+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jay Cutler gets UGA in trouble?

Default Jay Cutler gets UGA in trouble?

The Georgia football program is reportedly in "hot water" after Jay Cutler gave four Broncos-Falcons tickets to then-Bulldogs quarterback Matt Stafford.

Stafford then distributed three of them to teammates. If the report is true, Stafford violated NCAA regulations and the Bulldogs risk losing scholarships, or may face other penalties. Dogs FB Shaun Chapas confirmed that he got a ticket, but says he donated $40 to a Boys and Girls Club in exchange. Georgia didn't report the violation(s) until after Stafford declared for the draft.
    Collegefootballtalk.com

I am not a Jay Cutler fan...but this seems a little extreme over a few tickets...JMO.
    RIP Leslie Nielsen. You were funny!

College athletes cannot recieve gifts from outside sources. Those are the rules.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

3. 2 Users Liked This Post

nikki32 (07-09-2009), TitansJonne (02-28-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Sect309Fan View Post
    College athletes cannot recieve gifts from outside sources. Those are the rules.
    I know...it is just...tickets? I know the rules and you are totally right...it is just...wow...they could lose a lot of stuff because of this.
    RIP Leslie Nielsen. You were funny!

Quote Originally Posted by nikki32 View Post
    I know...it is just...tickets? I know the rules and you are totally right...it is just...wow...they could lose a lot of stuff because of this.
    Alabama had to give up a bunch of wins just because of textbooks. It doesn't take much.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

The NCAA is ridiculous with its exhaustive rulebook and witch-hunt mentality over possible violations. True recruiting violations are one thing but you can't expect these kids to juggle their responsibilities as students and athletes alongside being experts on the NCAA rule book. As of May 31, 2009 the rulebook was 412 pages! Coaches and administrators who are paid big money have a hard enough time maintaining compliance within their own ranks. There are some things that are obvious - you can't take money, sign with an agent, endorsements, etc, that every player should know. It's ludicrous to expect student-athletes to know and interpet the minutiae of NCAA law.

I know it seems over the edge but these rules are put in place for a reason. Though it seems harmless, other sources try these things to influence player decisions and the NCAA knows this. They just want to keep things fair.
    I Go By My Own Rules.Nobody Else's.Not Even My Own.

+ Reply to Thread