+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Titans - Colts gameday thread

Ryan with the int!
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

Tannehill to Raymond for a 40 yard td!

Defense has to be careful here. Colts near the ten.

Titans challenge..might be titans ball if called a fumble.

Fumble! Titans need to run out the clock.

Final 30-17! Only the second win at Lucas Oil. Great win despite some frustrating moments. But all phases contributed to the win.

Too bad the Steelers are going to win. Hopefully the Pats beat the Texans tonight.

7. The following user likes this post:

Yvette (12-01-2019)

The only stinker series to me was the one where we ended up kicking the field goal after the Byard INT. We ran Henry up the middle left which is never very productive since the middle of our line is garbage. Then we ran Henry in the wildcat. Then we were in long-to-go and brought Lewis in which pretty much kills any drive. That was a messy sequence with an opportunity to take the lead. It didn't matter in the end but I'm still not impressed with Arthur Smith as a playcaller. I am happy he didn't forget Henry today. It looked for a little while there in the second quarter that we were going away from him but we got back to the run. When we run Henry and he's picking up positive yards early, we should never go away from that. He's only going to get stronger and harder to tackle as the game wears on. He has to take care of the football though. He's never been known as a fumbler but he's put the ball on the ground a few times lately.
    The Tennessee Titans - good for whatever ails you!

I kept seeing the Colts holding throughout the first half. Some of them were blatant and right in front of an official. Their receivers and TE's were especially guilty for most of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TitansGiantsBears View Post
    The only stinker series to me was the one where we ended up kicking the field goal after the Byard INT. We ran Henry up the middle left which is never very productive since the middle of our line is garbage. Then we ran Henry in the wildcat. Then we were in long-to-go and brought Lewis in which pretty much kills any drive. That was a messy sequence with an opportunity to take the lead. It didn't matter in the end but I'm still not impressed with Arthur Smith as a playcaller. I am happy he didn't forget Henry today. It looked for a little while there in the second quarter that we were going away from him but we got back to the run. When we run Henry and he's picking up positive yards early, we should never go away from that. He's only going to get stronger and harder to tackle as the game wears on. He has to take care of the football though. He's never been known as a fumbler but he's put the ball on the ground a few times lately.
    While we didn't convert a first down there, we did score all three offensive TDs on third and fourth down. When the Titans needed to be clutch, they were, and I think Arthur Smith has improved greatly these last three games. It certainly has helped having an accurate, fearless QB like Tannehill, and a great running back in Henry. My main question is why were there so many sacks?

Smile

This was a frustrating play. Even the explanation provided by New York doesn't make much sense. On the field, in real time, you can see the ref waive off the catch and hear his whistle blow. At that point two Titans attempted to recover and one of the Colts pounced on the ball. After review, it was then ruled a catch and a fumble but that clear recovery couldn't be established. However, if it was a catch, the ball should have been spotted at either the spot where Brown was down or where the ball went out of bounds, depending upon the booth interpretation. But it was brought back to the line of scrimmage. There should never be an instance where a ball is caught downfield and ruled a catch and then brought back to the line of scrimmage by rule.

Furthermore, none of that mess should have happened at all. The ball should have been dead at the point the official waived off the catch and blew his whistle. Everything after that is irrelevant. I think the Titans players heard that whistle land let up. That sequence contributed to the recovery by the Colts. Either team should have been able to challenge the catch but not the fumble, due to the official's actions.

Edit: Sorry, tried quoting you twice and it showed up in the text box but when it published, the quote was missing. Tried it twice on the quote below as well. I guess it's just a weird glitch.
    Last edited by TitansGiantsBears; 12-01-2019 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Glitch

I thought Smith called a horrible game against the Jags. Sure, it was a win and I'll take it but a back like Henry is made for protecting big leads in the fourth quarter. He touched the ball a total of six times in the second half after his 7 yard TD and only once in the fourth quarter. That's poor coaching and shows a fundamental lack of understanding in how to run an offense. When you have a running back like Henry and a big lead late in the game, you make them stop him if he's running all over them. You put the foot on their throats and choke them out, just demoralize them. I was aggravated after that Jacksonville game. I thought Smith called such a poor game that it felt almost like a loss to me. I thought Smith did a much better job utilizing Henry this week (11 carries after we were in control) but I don't like him as a coordinator at all.

Back in the day, the Cowboys, Giants, and Redskins used to kill people when they'd get up by 10 or so points going into the fourth quarter. You'd get a heavy diet of Emmitt Smith for the Cowboys, Joe Morris, Rodney Hampton, or Otis Anderson for the Giants, and John Riggins or Gerald Riggs with the Redskins. Those guys churned out a big part of their career yardage in that exact situation. That's how the Titans need to lean on Henry in the fourth quarter. Instead they get cute and do TE sweeps with Jonnu or waste an entire drive bringing in Lewis. Whenever I see Lewis take the field, I assume the drive is over before it starts. He should never play as a running back in the fourth quarter... ever, and rarely in any other quarter. It's a different ball game if the Titans are trailing by a big deficit but when they're in control of a game late, it should be Henry, Henry, Henry if they're not stopping him.

Don't you think they replaced Henry with Lewis against the Jags to prevent him from suffering an unnecessary injury? The Titans were up 42-20 with only 4:48 left in the game. Heck, I thought they might put in Mariota. And it was only one drive (the final drive was just Tannehill kneeling).

Henry ran a lot in the 2nd half, gaining 133 of his 159 yards. That appears to be great coaching.
    Last edited by Sect309Fan; 12-01-2019 at 07:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread