+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Report: McDaniels to stay in New England - turns down Colts

Default Report: McDaniels to stay in New England - turns down Colts

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...gland-patriots

Now there is just one report of this now, but that is a major blow to the Colts if it true.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

Best news of the day. This not only sets the colts back, but may also mean that Lucks injury is worse than thought.

This also probably makes him coach in waiting for the Patriots
    2/3 of the world is covered in water, the other 1/3 is covered by Charles Woodson

The article updated since I posted it, but still uses the same link. It sounds like he was wavering, even during the last interview with the Colts.

I am throwing out Mularkey's name out there as a potential coach because I just don't know who else they can go after. I guess Schwartz is a potential candidate as well.

Frank Reich is a possibility as well. I was telling my Eagles fan friend that their coaching staff should be safe, but this changes everything.
    Last edited by Sect309Fan; 02-06-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Colts are in a really tough spot. I didn’t do any research into this, but the last time I remember a coach being hired this late (probably not until next week at the earliest) was when Munchak was hired. At this point, all of the top candidates are gone.

If I am them, I wonder if they go after a college guy like Shaw or back a Brinks truck into Harbaugh’s driveway. Heck, maybe look into trying to get someone like Mularkey as a last resort as you mentioned. This is a tough place for them.
    2/3 of the world is covered in water, the other 1/3 is covered by Charles Woodson

Quite a hard hit for Indianapolis.

And for the Titans fanbase, is a relief (?) since McDaniels was wanted more like a bag with a million dollars in it.
    Tell me where do I belong, In a sick society (Ozzy's "You're No Different" lyrics excerpt

Gregg Doyle, the sports columnist for IndyStar, is a bit salty with this news: [url]https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/02/06/doyel-josh-mcdaniels-selfish-little-jerk-but-did-colts-indy-favor/304619002/[/urrl]

What becomes of that rat is of no concern to me, not anymore, now that he has removed himself from our city and saved the Colts from themselves. And that, my friends, is how you need to see this: The Colts couldn’t do it on their own, so Josh McDaniels rescued them by withdrawing his name. And he did it for the most delightful of reasons: Apparently he thinks, giggle, he’s too good for them.

Imagine that. The ultimate daddy’s boy, born on third base and believing he hit a triple, thinks he’s too good to coach the Colts. Handed his first coaching job when Daddy – a big-time high school coach in Ohio – called Nick Saban to get Josh onto Saban’s staff at Michigan State, McDaniels has never been big into self-awareness. “Hurricane Josh,” they called him in Denver when he blew into town in 2009 as coach of the Denver Broncos and carried himself with the gravitas of a Super Bowl winner, which Bill Belichick was, and not as a rookie coach who hadn’t done anything on his own ...

... which is what Josh McDaniels was in 2009.

It’s what he is today, too: He’s a guy who hasn’t accomplished anything as a head coach, unless you consider being fired in less than two seasons in Denver an achievement. Which, when you think about it …

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Doyle is a bit over the top, but several of us here have made similar points about McDaniels.
    1. He failed in Denver and ran out a franchise QB
    2. Is there an easier job in the NFL that being the OC for the Brady-led Patriots?
    3. Belichick's coaching tree is pretty pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sect309Fan View Post
    I think Doyle is a bit over the top, but several of us here have made similar points about McDaniels.
    1. He failed in Denver and ran out a franchise QB
    2. Is there an easier job in the NFL that being the OC for the Brady-led Patriots?
    3. Belichick's coaching tree is pretty pitiful.
    He did fail his first time, but the situation sucked pretty bad from day 1. Cutler wanted out the second Shanahan/Bates left. He didn't want to play under McDaniels at all, but finally went along with it...then McDaniels tried to get Cassell and it was all over from there. Looking back, Cutler ended up becoming a mediocre QB, so it wasn't a loss - maybe he saw that Cutler was never going to amount to much even though we all thought he was going to be the next big thing, who knows. At least the trade brought back a stable QB in Orton, and draft picks that ended up becoming Demaryious Thomas and Eric Decker. He also brought in Tim Tebow, who was their savior the year after he left. In addition, he brought in great offensive coaches (Gase, McCoy)...unfortunately, he couldn't assemble a defense to save his life, and also had his own version of spygate do him in...in fact, I believe the owner/gm said his spygate embarrassment was a major part of why he was fired. So while he certainly failed, I do wonder what would have happened if he was given a 3rd season, considering he put a lot of pieces in place for the great Denver offenses from 2012-2014. He may not have gotten Manning (who made that offense click), but I do wonder about it.

I think saying that being the OC for the Pats is easy is a testament to McDaniels. That offense was never explosive under Weis, but it could control the clock and score hen it needed to. Until McDaniels took over the offense, Brady had never thrown for 4000 yards, had seasons of more than 28 TDs, and never had a QB rating higher than 92. When he became OC, Brady became the Brady of today. Brady is a great QB on his own, but McDaniels elevates him dramatically.

Agreed, Belichick's tree is pretty awful for the most part. His college coaches he made are decent (Saban, Ferentz, Hill, O'Brien), his NFL coaching tree is not that great (Schwartz, O'Brien, and Mangini are his biggest standouts...yikes)

I think McDaniels could certainly be a great coach if he can find a defensive coordinator. I have to think that at this point, he is a little more mature, and having spent the last 7 years back in the assistant coach ranks, he has become less volatile. We will see in 2019/2020 if I am wrong.

I have every right to be pissed if I am Chris Ballard. And worse is the new coaches that already had left other organizations to work for McDaniels. He better get the Pats job because it's the only one he will ever get.
    What a long strange trip it's been...

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    He better get the Pats job because it's the only one he will ever get.
    Which has to be the reason why he went back to NE. He has to have some assurances in his contract being amended in or something. Either that, or Luck's injury is way worse than anticipated.

Here is a good story from the Indy paper with a timeline of what happened: https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...art/312617002/

Indianapolis HC candidates:

Frank Reich, Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator.
    Dan Campbell, New Orleans Saints assistant head coach/tight ends coach.
    Leslie Frazier, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator
    Tell me where do I belong, In a sick society (Ozzy's "You're No Different" lyrics excerpt

Yikes, not necessarily the hottest list of candidates...

Quote Originally Posted by Titansfan777 View Post
    Yikes, not necessarily the hottest list of candidates...
    The McDaniels effect.
    Plus 3 assistant coaches he chose to be with him at Indianapolis.

+ Reply to Thread