+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20
FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Draft?

Quote Originally Posted by TTP77 View Post
    We don't have a second round pick. He's rising fast. If you like him you take him IMO. One thing I admire about the Titans is that they will go after a guy they like if they feel like he'll be gone. Now I'm not talking about crazy Al Davis reaches but picking DMac in the first wouldn't be a terrible reach, if any.
    I wasn't meaning to move out of the 1st round! Just move back a few spots. I think he'll go in between 25-32 and maybe top 5 in the 2nd. I think the Vikings will grab him.

Well obviously it takes a partner. we can't rely on it happening so i generally just ignore trade possibilities when discussing mocking the draft. Whether or not the 16 spot is too high is generally based on mock boards that are not always what the teams do. Each team is different and has a different board so I take it with a grain of salt. There are obvious examples of reaching like say maybe drafting Crompton in the first round. Sure I'll be fine if we move back and draft our guy but you know as well as I do you see fans saying that everywhere. It rarely works out that way lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TTP77 View Post
    Well obviously it takes a partner. we can't rely on it happening so i generally just ignore trade possibilities when discussing mocking the draft. Whether or not the 16 spot is too high is generally based on mock boards that are not always what the teams do. Each team is different and has a different board so I take it with a grain of salt. There are obvious examples of reaching like say maybe drafting Crompton in the first round. Sure I'll be fine if we move back and draft our guy but you know as well as I do you see fans saying that everywhere. It rarely works out that way lol.
    I base it purely off the number of whatever positions in a ranking... Like, My 5-top CB's: 1-Haden, 2-Wilson, 3-Robinson and 4-McCourty! I figure Haden will go in the Top-10 Maybe 2 will go in the 10-20 and 3 or 4 will go 20-32! But yea i know what your saying! Last year i had my sights set on James Laurinaitis and i about threw my TV through the window when we picked Britt! But it worked out better then i thought it would! But usually, at least since VY was drafted the Titans have been picking in the 20's or later! So it's a little easier to predict what a team will do earlier. "Sometimes" lol ';p

4. The following user likes this post:

TTP77 (04-16-2010)

Rutgers cornerback Devin McCourty visited the St. Louis Rams today, according to a source close to the program.

Devin McCourtyAPRutgers cornerback Devin McCourty visited the St. Louis Rams today.

He has previously visited the Cleveland Browns, New York Jets, San Diego Chargers and the Dallas Cowboys.

McCourty has met previously with New York Jets coach Rex Ryan and Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

McCourty has also met with the New England Patriots.

And the Baltimore Ravens sent secondary coach Chuck Pagano and director of college scouting Joe Hortiz to McCourty's Pro Day workout.

McCourty blocked seven kicks at Rutgers and intercepted four passes during his final three seasons.

What separates McCourty from the large pack of talented cornerbacks jockeying for position?

"I think being a complete football player and not just a corner or a nickel," McCourty said during the NFL scouting combine. "Being able to do everything a coach wants on special teams, too."

The 5-foot-10, 193-pounder is known for his cover skills and athleticism.

And he offers another dimension with his work on special teams.

"He might be the best special-teams value in the draft in addition to being a potential starting corner," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "He's a gunner and a jammer, and he's a return guy. I think he could fit in quickly in the nickel package.

"He's a very, very physical defensive back. Most people have him going in the second round, but he could be a legitimate late first-round pick."
    NFP

The Titans' biggest need going into the NFL Draft is undeniable, and draft guru Corey Chavous thinks the best player to fill that need is obvious.

But it's not that simple. No way, not in the draft. Not when there are too many other factors that could mess it all up, like a team in front of the Titans picking that player.

Chavous, the founder of DraftNasty.com, said Georgia Tech defensive end Derrick Morgan is the best fit for the Titans, who have the 16th pick. But in his mock draft of all 32 first-round selections, Chavous has Morgan, an All-American who had 12.5 sacks last season, going to the Seahawks at No. 14.

"I like Morgan for them, I really do,'' Chavous said of the Titans. "He gives them some flexibility. He would be a perfect fit. He's going to be a really good player at a position where they need to go. But what happens if he's not there?

"Then does it become best player available for them? Is there another defensive end you like as well? Is there a player who might fall to them they didn't expect to be there? There are all kinds of scenarios that could play out.''
    http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...62/2196/SPORTS

7. The following user likes this post:

Aaron3322 (04-15-2010)

Also from that same article

Assuming Morgan is off the board before the 16th pick, Chavous has the Titans taking Southern Cal defensive end Everson Griffen. Yet he gave Morgan to the Titans in a http://www.tennessean.com/assets/pdf/DN155668415.PDF">seven-round mock draft he compiled for The Tennessean on Wednesday.

"It depends on what flavor you are looking at defensive end,'' Chavous said. "I'm just not as high on Pierre-Paul as a lot of people are. It depends on how long you are going to wait and let him develop. But if are going to put him in right away, a lot of teams are going to run the football on him. He has tremendous agility, but he is raw athletically. He has to work on his body control. He's more of a project.''

Chavous also has concerns about Pierre-Paul's academic performance and how it might affect his ability to pick up a defensive scheme in the NFL.

Chavous expects the Titans will also fill their cornerback, linebacker and return-game needs in the earlier rounds before filling some holes on offense.

Pierre-Paul, rated the 46th-best player in the draft by Chavous, had 6.5 sacks in one season at South Florida after playing for community colleges in 2007 and '08.

Michigan defensive end Brandon Graham impresses Chavous, who also rates Florida's Carlos Dunlap a lot higher than most — he has the former Gator as the 17th-best player. He likes Texas Christian's Jerry Hughes.

As for Griffen, there's a significant upside but also a lot of questions.

"He is a good athlete and he is in that same category athletically as Pierre-Paul, but he has some experience,'' Chavous said. "The only problem I have is he has struggled to stay on the field. … And at times he needs to be more aggressive; he is not a trained killer. … He has not dominated games like you'd like to see him do.''

Chavous expects the Titans will also fill their cornerback, linebacker and return-game needs in the earlier rounds before filling some holes on offense.

And he wouldn't be surprised if the Titans are very tempted by Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant — if he's still available at 16 — instead of a defensive end.

I just realized Jason McCourty is taller then Devin! I have Jason listed at 6'0. I always thought they were identical twins. I couldn't find any combine numbers for Jason, I'm assuming it might be because he wasn't invited to the combine! But there should be a way to look up old Pro-Days! But from what i could find it sounds like Jason is faster then Devin! It said on NFL.Com Jason ran in the 4.3's and if I'm not mistaken Devin ran in the low 4.4's!

Hey TTP77... Did you look at Corey Chavous mock draft??? It's not bad, But where the hell is J.Haden??? lol.

TEAM PLAYER, POSITION, COLLEGE
    1. St. Louis Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
    2. Detroit Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    3. Tampa Bay Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    4. Washington Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
    5. Kansas City Eric Berry, CB/S, Tennessee
    6. Seattle Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
    7. Cleveland Earl Thomas, CB/S, Texas
    8. Oakland Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    9. Buffalo Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    10. Jacksonville CJ Spiller, RB/KR/PR, Clemson
    11. Denver Jason Pierre-Paul, DE/OLB, South Florida
    12. Miami Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
    13. San Francisco Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
    14. Seattle Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
    15. N.Y. Giants Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
    16. Tennessee Everson Griffen, DE, USC
    17. San Francisco Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
    18. Pittsburgh Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
    19. Atlanta Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan
    20. Houston Devin McCourty, CB/KR, Rutgers
    21. Cincinnati Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
    22. New England Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State
    23. Green Bay Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
    24. Philadelphia Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
    25. Baltimore Brian Price, DT, UCLA
    26. Arizona Jerry Hughes, OLB/DE, TCU
    27. Dallas Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
    28. San Diego Jahvid Best, RB, California
    29. N.Y. Jets Sergio Kindle, OLB/DE, Texas
    30. Minnesota Vikings Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
    31. Indianapolis Colts Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
    32. New Orleans Saints Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
    http://www.tennessean.com/assets/pdf/DN155667415.PDF

11. The following user likes this post:

TTP77 (04-16-2010)

Here's his Titan Mock Draft. If you did see this already, I'm surprised you didn't post it TTP77.

1ST ROUND, 16TH OVERALL
    DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech. He has a motor a lot
    like Kyle Vanden Bosch, and may even use his hands better.
    The problem: he may not be there at 16. In that case,
    Southern Cal’s Everson Griffen is the pick.

3RD ROUND, 77TH OVERALL
    LB Perry Riley, LSU. He’s an outstanding athlete and he
    has a tremendous amount of upside. He’ll fit in well with
    what Tennessee does on defense.

3rd ROUND, 97th OVERALL
    CB Akwasi Owusa-Ansah, Indiana (Pa.). He’s much like
    Cortland Finnegan in that he can break on the football in
    the three-deep zone. He’s big and he runs well. He’s an
    up-and-coming player, and he’s a definite return guy.

4th ROUND, 111th OVERALL
    WR Taylor Price, Ohio. He offers the dynamic speed and
    is a lot faster than people realize. And I’m not real sold
    on their receivers. He’s good value here.

5th ROUND, 148th OVERALL
    DT Geno Atkins, Georgia. They need an inside presence
    who can get after the quarterback. He’s a quick defensive
    lineman who would fit well with what they ask their
    guys to do.

6th ROUND, 185th OVERALL
    CB/Returner Dominique Franks, Oklahoma. He has outstanding
    ball skills and can return kicks. His lapses in
    concentration and technique cause him to fall to the
    Titans, who will be able to develop him.

6th ROUND, 207th OVERALL
    LB Travis Goethel, Arizona State. He has played inside
    and outside. He’s a good special teams player and can
    cover well, which is key for linebackers in the Titans’
    scheme. Plus, he can be a backup long snapper. He’s
    underrated.

7th ROUND, 222nd OVERALL
    QB Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic. If not for a midseason
    injury, he would probably be picked a lot higher. At 6-5,
    228, he has great size and has potential to be a good one.

7th ROUND, 241st OVERALL
    OG/OC Thomas Austin, Clemson. He’s capable of playing
    center and guard, and would give them some versatility
    http://www.tennessean.com/assets/pdf/DN155668415.PDF
    Last edited by Southside Tirant; 04-16-2010 at 07:27 AM.

Thought this was a pretty interesting article...

"Making picks: Concern with consensus?"

When players want to steer clear of trouble with the bosses, they are fond of saying “players play, coaches coach.”

As the draft approaches, I wonder how often scouts mumble the variation: “Scouts scout, coaches coach.”

Not long ago, the Tennessee Titans had a somewhat distinct division of power along those lines.

Former GM Floyd Reese respected Jeff Fisher’s staff. But Reese believed it was his job to assess the talent and to provide it to be coached up.

There were exceptions, of course. Offensive line coach Mike Munchak was the primary force behind the selection of left tackle Michael Roos in 2005, for example.

The scouts I know respect the opinion of a position coach like Munchak.

How could they not appreciate the track record of a Hall of Fame player in developing quality linemen? Still, in a general scout-assistant matchup where the credentials are more even, scouts should hold the trump card, don’t you agree?

One scout I spoke to this week pointed to nine months of work including all those live visits against four to six weeks of study done primarily with tape.

If a GM needs to lean one way or the other, this scout said he should lean with the scout. And on his team, he said that’s usually the way it goes.

Most often, Reese was making the call with the support of his scouting staff. Position coach input was a relatively small ingredient.

And so, when some of Reese’s players didn’t match expectations, a semi-traditional tug of war commenced: Position coaches might gripe about the talent they were -- or were not -- given; the personnel department could grumble about how coaches were not bringing out a player’s best.

Now the man who replaced Reese in 2007, Mike Reinfeldt, strives for harmony and consent and has drafted several players in part because of large endorsements from assistant coaches with mixed degrees of success.

Secondary coach Marcus Robertson liked Ryan Mouton, who struggled as a rookie in 2009.

Defensive line coach Jim Washburn wanted Jason Jones and William Hayes in 2008, and they still rate as works in progress.

Former running backs coach Sherman Smith endorsed Chris Henry in 2007, and Henry busted and is gone.

Reinfeldt’s counterparts in the AFC South seek to be consensus builders too, though Colts president Bill Polian and Jaguars general manager Gene Smith are more powerful than Reinfeldt and Texans GM Rick Smith when it comes to final decisions.

Retired coach Steve Walters, who worked in New England and New Orleans before wrapping up his career with stops in Tennessee and Jacksonville overseeing receivers, said he agreed with that. Under Reese he rarely did much hands-on work with prospects. Assistants just weren’t used that way much. Under James “Shack” Harris with the Jaguars, dumped after the 2008 season, Walters said he and the assistants played a bigger role in scouting.

I can see some value in a more old-school approach to how things should work. It was often unhealthy to have “Reese guys” and “Fisher guys” on the Oilers and Titans. But a position coach didn’t have any more stake in Player A than he did in Player B and it felt like a system of checks and balances was in place.

Washburn helped turn late-round picks by Reese like Robaire Smith (sixth round, 2000) and Carlos Hall (seventh, 2002) into productive players. More recently, he’s given his blessing to the team’s choice of Jones and Hayes under Reinfeldt .

Might the hard-nosed Washburn, even subconsciously, be inclined to give Jones and Hayes a bit more leeway than a guy previously forced on him despite his protests? Might he, even subconsciously, be rooting for them a bit more, because he stuck his neck out for them?

My initial answer to those questions was that I expected he would, and that such things be detrimental. But in hashing it out with a scout and a former coach, I am no longer as staunch in my opinion.

I do still think it’s an interesting question to consider.

My scout told me the additional accountability that comes with a position coach endorsement is a good thing. Maybe a coach would want to stick with such a player a snap, a series, a game or a season too long, but the cross-checking and co-sign from a GM and his scouts provides the necessary context and cover for such scenarios.

You can take the accountability idea in many different directions, though.

If there is a scouting-coaching split, it’s easier to trace an evaluation mistake back to where it happened. On the consensus side, the saying goes that it’s amazing how much can be accomplished if no one cares about who gets the credit. What about the blame?

Ultimately, an owner should want to know who is nailing assessments and who is botching them.

Walters said when an assistant feels he got what he asked for, he is conscious of having endorsed a guy.

“If you stand on the table for a guy and say, ‘I really think this is the guy and these are the reasons why’ and you can build a case for the guy, your opinion may push it over the top for a guy that you want,” he said. “And if you get that guy you’re certainly a little bit on the line for him because they’re going to remember what you said.

“If they just say ‘Here are your guys, like them or not,’ whether you had any input into them or not…”

His voice trailed off and he left that one hanging.

I’d be inclined to finish it: “Well that’s a different deal.”
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...with-consensus

14. The following user likes this post:

PBV (04-18-2010)

Where's Jimmy Clausen?

I don't see us drafting an olineman this year. I think we would draft an RB over an olineman. I don't see us taking a WR that early either. Also, I don't see us drafting two CB's. We'll draft a safety over the CB position IMO.

EDIT: I also don't see Jags taking Spiller at the 10 spot. Also, no way in hades the Ravens or any other 3-4 will let Jared Odrick slide by them. Price is generally seen as a better fit in a 4-3.
    Last edited by TTP77; 04-16-2010 at 11:23 AM.

I don't see Haden falling completely out of the 1st round let alone the 1st 15 picks! His website is pretty usefull though! Alot of Info on players!

http://draftnasty.com/

18. The following user likes this post:

TTP77 (04-17-2010)

The more i think about this new thing with the draft being spread out with the 1st round being Thursday, The 2nd and 3rd Friday and the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Saterday! The more i like! I think it gives us that more of a chance to find a way back into the 2nd round!

Thinking more on the subject of moving into the second round, I wanted to look at trades in the past and i found 1 that was close! If anyone else wants to do a little research on the matter feel free! I would like to see more.

2009: Dallas trades 2nd round pick #51 to Bills for 3rd #75 and 4th #111!

21. The following user likes this post:

TTP77 (04-17-2010)

It does seem like the new format is conducive to more trades. Whether it will happen remains to be seen though.

Thought this was interesting

A survey of 21 NFL scouts and personnel executives found that the majority do not think Tim Tebow will be an NFL starter and do not think he should be taken in the first or second round of the draft.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ews-for-tebow/

I guess I just wonder how truthful these guys are going to be this close to draft time. If someone is interested in Tebow and wants to draft him later than the first round would they really say they love the guy? I just don't know.

i think tebow may have a hard time in the NFL, but i dont see why so many people think he will be unsuccessful?

you know youre going to get someone who is going to be the first one at practice & last one to leave. He works hard, and i really think he could develop to be a player that could possibly put a team on his back if needed.

if you wanna know who i think is going to bust, Jimmy Clausen.

That guy has Ryan Leaf 2.0 written all over his face.

25. The following user likes this post:

TTP77 (04-17-2010)

I'm totally unsold on Clausen too.

27. The following user likes this post:

gnarl (04-17-2010)

Interesting nugget from NFP

Finally, every source I’ve spoken to has said his team is willing to take a long, hard look at Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant – even if it means taking him over one of their outlined needs -- if he falls into the teens on draft day.
    MORE HERE

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...rumblings.html

also an interesting article on Dexter McCluster who may now be a second round pick

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...is-rising.html
    Last edited by TTP77; 04-18-2010 at 09:28 AM.

+ Reply to Thread