+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Make Football Safer?

Default How to Make Football Safer?

Just wanted to hear what you guys think would be best for improving the safety of the game? It can be as small as a simple rule change, or a total overhaul...

Just interested in some thoughts
    **** **** **** ADMIN - PLEASE DELETE ACCOUNT **** **** ****

I don't see any rule changes that could make the game safer. Helmet technology just needs to keep getting better, since concussions and their effects have the biggest long-term detriment to players.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

3. The following user likes this post:

Titansfan777 (11-22-2017)

I know I created the thread, but off of the top of my head in another forum, I was thinking:

-New rules heavily promoting wrap-up tackling around the quads/hips (and rugby style tackling in general). Of course that means no leading with shoulders, targeting, etc...illegal tackles such as these result in fines and/or immediate ejections along with suspensions for repeat violators. This eliminates a lot of the hard hitting and replaces it with a much safer alternative. Much more enforcement of penalties regarding running into a pile as well.

-Eliminate the 3 and 4 point stances for anyone on the line (OL/DL/TE). This would mean way fewer intense close-range collisions.

-Doing away with helmets and facemasks (instead, just scrum-cap like protection), and making the players wear very light shoulder padding (think LAX pads, or maybe even no padding). Players wouldn't want to hit other players as they do currently if they know that they may break their nose/facial bones/shoulders/ribs if they do. Players would also feel more 'exposed'.

Pros:
    -Fewer concussions
    -Less hard hitting
    -Game is somewhat safer and may help steer kids back to it
    -Players become leaner/weigh less as there will be more of an emphasis on speed and less on sheer mass at LB/DL/OL positions
    -With less padding and constraints with gear, the players play somewhat faster
    -Game becomes cheaper to play for people around the world (especially the poor) >>> Increase in global popularity

Cons:
    -This would be hard to institute overnight, but would have to be done all at once for it to work
    -Football has macho-mentality that would need to die down significantly
    **** **** **** ADMIN - PLEASE DELETE ACCOUNT **** **** ****

+ Reply to Thread