+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lebron Overrated

Default Lebron Overrated

Thankfully the farce that is the NBA playoffs has come and gone. Congrats to the Warriors for a great series win! The NBA desperately hoped the Cavaliers would win it but in yet another choke job, LeBron bows out. Following the game he stated he wasn't sure if it would have been easier to miss the playoffs than to lose in the championship series. Can you imagine any of the other greats such as Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc, saying such a thing? I can't.

ESPN devoted approximately 50 minutes of their one hour postgame coverage talking about LeBron and his legacy. Really? How about the team that just won the world championship? Maybe throw them a bone and devote some airtime to their achievement? It reminds me of golf coverage when they lead with Tiger finishing 39th yet again and oh yeah... some loser won the event.

During the postgame, the talking heads went on and on about how Lebron carried the team during the series. I heard the comment that if anyone else stepped up the way Lebron did, the Cavs would have won the series. I also heard it said that without James the Cavs would be a last place team in either conference.

So I decided to examine it further. Lebron was 78 of 196 shooting for a whopping .39 percent for the series. His teammates were 118 of 316 or .37 percent. Lebron shot 13 of 42 from three point range and .68 percent from the free throw line. His teammates actually outdid him in both areas - .31 percent and .71 percent. I know there is much more to a game than just shooting the ball but the talking heads seemed fixated on how poorly the rest of the team shot during the series when their was little actual difference. James had several games with great rebounding totals and assists but at the end of the day, I don't think it can be said his teammates were any worse than Lebron himself. He had two games in the series in which he shot .31 percent. He didn't have a single game in the series in which he shot 50 percent.

Sure, he's a freak athletic specimen but I just don't see much heart when I watch him play.
    The Tennessee Titans - good for whatever ails you!

2. The following user likes this post:

DelawareTitans (06-22-2015)

Totally agree, especially on the Tiger points. It's another reason I stopped watching ESPN. Their love affair with everything Tiger, Lebron, and whoever else is tiring.

Mike and Mike is the only thing I will listen to because there is really nothing else on early in the morning. Mike Greenberg's love affair with LeBron is obvious.

Still it seems they are annoyed and have to apologize for covering the Stanley Cup playoffs, which far superior to the NBA playoffs. They spend a couple of minutes discussing the Blackhawks win and advise listeners they will get back to their non-stop NBA coverage in just a minute.

Checked it out this morning and it's non-stop NBA draft coverage already.

4. The following user likes this post:

TitansGiantsBears (06-24-2015)

Back in the old days (pre-ESPN) a player caught the public's attention and became a marketable commodity. These days ESPN and the leagues themselves ram certain players down the public's throat in an effort to convince them of their greatness. To be fair there are some that truly ARE great and have proven it with long careers and championship performances. Unfortunately when they fixate on a player they can do no wrong and the talking heads are willing to overlook any negatives that takes away from the lemon they're selling. For a time Tiger Woods may HAVE been the greatest golfer to ever play the sport but those days are long gone. Why is he more important than say a Jordan Spieth who, you know, actually wins tournaments these days? Immediately after winning the US Open on the heels of his Masters win, one of the talking heads immediately asked how his accomplishment ranks against Tiger. Enough already! Let the guy enjoy his moment in the sun.

When Michael Jordan arrived in the NBA, I couldn't help but watch. Disclaimer - longtime Tar Heel fan but I saw a different Jordan. While so many saw the amazing dunks and the 30 points per game, I saw him turning the ball over often and at key points in the game. I saw him miss rebounds. I saw him kill his team time and again with poor shooting performances. Like Lebron he would end up with 30-40 points but his team may lose by 3-4 points and he's missed more shots than he made to get that point total. If you're shooting 30 percent from the floor and you take 35 shots, you've probably lost the game for your team if it's a close one. The Bulls would make the playoffs and get beat. BUT not once did I ever hear Jordan say it hurt so badly he wished they hadn't made the playoffs. Instead it lit a fire under him. He worked his butt off to handle the ball better. He studied trajectory of missed shots. He worked on his defense until he was the best in the game at it. He eventually did become the best to ever play the game. More importantly, he learned to use and trust his teammates. Oddly enough, though a Tar Heels fan, I never became a Bulls fan nor was Jordan my favorite player but I admired how his defeats made him stronger and strive to get better. I just don't see that with Lebron. He has all the talent in the world and is one of the few with a skill-set similar to Jordan's. With his big body, he could be the best ever. He's like a mini-Shaq with Jordan's athleticism. He just doesn't have the fire and the heart of a champion.
    The Tennessee Titans - good for whatever ails you!

6. The following user likes this post:

TitanPop (06-27-2015)

+ Reply to Thread