+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recent NBA Trade?

Default Recent NBA Trade?

Aside from being a Titans fan, I'm also a Utah Jazz fan by heart. For NBA fans like me, what do you think of the recent trade with the Cavs?

The Cavs were the biggest winners of the deadline. On paper, the team is far deadlier now, slightly better on defense, more athletic, taller, and allows for more spacing - especially when Love returns. If these guys play as well as they did before they got on the Cavs, then the Cavs are right in the thick of things with Boston.

Rose - dumping him was a smart move - huge liability on D, and is made of glass. The saddest fall of a NBA star I can remember
    IT - Locker room cancer. He took the Boston trade very hard, and combined with his height/injury/inability to defend, made him a liability
    Crowder - Was backing IT and also never meshed with LeBron bc their game is similar (rely on drives and relatively weak jump shots)
    Wade - I expect this will be Wade's last season. Watching him limp around is just sad. He is a shell of himself
    Fry - This one will hurt a bit. Fry is a solid man off of the bench
    Shumpert - Not really that much of a loss. He never seemed to replicate his NYK success in Cleveland

Meanwhile...they got back:
    Jordan Clarkson - Although not Kemba Walker, he is a decent guard who is an upgrade over Wade/Rose/IT. Can shoot, drive, and is an average defender. Not a great 3-point shooter, but makes up for it. He is a little like JR Smith in some bad ways, but we shall see.
    Larry Nance J - Athletic freak. Very raw, but has potential. He is already a solid defender, and can be moved around between PF/C without any drop off. Better O-rebounder than Tristan Thompson, surprisingly, too.
    Rodney Hood - Not a great defender, but is better than JR Smith. Is also much larger. Can knock down the 3 as well, and should have plenty of open looks to do that.
    George Hill - Legit backup PG who could easily start in a pinch. He is a solid defender (except with the Kings) and can score a bit, and is shooting almost 40% from 3.

The Cavs fixed up their biggest weaknesses - athleticism, backcourt size, shooting, and D. They also got rid of the locker room cancer guys, and set up their future a bit as well, as all of these guys (except Hill) are young. When Love comes back, the Cavs will be a force again. They only need to tread water and play .500 ball until then. The only thing that could have worked out better is if they could have gotten Dwight/DeAndre in a trade to play the 5 instead of Tristan, but that may have clogged the paint too much for LeBron to be as effective. The best way for LeBron to play is to have a ton of shooters around him to space the floor for his drives. I was hoping they would trade for Marc Gasol, as he is perfect for playing next to LeBron, but the Grizzlies weren't taking any offers apparently.

C-Thompson/Nance
    PF-Love/???
    SF-James/Green
    SG-Hood/Smith/Korver
    PG--Clarkson/Hill

I expect them to somehow manipulate the cap to get Brook Lopez and/or maybe Tony Allen if they become available in the coming days during the buyout period after the trade deadline.

As for my Grizzlies and Pistons, I was annoyed they couldn't deal Gasol. He is 33, and the Grizzlies are clearly about to enter a rebuild mode for 2 years or so, and by then Gasol will not be worth what he is now. He could have fetched a decent pick as well. I loved the Pistons trade for Griffin the other day. That was a big time trade that gave the Pistons the scariest frontcourt in the league IMO. I can't wait to see the Pistons in a couple weeks when everyone is hopefully healthy.
    Last edited by Titansfan777; 02-09-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    2/3 of the world is covered in water, the other 1/3 is covered by Charles Woodson

Hmm, good point. They seem to be a much efficient team now. The other question is, would they win the playoffs then?

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBrenton View Post
    Hmm, good point. They seem to be a much efficient team now. The other question is, would they win the playoffs then?
    Unless they have a series like Golden State did vs Dallas back around 2007, they have very little chance. The one X factor is Love. If he can somehow elevate his game a little more, or just play at his current level but play with a little better defense, they may have a shot. So much would have to go right, but they would have a shot. If this current team had Kyrie, I think they would win. As of now though, the Warriors are in a class of their own.

The biggest issue is that even if they beat Boston in the ECF, the Warriors have too much talent. That Durant signing made them unbeatable. Durant scores and rebounds as well as LeBron, but because of all that surrounding talent he has, he can take LeBron on 1v1 on defense, while Green gets to slide around and freelance on D, which is what makes Green so dangerous on that end of the floor. If you neutralize LeBron or have LeBron and Durant cancelling each other out in production, the Warriors have Curry, Thompson, and Green who can fill it up...the Cavs have Love/Hood/Clarkson, and thats about it. Which sounds more appealing?

The one saving grace may be Houston. I think they are the only team in the West that could potentially beat the Warriors. They would need Paul fully healthy, but they could do it. The Cavs beat the Rockets then in the finals if they match up.
    2/3 of the world is covered in water, the other 1/3 is covered by Charles Woodson

"The one saving grace may be Houston. I think they are the only team in the West that could potentially beat the Warriors. They would need Paul fully healthy, but they could do it."

I greatly agree with this.

+ Reply to Thread