+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Football dying?

Default Is Football dying?

I know I'm not the only one losing interest. Apparently there were a lot of empty seats in San Francisco and LA yesterday.

The season opener between NE and KC had the lowest television audience since 2008/2009. I know part of it is due to the fact that we all get older, but Football has changed in so many ways over the past few years. Player safety is important, but you can't sissify a violent sport.

The sport itself is extremely corrupt as well. Many of these games appear to be decided by the league, which works in tandem with the referees.

Can you show any evidence of corruption in the NFL? There just isn't any. There has not been a single game in NFL history that was fixed by the league. No sport can afford it, since the US government would crack down so hard.

Are crowds at game going to diminish? Probably. You can watch these games at home for free instead of spending of money and time attending the games.

The NFL is still the most popular sport in America. It's going to take a lot to ever change that.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

3. The following user likes this post:

Orca (09-16-2017)

It may take a lot to change it but it is changing and rapidly. The only true and likely evidence of corruption was burned by the commissioner years ago, likely in an effort to protect the league itself. If there was nothing suspicious on those tapes they would have been released and not burned. But that mess aside, I think several factors are to blame. One is the fading parity. Sure the parity is still much stronger in the NFL than any other major sport but when a handful of teams dominate for a decade it gets old and loses the drama factor. Perhaps a shuffling of divisions would help in that regard.

Another issue, more likely to affect the league long term is the concussion issue. Many parents are steering their kids into other sports, myself included. I played football and love the sport but as they continue to find CTE in increasingly younger players and science discovers more about the effects of repeated blows to the head, even for non-concussive shots, that trend will likely to continue. My son started playing a few years ago but I wasn't comfortable with it as he's been a Mensa member since 2nd grade. (Proud dad moment - he had a 160 mathematics IQ that year when they measured him. He reasoned on his own what holds an atom together and the basic concepts of genetic sequencing that year. He's in 5th now and starting trigonometry.) He switched to baseball and we haven't looked back. I don't think he was ever going to be aggressive enough for football anyway. He seems better wired for baseball anyway but as more and more parents steer their kids into other sports, it weakens the emerging talent pool for football. (Not saying he was ever going to be a great football player. He did well when he played but he's just not big enough for football and likely won't be). I think long term, CTE and the injury factor will weaken the sport's appeal more than any other factor.
    The Tennessee Titans - good for whatever ails you!

5. The following user likes this post:

Yvette (09-12-2017)

The biggest issue football will have is a smaller pool of talent, combined with lesser TV contracts.

1) More and more parents, myself included, will never 'encourage' our sons into playing tackle football. It will take a generation or two, but the sport will not grow from a participation aspect, which will ultimately hurt the professional product down the line. The NFL could even reverse course and start guaranteeing contracts and that will not matter. All of those ex football players killing themselves, getting ALS, etc. are as powerful a commercial as anything Saatchi and Saatchi can produce. While football will likely always be first in Texas, or the rustbelt, other areas will cease being huge mines for talent.

1a) Also, parents gravitate towards sports that now cost less when possible, so soccer and baseball likely cost less, and are viewed as much more gender-friendly as well.

2) The NFL is going to have a MASSIVE problem on its hands when their current TV contracts each expire. While the SB will forever be the biggest draw for any network, they are going to have to adapt quickly to the changing landscape. Ratings will likely never recover to those previous levels, so its on them to exploit streaming services, telco partnerships and smart next-generation products yet to hit the market that the 16-30 year old male will adopt quicker than I ever would. I chose not to buy DAZN this year, relying on streams, timeshifting cable companies that broadcast more networks and to be honest, just keeping track with Gamecast. Like many, Sunday used to be appointment viewing, but I got 2 kids that need attention and have stuff on Sundays that require my presence. The only solution the NFL has for folks like me is to hit the phone apps as hard as possible. I don't think they have done nearly enough here, as they count their billions from Fox, CBS, NBC and Disney.

As an aside, every network also learned from NBC. That was easily the smartest purchase made by a network ever. Make their games the most important, develop a flex strategy to snatch the best games late in the season, and despite no affiliation with a conference, get 1 playoff game from each and the SB rotation? Genius.

I am also wondering if the backlash from Kaepernick, Bennett, the Browns etc. have turned some older fans away.
    Last edited by Toronto; 09-11-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    What a long strange trip it's been...

7. The following user likes this post:

Yvette (09-12-2017)

Here is my take and what many of my friends I know in person think. NFL isn't the only sport which has loss people attending to a stadium.

It is summarized in the following points:

1) The high cost of tickets. NFL, Formula 1, classificatory games for 2018 Russia World Cup matches and the local professional soccer league, specially at play-offs and much higher during final/championship matches.

2) Having almost the same teams protagonising at play-offs or getting the championship. (all sports are leaned to a handful of teams or being repetitive at winning championships) This takes the excitement out of the window.

3) Having not so succesful team(s) moving to another city. People do not feel identified with certain team (organisation).
    2017... Any professional team must convince by their performances. Not by promises or past stats

9. The following user likes this post:

DieHardTitan (09-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Sect309Fan View Post
    Can you show any evidence of corruption in the NFL? There just isn't any. There has not been a single game in NFL history that was fixed by the league. No sport can afford it, since the US government would crack down so hard.

Are crowds at game going to diminish? Probably. You can watch these games at home for free instead of spending of money and time attending the games.

The NFL is still the most popular sport in America. It's going to take a lot to ever change that.
    A player was thrown out of a game yesterday because he allegedly threw a punch. He never threw a punch though. My main man Aaron Rodgers threw what should've been a pick six but a flag was thrown for a "block in the back" bull$hit penatly.

Spygate, deflategate, stealing signals, pumping artificial noise into stadiums, tuck rule, shutting off communication between the opposing team's OC in the booth and the coach/QB on the sidelines. Some of the worst referees in sports who consistently influence the outcome of the game.

Someone explain this bit of logic to me. How is illegal contact deemed to be a five yard penalty but also an automatic first down as well? It's only a 5 yard penalty.

11. The following user likes this post:

Titanico (09-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by DieHardTitan View Post
    That is not what you were implying. You were saying the NFL colludes with the refs to make certain teams win and certain teams lose, which is what whiny fans say all the time.

Do refs screw up? Sure. There are plenty of judgement calls for penalties, and the refs mess those up. I wouldn't mind a replay system for penalties, but that has been rejected. I hate when refs screw up, but it is ridiculous to think that a ref has ever been told by the league to affect the outcome of a game a particular way.

The NFL definitely has a problem with concussions and holding back research on concussions. I agree that concussions will cause fewer people to play football, and it obviously is causing players to retire much earlier than their predecessors.

As for spygate, deflategate, and others, those are teams and/or players that are trying cheat the system. That is common in almost every sport, which is very unfortunate.

Someone explain this bit of logic to me. How is illegal contact deemed to be a five yard penalty but also an automatic first down as well? It's only a 5 yard penalty.
    The idea is that the receiver might have been running a first down route, and the illegal contact prevented it from happening. I think all defensive penalties except for offsides/encroachment/too many men on the field result in first downs for the same reason.

The idea is that the receiver might have been running a first down route, and the illegal contact prevented it from happening. I think all defensive penalties except for offsides/encroachment/too many men on the field result in first downs for the same reason.
    You forgot running into the kicker, just 5 yards.
    JUST WAITING ON 2017, DEFENSE! BE SMART BE TOUGH

3rd and 20, illegal contact, 5 yard penalty, automatic first down. That sounds right to you?

That is not what you were implying. You were saying the NFL colludes with the refs to make certain teams win and certain teams lose, which is what whiny fans say all the time.
    You think their corruption doesn't spread to the field? Either the referees are incredibly incompetent, or they do get together to discuss which way they're going to lean in a game. Home teams don't get that home cooking? Especially big market successful home teams?

Explain the Rogers pick 6 yesterday which was overturned. Two things happened on that play. They decided to call a bs block in the back penalty, and they threw a Seattle player out for allegedly throwing a punch. As I said before, he never threw a punch. Here’s a question for you, you think they would've made those same calls had the game been played in front of a raucous and hostile sold out Seattle crowd?

Btw I'm not one of those whiny fans, and I absolutely hate Seattle.
    Last edited by DieHardTitan; 09-12-2017 at 07:26 AM.

If this sport were being played and officiated the way it should be, 3rd and 10 would hardly ever be converted, and 3rd and 20 would be converted once in a blue moon.

You think their corruption doesn't spread to the field? Either the referees are incredibly incompetent, or they do get together to discuss which way they're going to lean in a game. Home teams don't get that home cooking? Especially big market successful home teams?
    I am friends with a ref, and he laughs every time a fan believes that BS. Refs do their best to enforce the rules, that is all.

I am friends with a ref, and he laughs every time a fan believes that BS. Refs do their best to enforce the rules, that is all.
    You're extremely naive. Did you expect him to tell you that they get together and deliberately fix games before kickoff or during the week? You honestly think refs haven't made decisions based on how hostile a crowd was?

You're extremely naive. Did you expect him to tell you that they get together and deliberately fix games before kickoff or during the week? You honestly think refs haven't made decisions based on how hostile a crowd was?
    All it would take is for one ref to "tell the truth", and the NFL would be over. Yet that has never happened.

Do refs get caught up in a moment? I am sure they do sometimes. But to accuse these refs of fixing games is wrong, and completely unsupported.

22. The following user likes this post:

hooktool (09-13-2017)

All it would take is for one ref to "tell the truth", and the NFL would be over. Yet that has never happened.
    Mobsters and cartels have been known to threaten families. Not that I'm saying this is the case lol
    "When you become this bad, the only solution is patience, and a plan." ~ Toronto

As an aside, there are many industries fighting change just like PRO sports. Netflix and Apple TV have changed the game for cinemas and the big networks, and Amazon has forced the retail industry to adapt or die. The NFL is lucky in a sense that it has remained the most in demand appointment viewing left in TV. But their arrogance like thinking they could spread games to Thursday, lessen the importance of MNF etc. has cost them. They forgot that what made it so special was that games were 1PM and 4PM with a huge MNF game. They commodized their own product.
    What a long strange trip it's been...

25. The following user likes this post:

Yvette (09-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TitansGiantsBears View Post
    My son started playing a few years ago but I wasn't comfortable with it as he's been a Mensa member since 2nd grade. (Proud dad moment - he had a 160 mathematics IQ that year when they measured him. He reasoned on his own what holds an atom together and the basic concepts of genetic sequencing that year. He's in 5th now and starting trigonometry.)
    Very impressive, Dad!

I didn't let my son play football, not even when the coach practically begged me. Damn good thing too, since he ruptured a disc two years later. I still shudder to think what might have happened if it were during a game.

Anyone see the movie Concussion? I asked a few tailgate buddies that question over the weekend and they all said no. I advised them to never ever watch it or they'd never look at football the same way again. It definitely took the shine off for me.

I loved watching the Chiefs annihilate the Patsies last week. Hopefully another dynasty has crumbled and things get interesting again.
    "When you become this bad, the only solution is patience, and a plan." ~ Toronto

27. 2 Users Liked This Post

Titanico (09-12-2017), TitanPop (09-13-2017)

Do refs get caught up in a moment? I am sure they do sometimes. But to accuse these refs of fixing games is wrong, and completely unsupported.
    A few years ago, wasn't an NBA ref found guilty of gambling on basketball games he was officiating? Did the NBA die?

+ Reply to Thread