PDA

View Full Version : Vandy baseball doing terrifc

Sect309Fan
05-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Vandy lost a lot of great talent to the draft after making their first College World Series berth last season. It definitely showed early on this year, as they started 1-7 and were 7-15 at one point. A lot of people were worried when they started 4-8 in the SEC, since only the top 10 team make it to the SEC tourney.

But after that point, they caught on fire. Vandy won 5 of the next 6 series, including against ranked teams LSU, Kentucky, and Ole Miss. They finished the regular season at 29-25 (16-14 SEC), earning the fifth seed in the SEC tourney.

So far in the SEC tourney, they have won 3 in a row, including beating powerhouses South Carolina and Florida. They had lost to Florida 7 times in a row. Now they get today off and prepare for the winner of South Carolina-Florida in the semis. Due to the new SEC format, the semis are single elimination.

I am just really impressed with how this team turned their season around. They should be a #2 seed in whatever regional they get assigned.

Sect309Fan
05-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Vandy played Florida today in the semis to see who would play Mississippi State in the championship.

Vandy had an early 3-0 lead, but Florida eventually took a 4-3 lead, and had that going in the top of the ninth (Vandy turned an tag-out - throw to first double play with the bases loaded to end the 8th).

A leadoff double helped get the inning started, and he was bunted over to third for the first out. After a hit batter to put men on the corners, Vandy had another perfect suicide squeeze to tie the game (and he was safe at first). A base hit gave Vandy a one-run lead, and then it got crazy.

Vandy did a double steal, but the guy at second was called out (probably incorrectly). After that, it was all walks and steals until the bases were loaded. Then Vandy pulled off perhaps the rarest play in baseball...the triple steal. What was cool was that the broadcast had a camera view of each player on base, and you just saw the guys at second and third take off (the guy at first took off before the play ended). And it was an easy steal of home.

Vandy had one more base hit to cap off the 5 run inning. Thankfully, they scored so much, because Florida rallied themselves. After getting two out, they just wouldn't stop getting hits. After scoring 2 and loading the bases, I was extremely nervous. One more hit would likely tie the game, and a big hit would end the game. Thankfully, Florida popped up in right, and the game was over.

This is one of the rare Memorial Day weekends I am not on vacation somewhere, so I am taking the kids with me to Birmingham tomorrow to watch the finals. This is also where my wife and I spent our first year of our marriage (and I got to see Michael Jordan play at this park when I was down there).

Go Vandy! :thumbsup

Sect309Fan
05-29-2012, 09:09 AM
While Vandy lost yet another SEC Championship, it still was a lot of fun going to the game. I was surrounded by State fans and their cowbells, but they were all really friendly.

Vandy got a favorable draw in the NCAA tourney, going a short distance to Raleigh to play in NC State's regional. The only thing I don't like is that they likely play #1 seed Florida if they win the regional. No other SEC teams were paired up like this.

Austin Peay has to travel all the way to Oregon to play, but apparently the coaches are pretty happy with that. Belmont goes to the LSU regional as the #3 seed.