+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: stallworth gets 30 days in jail

Sorry didn't mean to make it about me, and thank you for the kind words.

For what it's worth I actually know Dantes family, in as much as local neighbors know each other ( they still live here in Sacramento, where Dante went to High School ) His mother, in particular, is a nice lady. They lived 3 streets from me ( oddly enough the house I lived in then was where I was when I got the call about my brother. )

I guess I don't want to come off sounding vindictive, I hold him no ill will, but the punishment must fit the crime. And, more importantly the laws must hold the same weight for ALL individuals. I fail to see how we as a country can hope to survive another 200 years with the current morals. I see us going further and further from the ideals that we used to hold so dear .. when it was what we practiced, not just what we preached.

crap, I'm doing it again.

meh

2. The following user likes this post:

Mike McFan (06-17-2009)

proves my fact all along that people will make a bigger deal out of dogs dying compared to an actual human. ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyd24 View Post
    proves my fact all along that people will make a bigger deal out of dogs dying compared to an actual human. ridiculous
    Dogs dying had little to do with Michael Vick's jail time. He was in jail for so long for running a criminal enterprise, which got him in trouble with federal law.

Stallworth did not intentionally kill that man. It was an unfortunate, tragic, and likely avoidable accident, but still an accidnet.

Intent has a whole lot to do with jail time. If you intent to kill someone, you will get a lot of jail time. If you intend to run an illegal business, you will get a lot of jail time. But if you accidently do something, and you haven't accidently done the same thing in the past, and you own up to it, you probably won't be punished too severely (at least in terms of jail).
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

5. 2 Users Liked This Post

kytitansfan1 (06-17-2009), Yvette (06-17-2009)

A single incident with no history or pattern is easier for me to forgive.

7. 2 Users Liked This Post

kytitansfan1 (06-17-2009), Sect309Fan (06-17-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Sect309Fan View Post
    Dogs dying had little to do with Michael Vick's jail time. He was in jail for so long for running a criminal enterprise, which got him in trouble with federal law.

Stallworth did not intentionally kill that man. It was an unfortunate, tragic, and likely avoidable accident, but still an accidnet.

Intent has a whole lot to do with jail time. If you intent to kill someone, you will get a lot of jail time. If you intend to run an illegal business, you will get a lot of jail time. But if you accidently do something, and you haven't accidently done the same thing in the past, and you own up to it, you probably won't be punished too severely (at least in terms of jail).
    i understand that it was manslaughter, and obviously stallworth did not go out that night planning to kill someone. but you must also understand that when you get behind the wheel intoxicated, you dont care about what you might do to others.

what i am saying though is the uprise by the general public over the death of dogs was just retarded and outragous when that is in fact a culture that some of us grew up in. vick owned the dogs and that does not give him the right to kill them but come on, this man resulted in the death of another man. that effects his family and all of those who surrounded him. dont tell me he doesnt deserve at least five years. he made a horrible judgement call and should pay the price.

won't others now expect similar outcomes if they are drinking and driving? It just doesnt seem like the thought of jailtime would be a detterent if people are able to get out with 30 days in jail. The other stuff like probation is very trivial. Also, cant he get a drivers license in any other state? The suspended for life thing only applies to his Florida DL correct?

Quote Originally Posted by wari0 View Post
    won't others now expect similar outcomes if they are drinking and driving? It just doesnt seem like the thought of jailtime would be a detterent if people are able to get out with 30 days in jail. The other stuff like probation is very trivial. Also, cant he get a drivers license in any other state? The suspended for life thing only applies to his Florida DL correct?
    i guess if i ever want to kill someone, just get drunk and wait for them to cross the road. woops, it was an accident, this next month is going to be realll tough

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyd24 View Post
    what i am saying though is the uprise by the general public over the death of dogs was just retarded and outragous when that is in fact a culture that some of us grew up in.
    No disrespected intended at all, but...

No, it's not "retarded."

Torture and civil rights abuses have been commonplace in China. If you grew up in that culture, does it make that kind of behavior acceptable? It certainly does not. Saying, "this is how I was raised" does not make it right, or less of an offense.

I only make the comparison because I strongly believe that Vick got everything he deserved. He had dogs killed, he was the money behind an illegal and cross-state gambling operation, and on top of all that he lied about everything when the story first came out.

Do I think Stallworth should have gotten more than 30 days? Absolutely. Do I think this illustrates that there are a lot of things wrong with the justice system? Without a doubt. On those points I fully agree with you.

But I believe that Mike Vick needs to worry a lot more about his heart and his soul than Donte Stallworth. What he did, he did willingly, knowingly, and with every intent of having another living thing suffer and die.

Again, all due respect. Can't stress that enough, since this is a topic that's much, much heavier than football.

12. 3 Users Liked This Post

MauiTitan (06-18-2009), Yvette (06-17-2009), ZachLV27 (06-17-2009)

won't others now expect similar outcomes if they are drinking and driving..... Also, cant he get a drivers license in any other state?The suspended for life thing only applies to his Florida DL correct?
    People can expect whatever they want but hopefully they realize sentencing guidelines are exactly that. A similar set of circumstances but with different people involved will probably bring a different result.

You can't be suspended or revoked when applying for a license in another state.

I am wondering why everyone is thinking that the general public is treated any different than Stallworth. I hear reports all the time of people getting multiple DUIs. It doesnt take superstar athlete money to get a decent lawyer and get your slap on the wrist for justice.
    A good dog is not easily ruined

15. 3 Users Liked This Post

Sect309Fan (06-17-2009), TTP77 (06-18-2009), Yvette (06-17-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by 315 View Post
    I am wondering why everyone is thinking that the general public is treated any different than Stallworth. I hear reports all the time of people getting multiple DUIs. It doesnt take superstar athlete money to get a decent lawyer and get your slap on the wrist for justice.
    A DUI is quite different from DUI manslaughter though. In 95% of the cases I guarantee you the general public would be treated differently than Stallworth was here. I don't know exactly how much of that really has to do with who he is though. A majority of the time you aren't going to find a victims family as receptive to a deal like this (Stallworth's money quite possibly had a lot to do with that) and if they weren't on board there is no way the D.A.'s office would have agreed to a deal like this so early on.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachLV27 View Post
    A DUI is quite different from DUI manslaughter though. In 95% of the cases I guarantee you the general public would be treated differently than Stallworth was here. .

Not the general public that would be able to pay off the family.... and I was talking MULTIPLE DUIs
    A good dog is not easily ruined

paris hilton had multiple DUIs and she got 45 days in jail

paris hilton had multiple DUIs and she got 45 days in jail
    yea but wasnt her jail time almost like a job?

she would go in at like 10 am leave at like 6 pm and just did that over & over again?

but dui's become different when you kill someone.
    if donte had the time to honk his horn and flash his lights he had time to brake and
    try and avoid the man.

not happy at all that we just got another leonard little but i also dont expect
    stallworth will be able to abide by the terms of the house arrest ect..

Quote Originally Posted by Sect309Fan View Post
    Tell that to all the people out there who aren't rich and famous that are doing long stretches in a penitentiary for the exact same thing.

He's been suspended indefinitely...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...-indefinitely/

Quote Originally Posted by 315 View Post
    I generally refrain from telling war stories, but I'll tell this one. As a very young associate for a law firm several years ago, I was assigned a case to defend a fine human being who was on his second DUI in the civil case I was defending where he killed a mother of 4, leaving her disabled husband to care for their children, all under the age of 10. Not only did he have ZERO assets but he also had minimal limits insurance. So, for you kids who don't live in Tennessee that means the survivors got $25,000.00. He served 45 days in jail (I did not rep him in the criminal case). I later heard after he got out that he did it again, no insurance this time and fortunately no one was killed but go figure. That my friends is a TRAVESTY.

Isn't Leonard Little still playing?
    I have the right to remain silent, I just don't have the ability.

Leonard Little is still playing and IMO Donte Stallworth is going to pay not only for his own mistake for Tags failure to discipline Little the way he probably should have way back then.

+ Reply to Thread