+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So what the hell happened to our offense?

Default So what the hell happened to our offense?

I've been looking at Mariota's highlights over the past two years, and there were times last season when our offense looked downright scary (in a good way). Mariota was slinging that ball all over the place and getting everyone involved. What I did notice is that Tajae Sharpe and Kendall Wright featured in some of those highlight packages.

Tajae hasn't played all season, and we lost Kendall to free agency. However, we've added Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor, Jonnu Smith, and Eric Decker.

Rishard was awesome last season, but has been hot and cold this season. Mostly cold of late.

Didn't we score 30 points or more in five consecutive games as well?

Wasn't Robiskie our OC last season?

My take is that the playbook isn't helping, it isn't addapted to the players strengths, there aren't clear WR1, WR2, WR3. Too many tight and slot passes, long passes are almost banned from that playbook. Robiskie seems too conservative (scared), and to be coherent...I said this through many game threads.

And as many other mentioned, as I did at those threads, the run-run-pass is what dominates that playbook. It's the other extreme of what Gilbride was doing with the run-and-shoot offense (which costed him a punch from Buddy Ryan) in the Oilers era.

It's too risky having Mariota running so much as he did against KC. Henry performance was great, but that doesn't mean N.E. will allow that. N.E.'s secondary improved a lot since week 7.
    Tell me where do I belong, In a sick society (Ozzy's "You're No Different" lyrics excerpt

3. The following user likes this post:

Parddy (01-11-2018)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...darrell-bevell

Bevell fired in Seattle. If I remember correctly he was a possible HC candidate a few years ago. He worked wonders with Russell Wilson, and even though they haven't been as good the past year or two, I think he could do a good job with Mariota.

Thoughts?

5. The following user likes this post:

Parddy (01-11-2018)

I think Mariota has been playing at about 65% health since the Houston game. I think that more than anything is the reason. He's just now starting to look himself again.
    Whiz: "Obviously, we are very disappointed" ..

7. The following user likes this post:

HALL45ROX (01-11-2018)

The Titans had 3720 yards passing last year, and 1168 of those yards were to players not playing this year (mostly Wright and Sharpe). Those players also accounted for 9 TDs.

Decker has not been good and Davis still doesn't have a TD and keeps running wrong routes. So the WR core has gotten worse, not better as expected. Walker is still consistent, but defenses are keying on him more because the other receivers aren't doing well.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

9. 3 Users Liked This Post

DieHardTitan (01-11-2018), HALL45ROX (01-11-2018), Yvette (01-12-2018)

Does a healthy Mariota "improve" the o line? They have played really well the last two games (which was not the case the rest of the year). Is this all about Marcus ACL tear from last year fully healing? After the one year anniversary of that injury, Marcus has been lights out.

PLAYCALLING:
    -"Exotic Smashmouth" lol
    -So predictable. Same routes. Same runs. Least imaginative offense out there.
    -We ran so many passing plays where multiple guys stayed back to block, allowing the d to only need to cover 2-3 guys instead of 4-5.
    -Lack of pace. Using the entire playclock and huddling. Almost never really going up-tempo/no-huddle
    -Not adjusting the gameplan. If certain things were working (going up-tempo), the team would abandon it and slow it down.

OFFENSIVE LINE
    Lewan - Continued to dominate, and then get dumb penalties. Still elite.
    Conklin - Not as quite as good as last year, but still solid.
    Jones - Dude this guy cannot snap the ball anymore. Unless Mariota is asking for snaps at his feet. Those low snaps cost Mariota time in the pocket and the ability to hit receivers quicker.
    Guards - Maybe no other unit on our team has been more detrimental to the offense than the guards (and Jones). Seriously, they were routinely beat.

MARIOTA:
    -His 2017 injury may have not been 100% healed, and then add in the injury in the Texans game, and he was never healthy again.
    -First season where he was really forcing some bad passes. What was he seeing?
    -Overall awareness was not great.
    -It was like he had a rookie season...in year 3.

RUNNING BACKS:
    Murray - banged up all year, and looked very slow out there. It was like he aged 5 years over the course of the offseason.
    Henry - Solid. Has some blocking issues that need to be addressed, but was a late game home run hitter.

RECEIVERS:
    Losing Wright hurt. He was a good 2nd option receiver for Mariota, and they had some chemistry.

As for our receivers now:
    Decker - Huge bust of a signing. The guy has terrible hands, and until his TD vs the Chiefs was awful
    Sharpe - Injured all year. Mariota really liked him it seemed in 2016.
    Davis - Injured for half the year and inconsistent as it gets. Shows flashes, but is definitely a rookie.
    Walker - Another year older and was our only target. Teams were blanketing him a lot.
    Taylor - Remember him? Because he basically vanished when Davis came back from injury.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    TO DO LIST FOR SPRING/SUMMER 2018
    -Fire Robiske
    -Hire an OC that can maximize talent and call plays that are above high school level
    -Let new OC hire some quality staff
    -Cut Decker
    -Sign a new guard(s) or center in FA or draft one

Really it isnt some massive checklist. The team should be about set at the skill positions, at least on paper. Jonnu Smith will start to take more of the TE load next year, Henry will take over the starting RB spot, and hopefully the new coordinator can work a little magic. This team has just about the worst OC in the league, so it shouldnt be hard to improve there.
    2/3 of the world is covered in water, the other 1/3 is covered by Charles Woodson

12. The following user likes this post:

DelawareTitans (01-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareTitans View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...darrell-bevell

Bevell fired in Seattle. If I remember correctly he was a possible HC candidate a few years ago. He worked wonders with Russell Wilson, and even though they haven't been as good the past year or two, I think he could do a good job with Mariota.

Thoughts?
    Bevell, not sure. He has or had a very pourous OL this season (I know, not his fault) but it took Wilson to run for his life at an important number of downs.

Then the Seattle's offense became also confussing. They do have listeded Baldwin as WR1 - Lockett ar WR2 and Moore as WR3. Then there is Richardson who appears as a backup WR, at their depth chart.

Well the story in Seattle is that Lockett was their WR1 (for the passes thrown at him), then Richardson and Baldwin was treated as a WR3. If anything I call healthy coherent coaching is when players are treated as they are supposed to. So Bevell looks like another confussing/risky candidate as HC or OC.
    Tell me where do I belong, In a sick society (Ozzy's "You're No Different" lyrics excerpt

+ Reply to Thread