+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee's 2019 Draft Picks

Default Tennessee's 2019 Draft Picks

1- DT Jeffrey Simmons - Mississipi St. (was JRob regreting not signing Suh too much?)
    Tell me where do I belong, In a sick society (Ozzy's "You're No Different" lyrics excerpt

I am pleased with this pick. Sure, he won't be able to play for at least half the season, but our first rounds picks the last two years have been in the same situation. Top 10 pick at #19 should benefit the Titans for years to come. I also don't see him as another Pac-Man for something he did defending his family at age 18.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

I just hate when the draft pick was announced nobody talked about whether he could play or not but rather this guy beat up a woman, here’s that video.

4. The following user likes this post:

Sect309Fan (04-26-2019)

2nd round selection - WR A.J. Brown Ole Miss
    Tell me where do I belong, In a sick society (Ozzy's "You're No Different" lyrics excerpt

6. 2 Users Liked This Post

Sect309Fan (04-26-2019), TitanPop (04-26-2019)

WR just fell to us. This pick should really help Marcus.

8. 3 Users Liked This Post

barnybyrd (04-27-2019), HALL45ROX (04-27-2019), TitanPop (04-26-2019)

I can't believe Brown fell to the Titans.

No-brainer pick.

Titanup
    JUST WAITING ON 2019, GO TITANS!!!
    ∆ so far it is just so so BAD!∆

10. 4 Users Liked This Post

barnybyrd (04-27-2019), HALL45ROX (04-27-2019), Sect309Fan (04-27-2019), Titanico (04-27-2019)

I'm not overly thrilled with this draft so far. It's not that I don't like the individual picks in a vacuum. I think getting Simmons at #19 was a great pick and I was thrilled when they called his name. However, the excitement came with a caveat; we had to pick someone in the second or third round that will get pressure on opposing QBs THIS year or the pick was in vain. I understand taking a chance on a top 5 player at #19 but the defense needs help now. Then we picked Brown, who I'm fairly neutral on as a player, don't love him or hate him as a player. I suppose he's okay as far as this year's receiver class goes, but I'd much rather have seen us go in just about any direction but yet another middling WR. That pick forced us to choose between a pass rusher and a guard in the third round. We chose the guard and we needed both. We would lose either way.

So we've gone through the first three rounds and came away with no one that makes this defense better this year. I believe Simmons will be a terrific player when he finally hits the ground running but we couldn't rush the passer last year and did nothing to improve in that area with this draft. But we did waste a second round pick pick on a #3 receiver, assuming he beats out Taylor or Sharpe. If they were going to look for depth at the position, they should have waited until the fourth or fifth round. I'm happy to have Davis at guard but the Brown pick pretty much tanked this draft, for this season at least. Now we're down to rounds 4-7 and the impact rushers are gone and we're depth-mining to fill special teams and find camp bodies, which would be fine if this team was just a player or two away. But this team has been 9-7 three straight seasons. It doesn't have the luxury of drafting like a Super Bowl contender. It needs impact players.
    The Tennessee Titans - good for whatever ails you!

Wow, you are severely underrating AJ Brown. When you draft the best receiver ever from an SEC team, that is impressive. He won't displace Corey Davis this year as the #1 receiver, but he could in the next two years. Plus, he was a steal in the 2nd round.

The weak point of the Titans is not the defense (who were #1 for a while last year), but the offense. Mariota is in the final year of his contract and needed a WR badly (Sharpe and Taylor are just too inconsistent to start). A starting group of Davis, Humphries, and Brown (along with Walker) should finally allow the passing game to flourish.

The Titans will draft an edge rusher today, but I never saw that position as bigger than WR, Oline, and D-line.

13. 3 Users Liked This Post

barnybyrd (04-27-2019), hooktool (04-27-2019), TitanPop (04-27-2019)

I loved our first two picks. Simmons was a dumbass and that video of him from a couple years back was truly awful, but it sounds like outside of that he has been a model citizen. Sucks he is going to basically miss this season, but if that means getting a monster for the final couple of game in 2019 or a full season in 2020, then so be it.

AJ Brown is a great pick, and should pay off immediately as one of our starting 3 WRs. Not overly fast on the top end, but is very quick and is built like a power back. I can see the Boldin/JuJu comparisons with him. He probably spells the end of Tajae in Tennessee as well.

Didn't get to see our final pick, but seems like a solid pick that may start one day.

Marcus Mariota gets another shiny new WR to play with. The guy really needs to get it together this season, otherwise it may be time to look into a QB for 2020.
    Last edited by Titansfan777; 04-27-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    **** **** **** ADMIN - PLEASE DELETE ACCOUNT **** **** ****

15. 3 Users Liked This Post

barnybyrd (04-27-2019), Sect309Fan (04-27-2019), TitanPop (04-27-2019)

3RD Round - Nate Davis - Guard

A very dominant type of guard and physical. I was having high hopes so the OL could be addressed, give it more depth. Another point which added into my equation was looking at Lewan injured.

This draft has been receiving another good treatment, and hoping those players who were drafted on 2018 can really start producing more.

Round 4 will start shortly..and the most sounded rumor is that the F.O. is going after another Q.B.

I really like the Davis pick. I think he's a great value there in the third. He will likely be a Day 1 starter. And it's not that I dislike AJ Brown, but the guy's going to be a #3 receiver this year unless someone gets hurt and he steps up. With Walker, Davis, and Humphries on the squad already, that slots him for about 25-35 catches in this offense. It would be different if we threw the ball 40 or 50 times a game like some teams do but we're a run-oriented team. There aren't a lot of balls to go around and using yet another pick on a WR seems like overkill. If they wanted to help the offense that badly, use the 2nd on a center and the 3rd on Davis. That would have helped more than Brown. I hope the kid does great long-term but the pick severely handicaps the team for this season. We had an anemic pass rush last year and lost Arakpo and Morgan. We're not going to beat Luck, Watson, and Foles without a consistent pass rush. I think the Brown pick haunts this team the rest of the year.

One other draft-related topic I'd like to address. I watched the NFL Network's coverage Thursday night. They did little but announce the Simmons pick and move on. It was a little jarring after watching in-depth analysis on every young man picked before him. The host city's pick was barely mentioned. Then I'm reading today on various sites that ESPN talked about him, but only the negatives like the fight. Some said it sounded like they were reading a rap sheet and made little mention of his skills. Did anyone see their coverage? If so, what was your take on it? If it went down the way everyone described, I feel bad for the kid. But since no one wanted to show his highlights on the biggest night of his life, I found this on Youtube. You can see what a beast this kid is going to be. Can you imagine this kid beside Casey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlZIQc-eviI

TGB, I went back and looked at my DVR recording of night one of the ABC/ESPN coverage. Immediately after the pick, the first commentator said that the Titans drafted a real difference maker. Then they showed Simmons hugging and crying with his family. Then a graphic about the fight in high school went up, along with the commentator saying that Coach Mullins gave Simmons a second chance and took full advantage of it. Finally they showed several highlights of Simmons in college.

So while the fight was brought up, I didn't see much negativity from ABC/ESPN, at least not while the pick was made. Sure, it would have been nice to go immediately to the highlights, but they did show them.

Now I have no idea what the NFL Network did, and it's possible they were the ones that talked about the incident the whole time.
    Last edited by Sect309Fan; 04-27-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TitansGiantsBears View Post
    I think the Brown pick haunts this team the rest of the year.
    I think completely the opposite. It is the pick that gives the Titans a chance at the playoffs. Going into the season with just Davis, Humphries, Sharpe, and Taylor as the WR corp is just not enough. Now the Titans can use the whole field, and don't forget that Brown is a great blocker as well to help the run game. I see Brown as our #1 receiver within a year or two (sorry, Corey).

Our offense is the weak point of the team, and has been for years. We may finally have a receiving corp that is worth something.

Titans trade up with the Jets to get Amani Hooker, DB, from Iowa. We didn't lose any picks either, though we will draft later in the 5th round.

This appears to a BPA move. He is a 2nd day talent picked up in the 3rd day.
    Last edited by Sect309Fan; 04-27-2019 at 12:27 PM.

22. The following user likes this post:

TitansGiantsBears (04-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sect309Fan View Post
    TGB, I went back and looked at my DVR recording of night one of the ABC/ESPN coverage. Immediately after the pick, the first commentator said that the Titans drafted a real difference maker. Then they showed Simmons hugging and crying with his family. Then a graphic about the fight in high school went up, along with the commentator saying that Coach Mullins gave Simmons a second chance and took full advantage of it. Finally they showed several highlights of Simmons in college.

So while the fight was brought up, I didn't see much negativity from ABC/ESPN, at least not while the pick was made. Sure, it would have been nice to go immediately to the highlights, but they did show them.

Now I have no idea what the NFL Network did, and it's possible they were the ones that talked about the incident the whole time.
    ESPN spent 3-4 minutes talking about the fight and telling the audience "hold on this is graphic, we will show the video, but this is graphic, we are warning you" etc... They didn't even show film of him (maybe 1 play tops) before the next pick was in.

Quote Originally Posted by Titansfan777 View Post
    ESPN spent 3-4 minutes talking about the fight and telling the audience "hold on this is graphic, we will show the video, but this is graphic, we are warning you" etc... They didn't even show film of him (maybe 1 play tops) before the next pick was in.
    So it sounds like the ESPN coverage was different from the ABC coverage, despite the ABC coverage using the ESPN college gameday crew. What crew did the ESPN coverage use? I would have assumed they were the same, but apparently they were not.

We get D’Andre Walker, edge, in the 5th round. Some fans on MCM felt like we should have taken him in the 4th round, so this sounds like a great pickup in the 5th.

Just one more player to go. So far, this may be the best draft under JRob.

Our final pick is David Long, JR, ILB.
    Last edited by Sect309Fan; 04-27-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sect309Fan View Post
    So it sounds like the ESPN coverage was different from the ABC coverage, despite the ABC coverage using the ESPN college gameday crew. What crew did the ESPN coverage use? I would have assumed they were the same, but apparently they were not.
    The ESPN broadcast was Trey Wingo, Louis Riddick, Mel Kiper, and Booger McFarland. With Mortenson and Schefter chiming in from another set nearby. Wingo was the guy who immediately went “we need to talk about this man, and it will be uncomfortable” right as Simmons name left the commissioners mouth. He then went into a ~4 minute piece about him and basically **** on him until the next pick. The tape is awful, but the guy appears to be a model citizen, student, and football player outside of 10 bad seconds of his life.

The fact that the 4 main guys was what would have been the ESPN D-team just a couple of years ago shows how far they have fallen in talent.

I grew up on ESPN and used to love the programs and solid hosts and commentary. I am not sure when it started to happen, but the channel’s transformation into manufactured storylines, fake shouting match hot take debate shows, and larger than life personalities (here is looking at you, Stephen A. Smith) has made the network unwatchable. Besides that, the over-reliance on superstar players and focusing on only huge markets is very annoying. Outside of when a team I root for is playing on their channel, I never watch it anymore. The product they put out there is just garbage at this point and it’s a shame.
    Last edited by Titansfan777; 04-27-2019 at 03:56 PM.

28. The following user likes this post:

barnybyrd (04-27-2019)

+ Reply to Thread