+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Titans stats after 4 games

Default Titans stats after 4 games

It's time for another "where do the Titans stand" stat report.

Offense
    #26 Overall yards (321.8 ypg)
    #13 Points (22.8 ppg)
    #28 Passing yards (202.8 ypg)
    #12 Rushing yards (119.0 ypg)
    #25 3rd down conversion rate (34.0%)
    #29 sacks allowed (17)
    #5 (tie) Red Zone scoring (70.0%)
    #6 QB Rating (106.2)

Defense
    #14 Overall yards (337.0 ypg)
    #4 Points (15.5 ppg)
    #14 Passing yards (233.3 ypg)
    #15 Rushing yards (103.8 ypg)
    #6 3rd down conversion rate (30.6%)
    #5 (tie) sacks (13)
    #26 (tie) Red Zone scoring (70.0%)

#3 Turnover ratio (+5)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I missed something, please let me know.

One thing that surprised me was that the defensive numbers are good, but I hesitate to call it a top 10 defense just yet. The best stat is scoring defense, and the Titans have been good at sacks and turnovers. But the defense is nowhere near as stingy in the red zone as they were last year (44.68%) and they give up a lot of yards. (I want to see more stats in the top 10, basically)

On the offensive side, red zone scoring, QB rating, and rushing are pretty good. The passing offense still doesn't generate even an average number of yards, so hopefully that can be improved with more production from Brown and Davis. Mariota is one of three QBs without an interception (Mahomes and Wilson) and the only one without any turnovers.

What we have observed over 4 games is that if the Titans can take a 2 score lead, they will pound the ball and run out the clock, while the defense is pretty good at making stops. If they fall behind, it is a struggle to catch up, as well as keeping a small lead.

There is definitely room for improvement offensively and defensively, but this team did a terrific job bouncing back from a terrible effort against the Jags. Now they have to build on this win.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

2. The following user likes this post:

BoroTitan (10-05-2019)

What surprises you about the defense? I knew that that team was a strong point of this team. Just think, whenever Simmons comes back. Look out

The defense is definitely the strength of the team, but the numbers give two different stories. From a strength standpoint, they have held 3 of their opponents to their lowest point totals of the season, and likely would have held the Jags to their lowest if not for the gimmie TD after the muffed punt. They have put pressure on the QB and forced a decent number of turnovers.

From a weakness standpoint, they give up a decent number of yards both passing and rushing, and when teams do get to the red zone, those teams score TDs most of the time.

One stat that I found out this week is that our opponents' starting field position is dead last in the league (which is a positive for the Titans). That is a combination of zero turnovers by our offense and terrific punting (and punt coverage). Our opponents start out on their own 22.29 yard line (and that includes the muffed punt which allowed the Jags to start on the Titans 7 yard line). In contrast, the Titans have the 5th best starting field position, on the 31.22 yard line.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

5. The following user likes this post:

BoroTitan (10-19-2019)

+ Reply to Thread