+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2010

Some interesting stuff in there. My opinion is the SEC needs to move quickly or get left out in the cold. Even as an SEC fan I can't see the SEC competing long-term with so-called "super conferences" of 16 teams. These new conferences can demand big money on TV contracts. I also believe national recruiting would take a hit. Recruiting is about prestige and things could turn very quickly for the SEC if they take too much of a "wait and see" attitude. Voters in the polls tend to give the benefit of the doubt to their own conferences and regional powers. It's not supposed to be that way but it is. Even little things like the Heisman would be effected. In a dream world the SEC lands Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech and GA Tech.

I don't see that happening though. Texas seems tied at the hip to the other state schools and the SEC isn't going to accept A&M, Baylor, and Tech. The Sooners have the same problem with OSU attached to their hip. However, OSU may be attractive enough that the SEC would want them.

Virginia Tech seems like a natural to many people but they have the same issue with Virginia. The Cavs stuck their necks out to get Tech into the ACC. State politics would probably prevent that from happening. GA Tech is attractive right now but how much so for the long haul? They're a mess financially. Their stadium is tiny by just about any standards.

After giving it some thought I just don't see the SEC raiding the ACC. They already have the state of Florida locked up. Why do they need Miami or FSU? Both programs have struggled. Florida would probably throw a fit about bringing them into the SEC as they leverage being the state's only SEC school while recruiting in-state. As I said, GA Tech has financial and stadium issues. Va Tech has political issues to overcome. Clemson may be an attractive option but would pose much the same issue as in Florida.

If anything I see the SEC making some kind of offer to Texas and A&M. That may be a workable scenario that would satisfy state politics and still leave room for Oklahoma and OSU. This would expand the league into markets they currently don't have a stake in already. Texas and Oklahoma, especially run their programs like SEC programs already. They have tradition, built-in regional rivalry potential. Their region and their fans have much more in common with SEC fans than PAC-10 west coast institutions. I've already seen some boards where PAC 10 fans are making fun of them. (Let's see how that goes if they do join your conference. I have a feeling USC's dominance is over if some of the better Big 12 teams do jump ship to their conference).

2. The following user likes this post:

PBV (06-11-2010)

I think Texas should just brave the storm and keep the Big 12 intact.

Nebraska and Colorado are gone, but they could bring in BSU and add another team such as TCU.

I just can't see Texas and the West Coast teams in the same conference.
    It's Always Something...

for you twitter peeps Derek Dooley is now on twitter!!

http://twitter.com/DerekDooley

yippee!!!

the sec is just fine the way it is. i mean in my lifetime....92 bama, 96 Fla, 98 UT, 2003 LSU, 2007 LSU, 2008 Fla, 2009 Bama
    PAC 10..USC
    Big 10 Ohio State, Michigan
    Big East LOL
    ACC Fla State, Miami (i guess they should go in the big east but that would ruin my LOL)
    Big 12 tex, OU, and i believe colorado shared one with GT although i cant remember if it was CU or Washington?

Point is every team can join a unified conference for all i care, we live in our own world in the SEC and then kick the "#2 team's" ass....although the number 2 team often resides in the SEC as well
    Be attending all 10 titans home games this year, that is NOT including the preseason http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBDC...ayer_embedded#!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide14TOMB View Post
    the sec is just fine the way it is. i mean in my lifetime....92 bama, 96 Fla, 98 UT, 2003 LSU, 2007 LSU, 2008 Fla, 2009 Bama
    PAC 10..USC
    Big 10 Ohio State, Michigan
    Big East LOL
    ACC Fla State, Miami (i guess they should go in the big east but that would ruin my LOL)
    Big 12 tex, OU, and i believe colorado shared one with GT although i cant remember if it was CU or Washington?

Point is every team can join a unified conference for all i care, we live in our own world in the SEC and then kick the "#2 team's" ass....although the number 2 team often resides in the SEC as well
    whoops forgot the best team ever 95 nebraska + they split with michigan in 97
    Be attending all 10 titans home games this year, that is NOT including the preseason http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBDC...ayer_embedded#!

i really love what i've seen so far outta Dooley

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/...h/?partner=RSS

8. The following user likes this post:

Comar (06-24-2010)

I thought the big 10 had more revenue distributed than the SEC by like 3 million or so each school. That article made it sound like the SEC is by far the #1 conference in sharing revenue and that it wasn't even close
    **** **** **** ADMIN - PLEASE DELETE ACCOUNT **** **** ****

I didn't read it that way but he is clearly trying to calm the fan base that is sorta freaking out over the current state of recruiting and the uncertainty. Ticket sales are way down.

i really love what i've seen so far outta Dooley
    I AM STILL the reigning national champion on this board!!!

i can NOT wait to hit Bryant Denny and the Jack Daniels....and then hit the road with the Tide when the titans play away, also with the Jack Daniels. So many special memories are made during the FALL!! of course the ones from last year i will never forget!!

You?

14. 2 Users Liked This Post

TitansGiantsBears (07-04-2010), TTP77 (06-30-2010)

Hey the Vols signed an AWESOME punter today!!!

From Chris Low's blog...

Tennessee had made quarterback Justin Worley of Rock Hill, S.C., one of its top priorities for the 2011 signing class, and the Vols got their man Friday.

Worley, who's thrown for more than 90 touchdowns his last two seasons at Northwestern High School, said he plans to sign with Tennessee. Earlier, he had narrowed his choices to LSU, Notre Dame and Tennessee. He recently visited Notre Dame and attended Tennessee's camp last month.

The 6-4, 195-pound Worley was rated as the country's No. 22 quarterback prospect by ESPN. He's the sixth commitment for the Vols in their 2011 class.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...ack-commitment

17. The following user likes this post:

Comar (07-06-2010)

Cool Tennessee Vols get football transfer from USC

Tennessee Vols get football transfer from USC

Malik Jackson of Southern California says he will transfer to Tennessee and will be eligible for the 2010 season.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nsfer+from+USC

19. 2 Users Liked This Post

Comar (07-06-2010), TitansGiantsBears (07-07-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by TTP77 View Post
    Tennessee Vols get football transfer from USC

Malik Jackson of Southern California says he will transfer to Tennessee and will be eligible for the 2010 season.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nsfer+from+USC
    How great would it be to get a butt-load of Kiffin's talent AND watch him fall flat on his face?

21. 2 Users Liked This Post

Comar (07-07-2010), TTP77 (07-07-2010)

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...e-joseph-addai

Joseph Addai, Colts running back

“In college I had three good running back coaches and I got different things from them. But I’d say Derek Dooley, who’s now at Tennessee was the one who sticks out most.

23. The following user likes this post:

TitansGiantsBears (07-08-2010)

are you peeps hearing about the Vols who got into a bar fight??

uggg!!!

SMH @ the bar owner who said the VOLS got a VIP pass.

NCAA infractions here we come.

These guys will never learn.

Also, Janzen's name was in the mix again.

I hope Dooley kicks them all off the team.
    It's Always Something...

27. The following user likes this post:

TitansGiantsBears (07-09-2010)

Yea i just peeped that bar owner and IDK that she's telling the complete truth here. and that's all i better say.

I think Dooley has to take drastic steps though. What a bunch of dumb-asses...

29. The following user likes this post:

TitansGiantsBears (07-09-2010)

+ Reply to Thread