+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dillusional Longhorn/VY Fan

Default Dillusional Longhorn/VY Fan

I just read this post on a Texas Longhorn's board as a reply to someone saying the Texans taking Mario (passing on Bush and VY) looks genius 3 years later.

They say hindsight is 20/20, but some people won't event open their eyes a few years down the road.

Not picking Mario gets the Texans two trips to the playoffs. Instead they've never been and no one is giving them a free ticket this year.

It was one of the biggest goof up and PR nightmares in NFL draft history at the time and it was cemented when on the field the next two years when Vince gave them the losses that kept them out of the playoffs.
    So VY single handedly has kept the Texans out of the playoffs for 2 years? I guess the Titans defense, the fact that the Texans lost to several other teams during those seasons because they were just not that good had nothing to do with it.

I wonder what he thinks kept the Texans out of the playoffs last season? Maybe it was VY's magic stare from the bench? Maybe the Texans were unknowingly given VY saugage before each game causing them to be sluggish on the field?

BTW, what Titans board are all the VY worshippers posting to these days? I don't see any over here.

Well, Vince does have an impressive record of 10-2 or something against the Texans.

In reality, nobody knows how Vince would have fared in Houston. Different offense, different city (hometown), different atmostphere. It could've worked out for the better, he could've very well taken them to the playoffs. But nobody knows that know do they.

Some Longhorns will defend Vince to a fault because of what he did at Texas. They'll follow whatever NFL team he (or any other Longhorn) is on, and loathe the teams that dismiss him as an NFL QB. Other Horns (like myself) realize that Vince is not in Austin anymore, and needs to get his **** together if he wants to be "VY" in the NFL. It's not the Titans' fault (though it is a common theory) that Vince hasn't panned out thus far. Some of that may be due to Chow or whatever you want to call it, but the majority of that falls on Vince's shoulders.

Fact of the matter is, with the picks as they were, the Texans came out of it better than either of the two other teams (as far as that individual player's performance is concered).

BTW - The VY worshippers are back to being Longhorn/non-Titans fans for now. They'll come back when Vince does.

3. 4 Users Liked This Post

barnybyrd (04-27-2009), Bobcat (04-28-2009), TTP77 (04-27-2009), Yvette (04-27-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
    I just read this post on a Texas Longhorn's board as a reply to someone saying the Texans taking Mario (passing on Bush and VY) looks genius 3 years later.

So VY single handedly has kept the Texans out of the playoffs for 2 years? I guess the Titans defense, the fact that the Texans lost to several other teams during those seasons because they were just not that good had nothing to do with it.

I wonder what he thinks kept the Texans out of the playoffs last season? Maybe it was VY's magic stare from the bench? Maybe the Texans were unknowingly given VY saugage before each game causing them to be sluggish on the field?

BTW, what Titans board are all the VY worshippers posting to these days? I don't see any over here.
    hater

Zephyr, you gonna become a Bears fan this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
    Zephyr, you gonna become a Bears fan this year?
    you forgot to post the link to their message board

7. 2 Users Liked This Post

TTP77 (04-27-2009), Yvette (04-27-2009)

LOL. this is an amusing thread.

There are plenty of us who still really like Young.

I hope his return is very spectacular and triumphant, but will settle for him being a good Titans QB that learns to deal like Mcnair and Collins (also O'Donnell and even Volek, to an extent.)

9. 3 Users Liked This Post

JimOkc (04-27-2009), RohitTheNair (04-27-2009), Sect309Fan (04-27-2009)

Hi, my name is TTP77 and I am a delusional fan.

11. 2 Users Liked This Post

JimOkc (04-27-2009), RohitTheNair (04-27-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
    LOL. this is an amusing thread.

There are plenty of us who still really like Young.

I hope his return is very spectacular and triumphant, but will settle for him being a good Titans QB that learns to deal like Mcnair and Collins (also O'Donnell and even Volek, to an extent.)
    I'd like to see his return too. But it won't happen here. That ship has sailed. This is still the wrong fit for VY. It's no better a fit because they actually are getting better pass-catching talent. If anything, that's making it a worse fit.

To be the Fisherball QB, you gotta stay in the pocket, work your progressions, do your checkdowns, take the ball from under center. This is not, and will never be Vince's game.

I still think Vince can be decent elsewhere - a fresh city, a coach who is not married to a playstyle that is the 180 degreee antithesis of VY football.

But here?

Vince is done. 100%, completely and totally, finished.
    “Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up.”

Actually I hope you guys cut him and he ends up playing (and starting) for the Redskins. That would be awesome considering most VY fans around here are also Cowboys fans. I would love to see who they are rooting for on Sundays with that scenario.

14. 3 Users Liked This Post

Big Time (04-27-2009), TitansGiantsBears (04-29-2009), Yvette (04-27-2009)

I always thought Fisherball was being able to run the option on most running plays, which is why we need a good scrambler, but also being able to hit the medium and deep balls about 30% of the time, especially on 3rd downs. That's my admittedly amateur definition of it anyway.

VY has a strong arm and can throw far and now has the people who can adjust and reach up and get it to convert on the few occasions when they can't run it effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Titans and Turtles View Post
    I'd like to see his return too. But it won't happen here. That ship has sailed. This is still the wrong fit for VY. It's no better a fit because they actually are getting better pass-catching talent. If anything, that's making it a worse fit.

To be the Fisherball QB, you gotta stay in the pocket, work your progressions, do your checkdowns, take the ball from under center. This is not, and will never be Vince's game.

I still think Vince can be decent elsewhere - a fresh city, a coach who is not married to a playstyle that is the 180 degreee antithesis of VY football.

But here?

Vince is done. 100%, completely and totally, finished.
    I agree. Vince thought just showing up and "being Vince" was all it would take to be successful in the NFL. Unfortunately for him he was made to believe that from all of his worshippers here. Sure, it kind of worked for 1 season but it didn't take NFL teams long to figure him out. When they did and you guys started booing him he couldn't handle it because he was so used to being worshipped. So things got bad and he quit on Fisher, his teammates, and you fans. Pouting and refusing to go back in is probably one of the worst ways to quit outside of just walking out of the stadium. Just quitting is the biggest no-no in sports that I can think of.

Fisher (while he can never admit it publically) doesn't want him there and can you blame him? Hopefully for your sakes Bud has had his fun with the city of Houston and will let Fisher make the calls from now on with this one.

:glare Please do not invoke'em...

I'm good like it is.
    Tell me where do I belong, In a sick society (Ozzy's "You're No Different" lyrics excerpt

Fisher (while he can never admit it publically) doesn't want him there and can you blame him?
    Yeah, I always got that impression as well. It would seem that the Fish convinced Bud to at least try another way with KC.

It's hard to disagree with the Fish about anything football these days.

Actually I hope you guys cut him and he ends up playing (and starting) for the Redskins. That would be awesome considering most VY fans around here are also Cowboys fans. I would love to see who they are rooting for on Sundays with that scenario.
    That scenario is pretty hilarious.

HookemHorns and Shadowboxin' are two of the rare kind of Longhorn fan. You actually see Vince for what he is, not what he did in college. Thank you for your unbiased slant; I thought that there were no Longhorn fans who didn't wear burnt orange glasses when it came to Vince Young.

That said, Vince won't be better anywhere else unless he straightens his head out. It's not about offensive systems, it's about football fundamentals. Reading coverage, checking down, making short throws, medium throws, and long throws accurately on a consistent basis are things that Vince should have made vast improvements on by now.

Then there is the psychological side. When push came to shove, he came out looking like a front runner. He was a force when it was all going his way, but he folded like a lawn chair when teams had an answer for his limited NFL game. Rarely do people overcome things like this. We'll all see what Vince Young does this upcoming season.

21. The following user likes this post:

barnybyrd (04-27-2009)

Have you noticed that without the homerism there also isn't the 'haterism'?

I don't completely agree that Vince couldn't work here. Actually with better receivers, it is a better fit. He isn't (or wasn't, who knows what he's been up to these last few months?) a thread the ball passer so he needs people who can win the ball for him. Also, he could fit into a Fisherball system IF he did his homework. Fisherball requires impeccable execution, that is why you have people like Hawkins on the sideline all season. To execute you need reps., but you also need the kind of smarts you get from perfecting skills and watching tape. I don't buy into the 'vince is too dumb' argument. From what we've heard, Vince has been too lazy and lacks self-discipline.

23. 2 Users Liked This Post

Big Time (04-27-2009), TTP77 (04-27-2009)

IDK if Vince will ever have another chance here. My gut feeling is the answer is no. But, if he does then drafting Kenny Britt was the best thing the Titans could have done since he knows how to catch passes that are not that well thrown (Mike Teel anyone?).

I do think Vince went through a personal crisis of sorts after his first year that affected his play. It remains to be seen if he has recovered from whatever issues or issues those were. But, I'm afraid the damage is done and his time here is limited.

I'm really not trying to start another VY debate...

Part of me sort of looks forward to a minor injury to KC during the regular season.

Not that I want KC to be hurt, I'm a big fan of his as well; but for VY to have that moment, that one real chance, seems really important.

I don't see them getting rid of VY without giving him one last chance to prove himself.

Some of us at the draft day gathering said the HOF game would be a good place to see how VY is doing.

28. The following user likes this post:

titansikou (04-27-2009)

+ Reply to Thread