+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should the Steelers fire their coaches?

Default Should the Steelers fire their coaches?

If the same logic that some Titans fans have toward the Titans coaches applied to the Steelers, then definitely.

Just look at these scores:
    Steelers 31 - Browns 28 (Browns are 0-12)
    Steelers 17 - Bears 23 (Bears are 3-9 and the Steelers still lost)
    Jags 30 - Steelers 9 (Blowout loss)
    Steelers 20 - Lions 15 (close win)
    Steelers 20 - Colts 17 (fell behind double digits to a 3-9 team)
    Packers 28 - Steelers 31 (barely beat a team with a backup QB at home )
    Steelers 23 - Bengals 20 (fell behind double digits to a 5-7 team)

When you look at just the negative and ignore the positive (Steelers had big wins over the Vikings, Ravens, and Titans), then you miss the big picture. I hope this Steelers example shows the Titans are doing just fine.
    Last edited by Sect309Fan; 12-05-2017 at 08:06 AM.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

2. The following user likes this post:

hooktool (12-06-2017)

Mike Tomlin is 112-59. One AFC championship and one Super Bowl Championship. He gets a longer rope.
    Whiz: "Obviously, we are very disappointed" ..

4. The following user likes this post:

Toronto (12-06-2017)

My whole point is that the Titans are playing very similar type games to the Steelers, a team with proven coaches, a HOF QB, and lots of tradition. So let's not go crazy on this team.

Mike, I get your point... lol You crack me up. Who cares what anybody else thinks? The team is 8-4 and fans will be fans. Some fans are angry and some fans are Pom Pom wavers. In the end we are all rooting for the same team... Don't take it personal... :-)
    Whiz: "Obviously, we are very disappointed" ..

Quote Originally Posted by Sect309Fan View Post
    My whole point is that the Titans are playing very similar type games to the Steelers, a team with proven coaches, a HOF QB, and lots of tradition. So let's not go crazy on this team.
    A team with younger proven coaches, 2 Super Bowl appearances (with a win), and great offensive players in Ben, Bell, Brown, along with a proven track record of drafting and developing players gets a lot more slack than a team with unsuccessful coaches (minus our 80 year old DC), no playoff appearances, and struggling offensive players that have stalled development.

Nobody is "going crazy on this team"... Everyone wants the Titans to succeed, which apparently you don't understand if you cannot differentiate constant critique, annoyance, and concerns vs. downright hatred for the team. All the people you called out as delusional for being annoyed with constant issues a lot are no more delusional or less of a fan than you, Mr. Always Sunshine.

Everyone is happy that the Titans are 8-4, and about to head to the playoffs for the first time since 2008. You wont find a Titans fan alive who is disappointed in that. However, when you have a pedestrian defense still, and an offense which has clearly regressed/stalled in development, you need to look at the coaches. I think Mularkey has done an admirable job bringing the team back from being a laughing stock. That being said, I do not think he is the man to get the team to the next level.

He built a solid foundation, and this team will be a borderline playoff team for the next few years because of it. For some people that is good enough. For others, that will be disappointment. The Titans could very well be 3rd or 4th place next season when Luck and Watson return. Unless there is a massive improvement on offense and the defense can play well against teams with a pulse, this team will be golfing in January next season.

Make no mistake, the only reason we are going to the playoffs is because of the fact the AFC is so unexpectedly down this season. The Raiders (and Chiefs to a lesser extent) were on almost everybody's playoff team list as solid playoff teams and potential Super Bowl contenders, along with the Patriots and Steelers being annual favorites. The Texans were expected to challenge for the playoffs, then Watson turned into a monster for a few weeks before being injured and their season crumbled apart. The Colts were supposed to at least be ok, but lost Luck for the season.

The only AFC team that really has become a surprise are the Jags. Outside of them, the Patriots, and the Steelers, the AFC is trash this season. Make no mistake, we are not making the playoffs because we are good, we are making the playoffs because everyone else in the AFC is so bad. Granted, you cannot choose who you play, but we have been extremely blessed with a schedule full of terrible offenses and teams that have been derailed by the injury bug to key players.

So yes Mularkey has done an admirable job, and has certainly improved this team from a bottom 5 team into a respectable one. However, I see nothing in his (or any of our coaches) track record to indicate he will do much better than this. I think he will max out as a Jeff Fisher level coach. You will never be a bad team under his watch, but you'll never be that great either. You will get to the playoffs, but probably won't make much noise. You will have a slow-paced ball control offense, and eventually a decent defense. Do I want to be wrong about this, yes. But he has a long resume working against him. His offense is just not dynamic enough to come back from large deficits like the Steelers team you mentioned. His defense is only great against poor teams. And his playcalling is extremely conservative and more than questionable.

So yes, I think unless he wins at least 1 game in the playoffs, he should go. This team will finish 10-6 most likely, which is a 1 game improvement over last year, while his offense has gotten worse since last year, and his defense only marginally better. Unfortunately, this is the same franchise who's front office kept Fisher about 6 years too long, and the has shown that they are happy with average. This is what fans are scared of. Being middle of the road, and complacency by ownership.

Everyone understands its a process, but the process should be one where improvement is made on the field and in playcalling as the seasons go on. I have not seen much of an improvement for the majority of the players this season. I have seen some regression unfortunately.

So all of those fans on the board you criticize for being harsh on players making mistakes and coaches making questionable calls in game threads (where emotions are already higher than your average thread) are just tired of seeing a team underperform. Fans constantly saying players are struggling when they are struggling are very valid in their concerns, and fans calling out the questionable decision making by coaches on a weekly basis is very warranted. The majority of fans want better, and waiting since 2008 for another trip to the playoffs and since 2003 for another win in the playoffs, the fans deserve a great team.
    2/3 of the world is covered in water, the other 1/3 is covered by Charles Woodson

8. 3 Users Liked This Post

DelawareTitans (12-06-2017), Titanico (12-05-2017), Toronto (12-06-2017)

My main complaint is for those that want coaches fired for taking a team that went 2-14 and 3-13 to 9-7 and the 10-12 wins we get this year. That is what get coaches extensions, not pink slips.

I really wish the tailgaters would speak up more. We all have been going to these game for years now, many of us from the start. Over the last 7 to 8 years, we have been sitting in half empty stadiums, surrounded by opposing fans, and leaving quickly and quietly because the product was so bad for so long. Under the combination of Amy, Jon, and Mike, going to games is finally fun again. I can stay to the end without being embarrassed and to keep cheering while leaving Nissan stadium. I you want to know why I am so defensive toward this team and coaching staff, it is because they have made my game day experience into something that feels really good.

I love going to tailgates, but I want that to be the start of a good day instead of the end of it. And it has been. I also hope more people come out to experience what my fellow tailgaters and I have been experiencing.

10. The following user likes this post:

hooktool (12-07-2017)

I would've fired Tomlin a long time ago. He's nothing more than a glorified cheerleader. Good for yelling, screaming, and movie quotes.

Someone tell Sect309 that the Steelers are 10-2, and were Superbowl favourites coming into the season, as they were last year. This is a perennial playoff team and historically a powerhouse. The Eagles are 10-2 as well, and their record suggests that they've only beat one team above. 500. That's the league, that's how it's been for years. Parity. Yet somehow the Titans never make the playoffs, have never beaten Andrew Luck, and can't sweep the Texans or the Jaguars.

The reason why I'm critical of this team is because I've seen better Titan teams that went 7-9 or 8-8. I can't even watch their highlights after the game because what is there to see? In Mariota's first two seasons, there were actually quite a few highlights. Obviously I'll take wins over highlights, but this team is hard to take seriously. Like I've said, they've scraped by to beat bad teams, and been demolished when they played real teams.

Nice try though, Sect309Fan. You get an A for effort, but an F for execution.

12. The following user likes this post:

Titanico (12-05-2017)

"Yet somehow the Titans never make the playoffs". So in the one year that they will, you continue to bash them???

"I've seen better teams that went 7-9 or 8-8". Maybe during the Fisher years. Those are long gone, and this is the best team I have seen since the 13-3 2008 team.

"Scraped by to beat bad teams". Just like the 10-2 Steelers.

"Been demolished when they played real teams" Except of course the Jags (8-4), Seahawks (8-4), and Ravens (7-6).

Highlights from the Texans game - Mariota's TD run, the Walker TD drive, the 3 false starts in a row (thanks to fans like me), the Sims game-saving INT, and Henry's amazing 75 yard TD run.
    Last edited by Sect309Fan; 12-05-2017 at 04:10 PM.

14. The following user likes this post:

hooktool (12-06-2017)

You want to draw a comparison to the Steelers, but you don't seem to get it. They are almost always in the playoffs. They are 10-2, not 8-4. They've won many Superbowls. I don't think they're that good to be honest with you. Offensively they can be frightening, but defensively they don't scare me. Yet they are 10-2.

The reason why I'm disappointed in this team is because I'm actually content with this roster. I like it, and because I feel that way, I expected more/better. What I didn't expect was these God awful games where they do jack$hit for 50+ minutes but manage to win it in the end.

16. The following user likes this post:

Titanico (12-05-2017)

"Yet somehow the Titans never make the playoffs". So in the one year that they will, you continue to bash them???

"I've seen better teams that went 7-9 or 8-8". Maybe during the Fisher years. Those are long gone, and this is the best team I have seen since the 13-3 2008 team.

"Scraped by to beat bad teams". Just like the 10-2 Steelers.

"Been demolished when they played real teams" Except of course the Jags (8-4), Seahawks (8-4), and Ravens (7-6).

Highlights from the Texans game - Mariota's TD run, the Walker TD drive, the 3 false starts in a row (thanks to fans like me), the Sims game-saving INT, and Henry's amazing 75 yard TD run.
    You are quick to mix and see things out of focus. The when and what happened and what's been happening. The mishaps, the underplay, the bad play calls (unless players call them, and I had seen very interesting succesful plays here and there...last one the play called by Lewan in which Henry ran to score and seal the score).

Football is not just blind looking what a single team is doing. It's absolutely nessesary to see where they are failing, where they need to improve at and compare their season with the teams which have created a more solid run thorugh YEARS..not just one season...not getting conformed with a winning record, when it's clear it's needed much more solidness, better plays called and specially to see most of the players specially at key positions.

At every game thread, there's no one post which is telling a lie or saying things different than what is REALLY happening, and there's where your "delusional" tag it's not valid.

Every football fan can tell the difference, every football fan can be realistic enough to see how deep a team can march along the season and playoffs. Mularkey need to get fired and Robiski too, since their game plan and how the players are underperforming, they are not getting to that nessesary level to become a Titans 1999 type of team (as you dared to post).

Take it personal..I am not taking it like that. I am just putting my very honest view and opinion. As I do at every game thread. I post what I see and also needs to be posted. Football is that for a fan. Not just looking at the cream and cherries on top. A view always needs to be much more valuable, not getting comformed with what it is, when the underplaying, the mistakes and the mishappenings are obvious and clear.
    Tell me where do I belong, In a sick society (Ozzy's "You're No Different" lyrics excerpt

18. The following user likes this post:

DieHardTitan (12-06-2017)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...ery-head-coach

Rating 2: Cool seat

Tennessee Titans (8-4)

The Titans are 17-11 since Mike Mularkey took over as full-time head coach before the 2016 season. That's tied with Philadelphia's Doug Pederson for the best record among the seven 2016 head coach hires. Mularkey is on his way to leading the Titans to their first playoff berth since 2008. The offense hasn't lived up to some of its high expectations, but barring a total collapse or aggressive desire for change, Mularkey should be safe. Currently in year two of a three-year deal, he's much more likely to get an extension than to be fired. -- Cameron Wolfe

http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-t...-get-more-love

The Titans have a young, aggressive and hard-working front office led by general manager Jon Robinson, but they're successful primarily because their personnel decisions line up with Mularkey's style. It's led to a tough, tight team of solid players with an innate ability to show up clutch in the fourth quarter. The Titans are 8-0 (4-0 in 2017) in games decided by four points or less since the start of the 2016 season.

"In past years, we didn't have the fight," tight end Delanie Walker said. "This year, we expect to win close games. That's our identity, we ain't gonna give up."

Left tackle Taylor Lewan added: "My first two years here, it was the exact opposite. Anytime it was a close game, we would find a way to lose. The leadership today really makes that what we are."

This Titans team doesn't win in spite of Mularkey and his coaching staff. They have assumed the identity he planned for them.

21. The following user likes this post:

hooktool (12-07-2017)

Yes they need to clean house. This group had their run, and now they cannot get past the 2nd or 3rd round. Plus they cannot and will not beat the Patriots. Time to get a staff who can. If they do it this post season feel free to bump and quote, then I will have some crow to eat.

23. The following user likes this post:

Titanico (12-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Predarat View Post
    Yes they need to clean house. This group had their run, and now they cannot get past the 2nd or 3rd round. Plus they cannot and will not beat the Patriots. Time to get a staff who can. If they do it this post season feel free to bump and quote, then I will have some crow to eat.
    Are you referring to the Steelers or Titans? Based on the context, it sounds like the Steelers.
    Last edited by Sect309Fan; 12-06-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Are you referring to the Steelers or Titans? Based on the context, it sounds like the Steelers.
    Yes, another playoff fail for the Steelers and they need to clean house.

26. The following user likes this post:

Sect309Fan (12-06-2017)

Yeah...Pred is sure referring to the Steelers LOL
    Tell me where do I belong, In a sick society (Ozzy's "You're No Different" lyrics excerpt

28. The following user likes this post:

Predarat (12-07-2017)

+ Reply to Thread