PDA

View Full Version : The Official MMA Thread

TRUTitan
05-17-2009, 07:44 AM
In honor of UFC 98 coming in like 6 days, I have established the titanstailgate first official MMA thread. This is for those of you out there who once and maybe twice a month ditch the kids with a relative/ friend and take the spouse to a Hooters, BWs or any other sportsbar to watch grown men beat the tar out of each other. Man I love America:cry

TRUTitan
05-17-2009, 07:47 AM
I was wondering what happened to Lashley.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Pro-wrestler-Lashley-destroys-Cook-in-24-seconds?urn=mma,163814

It is only a matter of time before he is in the UFC.:thumbsup

TRUTitan
05-24-2009, 02:26 AM
UFC 98 results.

Rashad Evans Vs. Lyoto Machida. I am still in shock how quick Machida is....:jawdrop
He totally destroyed Evans. It wasn't even that great of a fight. Evans was too scared to even step up to the Dragon. One big flurry in the 2nd round and Evans went to sleep. So disappointed. Machida is one of the most elusive athletes ever to compete in the UFC, but I don't know how he will fair against my boy Rampage when he comes back after this injury.

Matt Hughes VS. Matt Serra. Even though Serra was the heavy favorite Matt Hughs came in and took the fight to the ground. An Ugly fight that nearly put me to sleep. Hughs kept Serra on the ground and constantly defending himself through most of the three rounds and won by descision.

Drew McFedries VS. Xavier Foupa-Pokam. LOL the only action you saw out of Foupa-Pokam was his dancing down to the ring. McFedries "The Massacre" did just that.... I didn't think I even saw Foupa-Pokam throw a punch in this thirty second KO. :lmao

Livid13
05-24-2009, 08:49 AM
WE used to sponsor a fighter in the Texas based, XFC, Nick "The Ghost" Gonzalez. What these guys put themselves through during training, not to mention the fight itself, is nothing short of amazing....

TRUTitan
05-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Yea ya see what they do on The Ultimate Fighter and realize that is but a small fraction of all the training that they do. MF Magazine did a couple of articles about some of the training regiment of some of these factions..... Only one word came to mind when I read some these.....INTENSE

Conan Oh Brian
05-28-2009, 02:57 PM
TUF 10 announced with Rampage Jackson and Rashad Evans coaching heavyweights.

Nintova
05-28-2009, 03:04 PM
The fight was fantastic. The Dragon is going to be a tough nut to crack for his competition. He is a very crafty fighter. His same side attacks are wicked ( i.e. Right strike, right kick ) and his balance as a fighter is fairly unmatched. I would not be surprised to hear him in the pound for pound discussions several years down the road.

TRUTitan
05-29-2009, 04:10 AM
TUF 10 announced with Rampage Jackson and Rashad Evans coaching heavyweights.

Yea just read that. Apparently Rampage wants to beat the tar out of Evans for talking out that smack in the ring after Quinton's match with Jardine. That fight won't happen until late December. Machida will have a match as early as September, but the opponate is not known.

Nintova
06-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Kimbo Slice is going to be on season 10 as a potential contestant.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/06/02/kimbo.ufc/index.html

don28
06-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm not much of a fan of MMA (former boxer), but I have to admit that I pay attention more than I used to do. I am looking forward to the Mike Brown-Uriah Faber rematch on Versus this Sunday. Even my wife thinks it will be interesting, and she doesn't particularly care for any of the fighting arts.

Livid13
06-02-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm not much of a fan of MMA (former boxer), but I have to admit that I pay attention more than I used to do. I am looking forward to the Mike Brown-Uriah Faber rematch on Versus this Sunday. Even my wife thinks it will be interesting, and she doesn't particularly care for any of the fighting arts.

28, I'm curious as to your opinion of boxing as a professional/popular sport, these days. I've never boxed, so your point of view would interest me. Do you see boxing (professional) as a dying sport ?

FearKVB93
06-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Kimbo Slice is going to be on season 10 as a potential contestant.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/06/02/kimbo.ufc/index.html

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I think it's been proven he can't beat someone who isn't fighting him in boatyards

don28
06-02-2009, 11:13 PM
28, I'm curious as to your opinion of boxing as a professional/popular sport, these days. I've never boxed, so your point of view would interest me. Do you see boxing (professional) as a dying sport ?

Boxing has definitely been in a low cycle for quite some time. With multiple sanctioning bodies and champions per division, no one knows who the true champion is of any weight class. Add in crooked promoters who have a stake in both competing fighters for titles, and it is not surprising that the sport is on life support once again.

One governing body, with one champion per division, who would be mandated to defend his title at least twice a year, is sorely needed to bring a small measure of respectability back to the "sweet science."

TRUTitan
06-03-2009, 12:49 AM
One governing body, with one champion per division, who would be mandated to defend his title at least twice a year, is sorely needed to bring a small measure of respectability back to the "sweet science."

I have loved boxing for a long time, but I think it has become to corrupt to redeem. The thing I love about the MMA is that who wants to take a dive in the Octagon. If you fall down, your opponent will be on top of you beating your face in anyways. And alot of the guys have too much pride to take a fall. I do love still watching amature boxing matches and that show "The Contender", at least those guys still fight with a purpose.

Nintova
06-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I have to agree Don. I'm a long time Boxing fan and have dabbled in the sport but nothing serious, when I was a kid.
There are far too many belts. Too much watering of talent. "Champions" who are more concerned with keeping their belt to get payed than fighting the best talent out there. It's just sad.
I miss the early 70's - late 80's of boxing. Haggler - Hearns still stands as the greatest boxing display I have personally seen. I loved Shavers upper-cut against Ellis or his 1 round dismantling of Ken Norton. That was when they wanted to be "The Man". To be that, you had to prove it against the best out there.

To me MMA is now that sport. I like that almost every MMA person has a loss, and it isn't seen as a negative. It means they are testing their mettle against the best. My biggest concern is that White eventually harms the sport because he is convinced he is the sport.

don28
06-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I have to agree Don. I'm a long time Boxing fan and have dabbled in the sport but nothing serious, when I was a kid.
There are far too many belts. Too much watering of talent. "Champions" who are more concerned with keeping their belt to get payed than fighting the best talent out there. It's just sad.
I miss the early 70's - late 80's of boxing. Haggler - Hearns still stands as the greatest boxing display I have personally seen. I loved Shavers upper-cut against Ellis or his 1 round dismantling of Ken Norton. That was when they wanted to be "The Man". To be that, you had to prove it against the best out there.

To me MMA is now that sport. I like that almost every MMA person has a loss, and it isn't seen as a negative. It means they are testing their mettle against the best. My biggest concern is that White eventually harms the sport because he is convinced he is the sport.

This is true. MMA doesn't have managers maneuvering their fighters away from anything resembling a challenge or possible loss. Plus the "bad decisions" boxing seems to render far too often don't make a home in MMA matches.

don28
06-08-2009, 06:28 PM
I thought it was a good match last night between Mike Brown and Uriah Faber. Brown just has a style that is difficult for Faber to adapt and succeed against. Add in a broken hand and it was too much to ask.

I thought both fighters gave it their all, and have proven to be top notch professionals who will not be easily beaten. Faber will be back, no doubt about it. Maybe a move up in weight class to tackle some new challenges.

Jones31
06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Faber scats around way too much for my liking.

TitansFan23
06-08-2009, 07:37 PM
I don’t watch MMA as much as I use to.

For one, I don’t have PPV, so I can’t watch the fights live; I do keep track of what’s going on by checking out Sherdog’s though.

Secondly, I’ve grown tired of the UFC, and I miss Pride.

Also, I really don’t like Dana White. I know he’s had a big impact on the resurgence of MMA, and without him and the Fertitas, who knows where it would be today, but I personally can’t stand him.

He has run some pretty good fighters out of the UFC.

I also don’t agree with him trying to ruin every promotion that comes along. Anytime a rival promotion put on a card, Dana would run a program opposite that on Spike to attempt to take away viewers, and it’s no secret he’s gone out of his way to kill any promotion that offers even an ounce of competition to his brand. How’s that growing MMA? It’s not; it’s simply growing the UFC.

He touts his fighters at the world’s best, all the while trying to discredit fighters like Fedor, who would run roughshod over every fighter he has, and he knows it.

He ran Matt Lindland off, and Matt was probably one of the best MW fighters the UFC had; I still believe Matt could beat Anderson Silva. Dana lets his emotions drive him and his mouth is a detriment to the validity of the sport.

I've been following MMA since the inception of the UFC, but lately, it's just not that appealing.

I know they're friends, but I think The Spider and The Dragon need to do battle.

Dana needs to make that fight happen...

FearKVB93
06-09-2009, 11:46 PM
I can't stand Anderson Silva and his antics. He seems like he'd rather run around and try to make his opponent look like an idiot than fight. I know he's one of the best but he knows it also and that is what makes him such an arrogant punk. I hope he gets dominated in his next fight. Dana himself said that he was disgusted by Silva's actions.