+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AFC Wild card standings

Threaded View

Default AFC Wild card standings

While I hope the Titans can win the division, getting a wild card isn't as hard as it looked a few weeks ago.

1. Chargers 7-2 (5-1 AFC) - It is going to be hard for anyone to knock them out a playoff spot, and they have a win over the Titans already.

2. Bengals 5-4 (3-2 AFC)

3. Titans 5-4 (3-4 AFC)

4. Dolphins 5-5 (4-3 AFC) - have a win over Titans

5. Ravens 4-5 (4-3 AFC) - have a win over Titans

6. Colts 4-5 (3-4 AFC)

The Bengals have a fairly hard schedule remaining (@Ravens, Browns, Broncos, @Chargers, Raiders, @Browns, @Steelers). 8-8 seems to be their high point.

The Dolphins have a relatively easy schedule left (@Colts, Bills, Patriots, @Vikings, Jags, @Bills). 10-6 or 9-7 is possible.

I see the Colts games as the big ones. Win both, and we are much closer to the division title and a consolation wild card. Lose both, and the Titans are probably out of the playoffs. Split, and it becomes a tense battle for the wild card.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

2. The following user likes this post:

DieHardTitan (11-13-2018)

The Dolphins are probably going 8-8. 9-7 at best, and quite possibly 7-9. Not sure where you're gettimg 10-6 from.

I see them losing to the Colts, Vikings, and Patriots. They could very well lose one of their two games to Buffalo, especially the one in Buffalo, which happens to be the last game of their season. Cold, windy, and a warm weather team. Not a good recipe.

I am not sure why I said 10-6. I see them beating the Jags and the Bills twice. 8-8 does sound more likely for the Dolphins.

5. The following user likes this post:

DieHardTitan (11-13-2018)

You're right though, a few weeks ago it looked like it was the division or bust. At least we're very much in the thick of things for a wildcard spot. Hopefully Baltimore and the others continue to lose. Although it would be considerably sweeter if we just won the rest of our games and smacked the $hit out of all the teams in order division.

7. The following user likes this post:

Sect309Fan (11-13-2018)

1. Chargers 8-3 (5-2 AFC) - They will be in the playoff either as a wild card or a division champion (one game behind Chiefs)

2. Ravens 6-5 (6-3 AFC) - have a win over Titans

3. Colts 6-5 (5-4 AFC)

4. Dolphins 5-6 (4-4 AFC) - have a win over Titans

5. Bengals 5-6 (3-4 AFC)

6. Broncos 5-6 (3-5 AFC)

7. Titans 5-6 (3-6 AFC)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just looking at the standings, it looks horrible for us. But here are the schedules for all of these teams.

Ravens - @Falcons, @Chiefs, Bucs, @Chargers, Browns
    Colts - @Jags, @Texans, Cowboys, Giants, @Titans
    Dolphins - Bills, Patriots, @Vikings, Jags, @Bills
    Bengals - Broncos, @Chargers, Raiders, @Browns, @Steelers
    Broncos - @Bengals, @49ers, Browns, @Raiders, Chargers
    Titans - Jets, Jags, @Giants, Redskins, Colts

Let's assume the Titans win out, since I don't see any way they can make it a 9-7 with that AFC record. For the Titans to make the playoffs at 10-6, the following has to happen:

1. Ravens have to lose at least twice. That seems highly likely with their killer schedule.
    2. Dolphins need to lose at least once. Patriots and @Vikings are good choices.
    3. Bengals need to lose at least once. Practically guaranteed.
    4. Broncos need to lose at least once. It would be great for the Bengals to do it in the first game. The Browns might win too. I just worry the Chargers game won't matter to LA.

The good news is that it doesn't matter if the Colts win or lose their other four games, as long as they lose our game. If both teams at 10-6 at that point, the Titans win the third tiebreaker - common games. The first tiebreaker would be split, and the both teams would be 4-2 in the division.

The Titans have a reasonable path to the playoffs. But the pressure is on them to win these next four games to gain their confidence back where they can compete with Indy. If the Titans-Colts game was Sunday, I would expect the Colts to win. But win the next four games, and the Titans will have a lot of momentum.

9. 2 Users Liked This Post

hooktool (11-28-2018), Yvette (12-06-2018)

I don't care about the Chargers, so here are the standings for the 2nd wild card spot after today:

1. Ravens 7-5 (6-3 AFC) - have a win over Titans

2. Dolphins 6-6 (5-4 AFC) - have a win over Titans

3. Colts 6-6 (5-5 AFC)

4. Broncos 6-6 (4-5 AFC)

5. Titans 6-6 (4-6 AFC)

The Colts don't matter, though we gained the division tiebreaker over them with their loss to the Jags today. Bengals lost, so they are out of the picture.

The big games next week are Ravens@Chiefs and Patriots@Dolphins. Maybe there is a chance of the Broncos losing at 49ers as well.

11. The following user likes this post:

Yvette (12-06-2018)

If the Ravens don't lose two games, the alternative is for the Steelers to lose two. They play @Raiders, Patriots, @Saints, and Bengals. Those middle two are killer.

What a great day for the Titans! If not for a miracle play, everything would have gone our way.

Titans have two paths to the playoffs by winning out.

1. Texans lose at least two

2. Dolphins lose at least one AND Steelers and/or Ravens lose at least one.

The Steelers are not going to win out, and the Dolphins still have two tough games at the Vikings and the Bills. The Texans will be challenged by the Jets and Eagles.

MCM has also listed a scenario to get into the playoffs at 9-7. The last one is key, as it is much easier to get in with a loss to the Giants but wins over the Redskins and Colts than losing to the Colts in the final game. But let's hope the Titans win out.

Either BAL OR PIT lose two more.
    MIA loses two more.
    DEN loses one more.
    IND either loses two more OR loses to TEN.

And now for the ultimate good luck scenario.

Titans win out
    Texans and Patriots both lose at least 2
    Ravens, Steelers, and Dolphins all lose at least 1

Titans would get the #2 seed and a first round bye.

As mentioned before, the Titans win the division if they win out and Texans lose at least 2. They are the #4 seed if the Ravens or Steelers win out, the #3 seed if both lose at least one game, and the #2 seed in the above scenario. I just don't see the Patriots losing two with this schedule (@Steelers, Bills, Jets).

Fat chance for that one. And I'm an optimist!
    “Now What?’’

+ Reply to Thread