+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Titans vs. Chiefs AFC Championship!

Threaded View

Default Titans vs. Chiefs AFC Championship!

The only time the Titans made the Super Bowl was 20 years ago in Super Bowl XXXIV . The Chiefs have been twice, but their last appearance was 50 years ago, when they beat the Vikings in Super Bowl IV.

While I definitely want the Titans to win, at least a team with a bigger drought than us would make if it we lose. There is also a chance that in this 100th anniversary of the NFL season, their might be a rematch of Super Bowl I (Packers-Chiefs).

Andy Reid has had more problems with the Titans than any other team in the league. He is 1-8 as a head coach (Eagles and Chiefs) against us. The Titans are also 5-1 at Arrowhead and have won the last 4 in the series (which includes the playoff win 2 years ago).

------------------------

Looking back at the Chiefs-Titans game earlier this year, that game had several themes that we have seen so far in the playoffs.

1. Henry had 188 yards and 2 TDs. This was a breakout game for Henry, who had only hit even 100 yards just once this season. After that game, he had 100+ yards in 6 of the 7 games, and 149+ yards in 5 of the 7 games.

2. Mahomes had 433 yards and 3 TDs, but those were the only TDs in 9 potential scoring drives. The Chiefs had to settle for 4 made field goals, with 1 field goal botched and another one blocked at the very end. The Titans defense is giving up a ton of yards, but they are stopping the opposition for getting TDs more often than not.

3. The Titans just score TDs. They had 2 red zone TDs, 1 long run by Henry for a TD, and one recovered fumble for a TD. It is still amazing to think the Titans have kicked just one field goal in these last 9 games, and they have won 7 of them.

--------------------------------------

Another amazing thing about this series is the Titans ability to come back from a double digit deficit and late deficit, as well as stopping the Chiefs last effort.

2019 - The Chiefs scored a quick TD, and then the Titans fumbled on their first drive. The Titans were quickly in a 10-0 hole. The Titans were also down by 9 early in the 4th quarter, but rallied with 2 4th quarter TDs. Game ended on a blocked field goal.

2017 - The Chiefs were up 21-3 because of a TD right before halftime. The Titans shut them out the 2nd half and scored 3 TDs for the win. With just a one point lead, the Titans stopped the the Chiefs on 4th down in Titans territory and then ran out the clock for the win.

2016 - The Chiefs took a 14-0 lead after 1 quarter and a 17-7 lead at halftime. The Titans scored a field goal and a TD, but went for 2 late and failed. After a failed onside kick, the defense forced a 3 and out, giving the Titans one more chance. Succop kicked the game winner at the end.
    Go Titans! Go Braves! Go Preds! Go Dores!

Big X factor will be Kelce's health. If his hamstring prevents him from playing, that's a massive loss for the Chiefs. Fascinating matchup of different styles ain't it?
    What a long strange trip it's been...

3. The following user likes this post:

Sect309Fan (01-13-2020)

I imagine Kelce will play, though whether he can last the whole game or not is still in question, as is how effective he will be. When he got hurt against the Titans in the last playoff game, it helped us so much.

I really don't see any surprises this game. The Chiefs are going to pass a lot on us, and we are going to run on them, though Tannehill will still have to keep that red zone scoring going. Turnovers and special teams likely determine the winner.

It's hard to not be optimistic after beating the Super Bowl champs and the #1 seed in the playoffs. We have beaten the #1 scoring and yardage defense (with the Ravens in the top 5 in both), and we have beaten the #1 scoring / #2 yardage offense. If the Titans can do that, they can beat anyone.

Summary for all the historic reasons the Titans will win Sunday:

Titans have won 4 straight over Chiefs
    Titans are 5-1 at Arrowhead
    Teams that score 50+ points in playoffs are 1-5 the next game
    Reid is 1-8 against the Titans
    Reid is 1-5 in Championship games
    Titans beat the #1 defense and #1 offense in consecutive games, and they held those teams to 13 and 12 points.
    Over the last 5 years, there have been 7 rematches in the championship games. The winner of the previous game is 6-1.
    It will be around 22 degrees, the same as Derrick Henry's number.

We can use this as the game day thread.

Man, it is going to be freezing today, with the temperature around 18 degrees but feel like it is 5. You would think that would help the Titans, being the more physical team, though the Titans have played in so many warm games this year (including playing a 65+ degree game in Baltimore last week) that I just hope they handle the cold ok.

I feel like the Titans should win this game, which makes me nervous. The more confident I get, the more the Titans have let me down. But I was confident going in the Patriots game, and that paid off.

No lead is safe. We have seen the last three Titans-Chiefs game where the Chiefs took control early only to lose it. We saw the Texans-Chiefs game last week where the Texans choked badly (no fake punts today, Vrabel...). I just hope we can take an early lead and use the ground game to keep the clock rolling. While I do think we can win in a shootout (Tannehill can move us up and down the field quickly if needed), I have liked how we won these last two.

I am going over to a friend's house today to watch the game (I usually go over there for SuperBowl parties), and since he streams the game via Hulu, my reactions are going to be delayed. I do hope some of you join this thread today. This season has been one for the ages, and I really don't want to see it end today.

Go Titans!!!!

Humphries is playing, which is good.

Good luck Titans fans!

Great play to Brown!

Davis with a first down.

3-0 Titans!

Sack!!!!

Big run by Henry. offense is clicking.

Interception should be overturned.

Big fourth down conversion!

First and goal!

Henry runs it in!

Defense needs a stop here. hold them to a field goal

Hill scored a TD. Bound to happen.

10-7.

Corey Davis to midfield!

And another first down run by Henry

+ Reply to Thread