+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is Football dying?

There is still a huge difference between a NBA ref out to make money for himself by affecting games, and a league telling refs to affect outcomes of games.

There is no evidence at all of the NFL telling refs to help a particular team win. It's a fantasy concocted by crazy fans, usually fans of teams that haven't been winning much. If you want to be part of that fantasy, then go ahead.

Bad calls does not equate fixing games. Simple as that.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

4. 2 Users Liked This Post

hooktool (09-13-2017), Orca (09-17-2017)

Yvette I saw Concussion and it really didn't add much to me I didn't already suspect. I also don't hold conspiricy/ref theories as the main reason the sport is going through a downturn. It was inevitable. The shrinking talent pool alone is a big enough reason. I also believe there is real resentment growing over taxpayers footing stadium bills for billionaires to add yet another reason to the pile. Think cities like San Diego, Oakland or St. Louis will watch the NFL? Browns fans (well this could go for a lot of us) watch if they are masochists, and the NFL/networks shove the NFC East, Packers, Pats and Steelers down the nation's throats for national games. Hard to really grab new eyeballs that way.

The league is in a rut with little in the way of vision or fresh thinkers. After several years of this (outside NBC, has anyone really brought something fresh to the table to grab young fans in particular?) I am certainly not shocked. Maybe it's because when I worked for an all-sports network, and they blew a fortune on NHL rights, they put all of their resources into streaming and live in-game apps. Even the NHL/Rogers knew that appointment viewing was a thing of the past.
    Last edited by Toronto; 09-13-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    What a long strange trip it's been...

6. 2 Users Liked This Post

Sect309Fan (09-13-2017), Yvette (09-13-2017)

I've quit watching football on TV just for the fact that the NFL is 2 faced about this national anthem controversy .... on one hand they put on the biggest patriotic spectacle ever seen before each game... honoring soldiers, football field size flags and military flyovers yet can't even make a statement condemning the act of not standing for the anthem. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who has turned off the NFL for that reason.

The 1st titans that sits and I won't go anymore either
    Last edited by 315; 09-15-2017 at 06:25 AM.
    A good dog is not easily ruined

Imagine that in a few years the regular season may very well be 18 games long. Not even the most hardcore Football fans want an 18-game season. The selection pool in College football has taken a massive hit over the past few years, and those numbers will continue to decline. More and more players will retire after they play out their first big contract, i.e. well before the age of 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Sect309Fan View Post
    There is still a huge difference between a NBA ref out to make money for himself by affecting games, and a league telling refs to affect outcomes of games.

There is no evidence at all of the NFL telling refs to help a particular team win. It's a fantasy concocted by crazy fans, usually fans of teams that haven't been winning much. If you want to be part of that fantasy, then go ahead.

Bad calls does not equate fixing games. Simple as that.
    You're yet to address the Aaron Rodgers pick 6. Why was a Seattle player ejected for throwing a punch? A punch he never threw. I hear Fox refused to show the replays as well.

Why does Goodell keep losing in court? Isn't he the one who initially had all the evidence of New England's cheating destroyed? You're a little too naive to put 2+2 together. You're one of those guys that needs to see everything in order to believe it.
    Last edited by DieHardTitan; 09-15-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHardTitan View Post
    You're yet to address the Aaron Rodgers pick 6. Why was a Seattle player ejected for throwing a punch? A punch he never threw. I hear Fox refused to show the replays as well.

Why does Goodell keep losing in court? Isn't he the one who initially had all the evidence of New England's cheating destroyed? You're a little too naive to put 2+2 together. You're one of those guys that needs to see everything in order to believe it.
    1. He was ejected because the official thought he threw a punch. Spain and one of the Bears were ejected in the preseason for throwing a single punch each. It does appear this rule is overly strict, and since there is no review, it only takes one ref to call it. Since the NFL did not fine the Seattle player, it was likely a missed call by the ref. And don't forget that another player did push the back of Rodgers, which is a block in the back penalty, even if just a little shove.

2. Goodell doesn't really lose. Judges have put in temporary injunctions, but in the end, these players get suspended. I do expect this to change in the next CBA (with an independent party doing appeals rather than Goodell).

3. We should all want to see facts and evidence.

Orca is offline Nam Sybillam quidem Cumis... Orca has a reputation beyond repute Orca has a reputation beyond repute Orca has a reputation beyond repute Orca has a reputation beyond repute Orca has a reputation beyond repute Orca has a reputation beyond repute Orca has a reputation beyond repute Orca has a reputation beyond repute Orca has a reputation beyond repute Orca has a reputation beyond repute Orca has a reputation beyond repute

This football fan from birth now prefers watching hockey for multiple reasons:
    1. More and constant action.
    2. Fewer delays. Shorter delays. Call reviews are unconscionably long and too frequent in football.
    3. I now understand the rules.
    4. Local team
    5. Intangibles
    6. Mrs O will sit and watch with me. She is even going to attend Jackets-Preds with me. I call that a winner!
    "In war there is no substitute for victory"

12. 6 Users Liked This Post

315 (09-18-2017), DelawareTitans (09-17-2017), t1tan5 (09-18-2017), Toronto (09-17-2017), Yvette (09-16-2017), zonian (09-17-2017)

The national anthem stuff doesn't turn me off at all. I have noticed that this issue seems to be more of a generational divide as much as it is a racial one.

What turns me off is the over-commercialization of the league. I understand that they want to make money, but it seems like in the last few years that the league has lost touch with fans who have been outpriced for tix(I get supply/demand), outpriced for parking/concessions, and outpriced in merchandise. Jerseys cost an obscene amount for a damn nylon shirt with a number and nameplate.

The ****ty commissioner doesn't help...but as long as the owners keep making money he will stay on as their face.

Teams holding cities hostage for new stadiums is also annoying. I was happy that SD/STL didn't completely give in.

What also turns me off is just the obscene amount of time each game takes to finish with commercials. And everything has a commercial break now. I wish they could look into being like (I can't believe I am about to say this...) NASCAR and see about running commercials in PIP mode or something similar. One of the reasons I have started getting into soccer is the fact that for 45 minutes I don't have to see a single commercial.

To be honest, if Mariota had not (somewhat) saved the Titans, I would have probably hung up my Titans fandom once and for all. I probably would have cheered for Brady until he retired, but thats about it with the NFL. I just can't find myself very enthusiastic about it anymore.
    2/3 of the world is covered in water, the other 1/3 is covered by Charles Woodson

14. 2 Users Liked This Post

DieHardTitan (09-17-2017), Yvette (09-16-2017)

Titansfan777

I feel your pain.

If I tell you that cable TV originally started with the greatest idea of being a commercial-free way to watch TV, you wouldn't believe it. (that was back in 1980-81). Right now cable TV is stuffed with commercials, and what I hate the most Info-commercials (with all those lousy "miracle" products). They apprear every time.

Sports had become a buisness, you name it. And it's quite a dirty-war among every sports-team around the globe.
    2017... Any professional team must convince by their performances. Not by promises or past stats

16. 2 Users Liked This Post

DieHardTitan (09-17-2017), Yvette (09-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    Maybe it's because when I worked for an all-sports network, and they blew a fortune on NHL rights, they put all of their resources into streaming and live in-game apps. Even the NHL/Rogers knew that appointment viewing was a thing of the past.
    When the NHL is ahead of the curve compared to you, you know you're in trouble.

Ratings on CBS last week were at a 20 year low

Quote Originally Posted by 315 View Post
    Ratings on CBS last week were at a 20 year low
    I am not sure if you are talking about week 1 or week 2, or local vs national. Please clarify.

These first couple of weeks are also going to be heavily skewed because of the widespread destruction in Florida and Texas. That is a lot of potential viewers that either don't have access to tv anymore or have much bigger things to worry about.

These next two weeks should give a better signal on where TV ratings for the NFL are.

Last week ... reported by Clay Travis. I don't agree with his reasons though

21. The following user likes this post:

Sect309Fan (Yesterday)

Really ratings dropped since the beginning of the season but they wanted to attribute the first week to the hurricanes
    Last edited by 315; Yesterday at 01:50 PM.

Their fans were the only ones who gave a damn about Pats vs Chiefs
    "When you become this bad, the only solution is patience, and a plan." ~ Toronto

+ Reply to Thread