+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Texans @ Titans gameday thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sect309Fan View Post
    I respectfully disagree that it is "vanilla, boring football". These games are highly dramatic if you are watching them, with all but the first Texans game and the Steelers game going down to the wire (and even in in those games, the Titans has some amazing TDs).

This coaching staff has elevated the Titans to the next level already. They moved the Titans from the basement to one of the better AFC teams, and there still is a year three to this rebuild where the Titans can get some defensive stars in the draft. When Mularkey was made the full time coach, how many of you predicted this much success?

The Titans obviously have room for improvement. They are in the middle of the pack stat wise offensively and defensively (which is still way better than being near the bottom in 2014-2015). They turn the ball over more than get turnovers. The Titans struggle on third downs offensively (defensively, they are #11 in the NFL).

This team has improved so much these last two seasons, so try to be patient and let the process continue. And please try to enjoy winning again.
    I understand your point, and I am happy they are winning, albeit in an ugly fashion. There is plenty of room for improvement, but is Mularkey the coach that will keep improving this team? I'm just not sure if the Titans are as good as their record indicates.

I hope you are right and wish I could be as optimistic as you, but I'm trying

2. 3 Users Liked This Post

Sect309Fan (12-04-2017), Toronto (12-04-2017), Yvette (12-04-2017)

Interesting article on the Titans playoff chances (spoiler alert, we are going to the playoffs). However, it is notable that we are essentially a 5.6 win team whereas the Jaguars are a 9.4 win team. Reading this article really helps illustrate just how pedestrian the Titans are, especially vs the Jaguars in common opponents.

The good:
    -The Titans win close games, and would be 6-1 in one-score games had Henry not scored to end the game yesterday.

The Bad:
    -Jacksonville has a point differential better than everyone in the AFC except for New England
    -In 7 common games between the Titans and Jacksonville this season, they have blown out almost every opponent and have not won by less than 12 points
    -Bortles has actually become better as the season wears on

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...d-card-picture
    Last edited by Titansfan777; 12-04-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    2/3 of the world is covered in water, the other 1/3 is covered by Charles Woodson

4. The following user likes this post:

Yvette (12-04-2017)

And please try to enjoy winning again.
    It's a good thing you've not witnessed some of the post win meltdowns at the tailgate
    Quote Originally Posted by Titansfan777 View Post
    Only this team would be in a dogfight with the Browns.

Going back to the game, here are some things that stood out.

1. Ryan suffered a concussion midway through the third quarter, and Sims had to take over covering Hopkins. At that point Hopkins had 7 catches for 66 yards. For the rest of the game, Hopkins had 1 catch for 14 yards, and Sims had the huge interception to basically win the game. What an amazing job by Sims, and maybe he needs to be the main corner from now on.

2. While Mariota only had a pedestrian 150 yards passing, he did have a nice TD pass to Walker, a great TD run (3rd of the season against the Texans), no interceptions, and no real sacks. Both "sacks" were him scrambling and not getting hit, and only 4 total yards were lost. That second sack was especially smart, since he would normally throw it away, but he didn't want the clock to stop.

3. The run game looked much improved this week. Henry's long TD run at the end certainly helped, but 198 total yards rushing is something special. Henry averaged 9.9 ypc, while Murray was at 6.0. The tandem of using both is still working well.

4. The run defense held the Texans to just 53 yards rushing. The Titans have not allowed a 100 yard rusher all season long.

5. The Titans defense did allow Savage to have his best start ever. But while he threw for 365 yards, he did only get one TD pass and one interception. The Titans 4 sacks of Savage were the most since game 1 of the season (Jags sacked him 6 times).

6. Kern was amazing again with 4 punts for 199 yards, with two downed inside the 20. Kern is #2 in the NFL for Net Punt average (45.4 yards).
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

7. 2 Users Liked This Post

hooktool (12-05-2017), Parddy (12-06-2017)

3. The run game looked much improved this week. Henry's long TD run at the end certainly helped, but 198 total yards rushing is something special. Henry averaged 9.9 ypc, while Murray was at 6.0. The tandem of using both is still working well.

).
    I thought Murray looked more explosive all around against the Texans. He sure had more hop in his step than in the previous couple of weeks. He is one tough customer that plays through a lot of bumps and bruises. I really like Murray.
    Whiz: "Obviously, we are very disappointed" ..

9. The following user likes this post:

Sect309Fan (12-06-2017)

+ Reply to Thread