at home in Game 5. But with that said I've got no one else to root or, not going to be thrilled with any of the teams winning it, I was also for the Nats.